MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Post of the month.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to all of you. I feel a little more normal. When I decided to start hunting regularly, I dug out the .50-70 trapdoor my father bought when I was about 10 years old. Since then I've spent considerable time and money casting and reloading to get it to shoot accurately, more time and money to improve the sights without ruining a 150 year old gun, considerable to shoot it just for fun. No success hunting anything with the gun yet, but I'm hopeful. At the very least I can assure anyone who will listen that I am frugal because I am casting and reloading. OK, so maybe I really don't care if I don't ever having any success hunting with it, but don't tell anyone. Maybe that's why I bought my 2nd reproduction cap and ball revolver. Yes, it's true I've spent more time investigating what type of projectile to cast than shooting that gun. Fortunately my wife hasn't exactly complained about all these expenses... or all that time preparing to go hunting. I'm already considering what other firearm I could not go hunting with. Hmmm...
    Matt (casting, reloading for my trapdoor. Always looking for what I can make myself instead of buying)

Boolit Bub

My wife thought that also, until all the packages keep coming in.

Boolit Man

Please give a clear explanation of how I'm saving money scrounging berm bullets and range brass to supplement my meager lead and brass pile to cast bullets and reload ammunition. Now after doing this since 1974, I have saved $587.43 in my "Gun Fund". The $0.43 is cumulative interest over those 49 years.

Besides these meager savings, I have managed to shoot the rifling out of a pair of .222 Remington barrels and 1 stainless steel .25-06 barrel with jacketed bullets. The 25-06 burned 34 # of Hodgdon H-414 with Hornady 75 grain HP bullets.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer1911 View Post
    Please give a clear explanation of how I'm saving money scrounging berm bullets and range brass to supplement my meager lead and brass pile to cast bullets and reload ammunition. Now after doing this since 1974, I have saved $587.43 in my "Gun Fund". The $0.43 is cumulative interest over those 49 years.

Besides these meager savings, I have managed to shoot the rifling out of a pair of .222 Remington barrels and 1 stainless steel .25-06 barrel with jacketed bullets. The 25-06 burned 34 # of Hodgdon H-414 with Hornady 75 grain HP bullets.
    You don't have time to hit the local watering holes!

Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    You don't have time to hit the local watering holes!
    Unless the watering holes are where you shoot!

Boolit Master

Engineer1911 you have money left ?

On the serious side I have a neighbor with a .222 he currently can find no ammo I have resized and reamed and trimmed some .223 so he can use the old gun to protect his farm animals and crops from pests . It would have been easier if he saved his brass....but not much it is a easy conversion.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

Do not remember saving any $ but I can load & shoot any caliber rifle or handgun I possess as much & as often as I please. I have guns that have never seen a factory round. When late wife passed away 20 years ago I had some extra disposable income and really loaded up with all the primers I thought I would ever need. That really worked out great and now I will never have to buy primers again. I'm shooting $ 20 per 5,000 primers. Can't beat that. Had another interesting experience relating to wheelweights since I cast everything I shoot. Had to go to the federal bldg. here in southern Ky. Had left my pocket knife in the car & on the way saw @ a 5" wheelweight at the curb as I crossed the street. Picked it up & slipped it in my jacket pocket. Before I went through the metal detector I put my keys, etc., in a tray on a table. The wheelweight set off the alarm & I took the wheelweight out of my jacket pocket & placed it in the tray. Got strange looks from the two officers. Was told to leave the wheelweight until I exited when they asked me what the wheelweight was for. I just said, "You never know when you'll need a wheelweight" & left it at that. Big Boomer

Boolit Master
    I have a rather large plate in my shoulder. About 10-15 years ago it set off the metal detector at Lambert Field in St. Louis. I was immediately surrounded by gorillas.
    Seems it was during some big terrorist scare or something.
    It was easier to explain than having a huge wheel weight in my pocket.
    Last edited by Charlie Horse; 12-27-2023 at 11:18 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345