Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Making do

Boolit Grand Master

Making do

I picked up a 38-40 revolver the other day and after slicking it up some I needed to test fire it and I had not one 38-40 in the shop. What to do???
    I had plenty of 44-40 brass and a 44-40 tong tool so I looked around the shop. I found that a 30-30 die would work as a neck size die and I ran 5 44-40's into the die down to the shoulder. They fit in the chamber just fine, so I flared the case mouth a tad with a 50 cal dummy round and used a 44-40 tong tool seater to squeeze some 40 S and W 175 grain T/C bullets into the case. They fit just fine and shot a 2 1/2" group at 20 yards off hand. The gun functioned fine and the fired cases popped right out.

"For so long we have done so much with so little that we are now capable of doing anything with nothing"

I did order some 38-40 dies though.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've been known to cobble together loads, myself. The 7.5 Swiss, and the .458 Win Mag come to mind, as I was impatient for dies to arrive. And, I know I have done others over the years. When there is a gun to be shot, we will find the way!

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    It may be insulting to a fine Krag, but 7.5 MAS dies load good .30/40s.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon