RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hornady lock and load nightmare.

Boolit Master

hornady lock and load nightmare.

a friend of mind just purchase a hornady reloading press..... and adjusting it to load his 357 he noticed that on the seating station when he tried to adjust the crimp die it would bump on the ejector spring in a way that he could not crimp... phone Hornady and the answer given is that he should use Hornady die..... mmmmmm.....and at his suggestion of cutting the crimp die so he could crimp he said it is not recommended.... so If you have any suggestion it would be welcome.... the other thing that he notice is that there is a bit of play when he full length reseize the die seems to go up a little in the lock and load system.....help......the dealer told him he will take it back if he is not satisfied... should he jump on the offer and buy a Dillon..... thank you Michel.....

Michel: I had the same problem with 45ACP. I cut the bottom off the RCBS taper crimp die and it works fine.

I think you'll also find that the case feeder needs to be lubed where the plunger pushes on the angled surface to make it swing.

And.....the primer feed. The hole in the shuttle that accepts the primer needs to be chamfered quite a bit, kinda like a funnel at the top. And the back edge of the hole needs to be honed so it doesn't catch on the next primer in the stack.

And......the powder measure. Take it apart and lube the rotor and the surface it rotates in with graphite or moly. And replace the return spring with one that's much, MUCH lighter.

And.....keep a can of air handy. Crud gets inside the primer punch assembly and needs to be blown out occasionally.

It was kinda frustrating at first, but with a little tweaking it works great.

Enjoy.
    Jerry

He will be way a head of the game if he takes it back and gets the Dillon. Ask yourself do you want a Chevy or a Cadie?
    Best regards, Baldy.

Boolit Grand Master

You cannot beat a Dillon - both the equipment and the service is absolutely top drawer.

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Yes, take it back and get a Dillon.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

I have to disagree. I've had a LNL Progressive since they first came out. I love mine. Dillions are fine (except for the crappy powder hopper....I can't believe they don't make them easy to adjust) (oh and changing primer sizes I've found can be a real PITA!), but the Hornady just seems smoother. Also, the customer service at Hornady (in my opinion) is as good as that at Dillion. The folks bend over backwards and seend me anything that I ask for at the drop of a hat and for free.

If I ask for a depriming pin, they say "No charge" and send me half a dozen.

Great customer service should be rewarded by loyalty, but not to the point of slamming other companies that have great customer service.

I think both Dillion and Hornady are great machines...but dollar for dollar, the Hornady is IMHO a much better bargin.
    “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son. I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by canuck4570
    ... phone Hornady and the answer given is that he should use Hornady die.....

I take it that your friend is not using Hornady dies?

If so then getting Hornady dies will likely solve the problem.
    Last edited by Sixgun Symphony; 08-26-2006 at 12:17 AM.

Boolit Master

l n l

yes but who want to spend a couple of hundred dollars for new dies he load for about 20 different caliber.....

Quote Originally Posted by canuck4570
    yes but who want to spend a couple of hundred dollars for new dies he load for about 20 different caliber.....
    Email sent.

jim

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    I have owned a Dillon 550 and I now have a Hornady. I have to disagree that Dillon 550 or 650 is better. My experience with both of them has shown me different. I've found the priming systems to be about the same, the case feeders to be about the same, the Hornady LnL CAPD powder measure to be signicantly better and so much faster to setup there's no comparison, changerovers are faster and cheaper and the press will load anything I ask of it.

A lot of folks like their Dillons, but to say it's a better press these days is just plain wrong. It used to be, but no longer is. My best buddy has a Dillon 650 now and I load on both. It's not a cadillac to chevy comparison. It's more like a Chevy Vs. Ford. My Hornady loads me typically 25-50 more rounds per hour than I can get out of my buddy's 650. The setup time on his is just a killer. Plus he's got all this extra junk he's had to buy, such as extra powder measures, to cut down on setup time. I haven't had to do that.

The situation as you describe it isn't a nightmare. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Your friend, if he has the internet and is reading any of the reloading forums, would have known about the ejector wire. It's a known issue and is probably the only one the press has. A lot less of a pita than the crappy Dillon powder measure.

As far as the dies go, the only die that actually has an issue is the crimp die if he's running it in the last slot. Just grind or file a little off the base of the die on the side next to the ejector wire so it'll clear the ejector wire. Only need to remove a 1/32th or so of metal on the one side. Simple fix, works well and is what I do with all my lee factory crimp dies, which is probably what your friend is using, though you didn't say so.

Another fix is retrofitting the ejector wire with the old projector ejector, though I don't know how that would affect the case feeder. I felt taking a little metal off the fat Lee FCD was a simple enough solution, since I prefer them over any other crimping die.
    Last edited by DaveInFloweryBranchGA; 08-26-2006 at 02:11 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I see so many complaints about Lee progressives, Hornady and even the persistant one about the Dillon powder measure; but never a peep from anyone with an RCBS Pro-2000. Closest thing to a complaint is having to empty the powder measure when changing powders - which is something that just has to be done. Everything else - priming system (APS is just wonderful; doesn't matter is you are using the press, bench or hand tools), changing the priming size, emptying the primer catcher and how well it works, changing dies, changing the shell plate or resetting the powder measure setting is either easier or as easy as any other press on the market. I am so glad that I picked a Pro-2000 press over the others.

I have a LnL press with the case feed system and I love it. You do need a can of air handy in the event that you spill powder in the primer mechanism. Of course, the only way that happened is if you run out of primers. I too have used a Dillon 650 and they are about equal in quality and performance. Each has trade offs. The Dillan powder measure is inconvenient and primitive. It's a fair copy of the old Star unit. The Hornady LnL measure is much easier to use and far friendlier with stick powders such as the IMRs. Also, either of the two RCBS rotors can be used and if one wanted to, the smaller rotor designed for pistol powders could be subbed for the larger standard rotor. The infinite adjustment screw can be swapped out for the micrometer screw too if you are so inclined but I drop very accurate charges of Bullseye using just the basic unit.

I had the die issue too. I solved it by doing a little grinding. After the initial discovery, I just bought Hornady Dies for a future calibers. The fact that the LnL has more die stations is a HUGE plus for cast bullet reloaders. I think the Dillan CS is better but not so much so that it makes Hornady look bad. It's just easier and a tad more generous. Stick with the LnL, you won't be sorry nor will you be settling for 2nd class tools.
    Last edited by omgb; 08-26-2006 at 05:07 PM.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird
    I see so many complaints about Lee progressives, Hornady and even the persistant one about the Dillon powder measure; but never a peep from anyone with an RCBS Pro-2000. Closest thing to a complaint is having to empty the powder measure when changing powders - which is something that just has to be done. Everything else - priming system (APS is just wonderful; doesn't matter is you are using the press, bench or hand tools), changing the priming size, emptying the primer catcher and how well it works, changing dies, changing the shell plate or resetting the powder measure setting is either easier or as easy as any other press on the market. I am so glad that I picked a Pro-2000 press over the others.
    I have looked at the RCBS 2000, but the big difference here is that it is a manual index. It is not in the same catagory as the Hornady LNL progressive, nor the Dillion 650. It is in the Dillion 550 catagory, and if memory serves me (which it usually doesn't), the RCBS has more die stations. To me, 5 die stations is a MINIMUM!
    “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son. I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

dillon sucks

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    I have a Dillon Square Deal and think it is a fine machine, and as others have said, you can't fault the service. I see in this thread that some don't like the adjustment of Dillon powder measures. What is the specific complaint? At first, I thought needing a wrench to adjust the measure was bizzare, but I have come to appreciate that the adjustment never loosens up on you.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Banned

Ive got a freind that has to lock and loads and boys hes told me many times hed swap me in an instant for any of my dillons. There really not bad presses in my opinion ive used his alot but there just not as user friendly as a dillon and NOBODY backs a product up with the customer service dillon gives!

I really don't understand the problem some people have with the LnL press. Perhaps it's the full progressive issue. Some people get uncomfortable when things get too automated. With a full progressive like the LnL or the Dillon 650, there is a lot going on that one has to keep track of. This presents a hefty learning curve, sort of like learning to drive in a car with a stick shift in big city traffic. This really scares the crap out of some people and makes the whole process unpleasant. The same thing happens when you begin using a full progressive press. However, once you master the process, you wonder why you ever had a problem in the first place.

Mechanically, there is nothing wrong or awkward about the LnL. It is exceedingly well made and engineered. The same can be said of the Dillon and the RCBS. Each machine has its strong points and its draw backs. In the end, after much comparison, I chose the LnL. I am convinced that I got more value for my money than I would have if I had gone with either of the other two. I sacrificed in the area of warranty. I have managed to break a couple of small parts on the LnL through misuse. Hornady required me to pay for these parts. Fair enough. Dillon would have given them to me for free which would have been ideal, maybe RCBS would have too. However, the LnL press was less expensive than the D650 in full battle gear and it is more flexible in use. Ease of change over from one caliber to another, the rapidity of powder charge adjustment, the ability to use any and all of my previously owned dies, the increased number of die stations all outweighed Dillon's advantages. I can't see any reason for me to do it differently. If I were offered the chance to change over to a Dillon 650 today with $100 thrown in to sweeten the deal, I wouldn't take it. I know my LnL. I like my LnL. All of the reasons I chose it in the first place; price, universal availability of accessories, adaptability and flexibility, speed, quality, are all as valid today as they were three years a go.

I can point out specific areas of superiority between the three maker's products. I have no emotional tie to any of these guys and very little brand loyalty. I use what works at the best price. You may value different things and thus you might choose Green or Blue over Red and that's OK. Just don't be a schmuck and choose one over the others because of here-say or excited anecdotal third-person reports. Write down what you value most in a press and then make your choice based on research and logic. That way you are most likely to be satisfied. That's my $.02 any way.

You know, when we were kids, arguing Chevy vs. Ford vs. Mopar even though none of us had a driver's license was forgivable because we were kids and were ignorant. Today, we are men and world-wise. Emotion should not figure into an intelligent purchase, only well-reasoned logic. The cost of these machines is equal to a good used rifle. Only a truely imprudent individual would buy one without doing the first-hand research.
    Last edited by omgb; 09-02-2006 at 01:43 PM.
    R J Talley

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Hornady L-N-L. Chose it over the Dillon because it was less complicated and looked much stronger. Have never had any problems after learning how to use it correctly. One thing with any of these presses is to take your time. Trying too hurry, which we shouldn't do when reloading anyway, leads to errors. I find there is a rhythm that works very well and produces lots of rounds.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I had the same trouble with my 550 when I had it. I had a Lee die that wouldn't quiet reach, so I changed that die over to a Hornady which seemed a bit longer.

As to the Dillon v Hornady, the disadvantage with the Dillon is that if you load multiple calibres, you need to fiddly foot around resetting the measure, etc. If you are cashed up, you buy lots of extra set up heads and measures. The Hornady is changed over by pressing a button and repplacing the insert and maybe the through die. I am beginning to lean towards a Hornady. I had both in the past. The Hornady was a Pro Jector and it was a nightmare, the newere onesseem to be a better deal all round. To do what I want to do with a Dillon looks like I'd have to mortage the house.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

I haven't forgotten you Mic...I just haven't had the time and the camera in the same place at the same time.

Reece
    R J Talley