Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Ruger 50th Anniversary .44 shoots well

Boolit Grand Master

Ruger 50th Anniversary .44 shoots well

In earlier tests the 9 gr load of Unique under the RCBS 429-250 (Keith SWC) appeared to have real promise at 1050 fps for a 5 shot string. That load (8 1/2 to 9 gr of Unique witha 240/250 SWC) has always proven to be a good performer and good "all around" load in .44 magnums. I had cast about 130 of them out of an alloy of 3 lbs range lead and 1 lb linotype a couple weeks ago and they have a BHN of 9.6. I sized them .429 and lubed them with Javelina and then loaded them on a Dillon Square Deal B.

The photo speaks for itself and that 1.6" twice around the cylinder (12 shots) group is about as good as it gets anymore with my tired old eyes and shakey hands. It was shot from a bench at 25 yards over sand bags. Velocity was 1066 fps with an SD of 15 and an ES of 62 fps.

In the earlier tests 22 gr of the old and new 2400 went 1337 fps and 1331 fps respectively with no excessive pressure signs. I can't seem to tell the difference betwee the old and new 2400s that everyone reports. I have tested them both in two .357s, two .32 H&Rs and now two .44 Magnums along with cast loads in a M1903A1. Equal charges in all have given equal velocities with no signs of excessive pressure. I will cast some of these 429-250s of a little harder alloy and work back up to 22 gr of the new 2400 (I'm now out of the old).

Anyways, so far it looks like I've got a good "all around" load that is easy to shoot and has excellent accuracy.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 05-15-2007 at 11:20 PM.

Looking good Larry!

Boolit Master

Yeah, cool. Thanx........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

9 grains of Unique is a great load for 210 gr SWC bullets in .41 Magnum as well. I've used it as my " fall back on" load since I was young and handsome......

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Come on, guys… a 15 yr old thread?

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    Come on, guys… a 15 yr old thread?
    Haha, didn't check the date.
    Oh well, that's what I'd have said 15 years ago anyway!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

"...come on, man...."

Just cause it's 15 years old doesn't mean the load and the Ruger still don't shoot as well....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Larry , I am surprised that only 3 lbs of range scrap and 1lb of lino only yielded 9.6 BHN. What did you measure it with. I guess the surprise part on my behalf is because I have had so much success with range scrap +1% tin at quite a bit higher velocities. Ir I am just lucky, I'll take it and be happy.

BTW, good threads are always a good read whether old or new. IMHO
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master
    so where's the picture?
    Kidding
    Your rite Larry its good then it should be good now
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Larry , I am surprised that only 3 lbs of range scrap and 1lb of lino only yielded 9.6 BHN. What did you measure it with. I guess the surprise part on my behalf is because I have had so much success with range scrap +1% tin at quite a bit higher velocities. Ir I am just lucky, I'll take it and be happy.

BTW, good threads are always a good read whether old or new. IMHO
    Those were BHN measured using the Lee tool in a micro-scope stand. I also questioned those after measuring them. They, the 150 bullets, were given to me to "test" in my Ruger and checking with the caster later found he had misspoke. He actually was using 9 lbs of scrap [gotten off an indoor range where a lot of 22LR and swaged bullets were used on] to 3 lbs of lead, a 3-1 mix. That then explains the low end BHN. He subsequently has been adding 2% tin which has upped the BHN of his alloy {I measured it for him] to 12 - 13. He said he is getting much better accuracy with magnum loads in his Super BH.......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    so where's the picture?
    Kidding
    Your rite Larry its good then it should be good now
    I think this is the picture(?);

Attachment 285833
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Glad it was brought back, I missed it somehow.
    When searching for new load info I always put Larrys at the top of the list, he has saved me lots of time and money during these shortages testing loads, always seem to get me in the ballpark.
    Thanks Larry much appreciated.

I bought a Ruger 3 screw 44 Mag in 1963. The 240 Keith bullet over 9/Unique was the load I settled on. Today, I tend toward 10/grains of Unique, but really that is more horses than I need.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Char-Gar, your right about needing more horse power . A 429421 cast out of 20-1 at 950-1050 fps will shoot through a LOT of bone and muscle completely. It took a bunch of birthdays to realize that I was only making deeper holes in the ground on the other side. Now if I had to get a bear off my case, I'd have to up the horses a bit!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!