Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin model 1895

Boolit Master

Marlin model 1895

I just got a modern Marlin model 1895 in 45/70 and need suggestions on bullet wt and load data. Thanks. I am not new to casting but usually shoot bolt action or semi auto so this is a bit new. Any help is appreciated,
    jim

Moderator Emeritus

I lean towards 405 gr. boolits in the 14/1500 fps range, using 3031 or 4198. I have some heavier loads, but they're not somthing I'd want to shoot all day.

There's lots of data on the powder company's sites.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Master
    I like my RCBS 45-325-F bullet in my 95 Marlin. With the alloy I use they cast at 338 gr and shoot accurately in my rifle. I usually load it with 29 gr of AA 5744. This is not a hot load but I have killed pigs and a deer with it and the bullet punched a nice big hole clean through them.

Boolit Master
    Gould 330 gr with 50 grs of 3031 is a good hunting load for our smallish whitetail here in Ark. Also 50 grs of 3031 with Lyman 457193 is a good load. Kix a little though.
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gon2shoot View Post
    I lean towards 405 gr. boolits in the 14/1500 fps range, using 3031 or 4198. I have some heavier loads, but they're not somthing I'd want to shoot all day.

There's lots of data on the powder company's sites.
    What he said with the 405 grain bullets and velocity range only I use 24 grains of 2400
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

My 1895g likes a 430gr paper patched bullet over 52gr of AA2495. CCI LR primer.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Mine shoots very well with the Lee 405 gr pb boolit. It's even more pleasant to shoot when that boolit is backed up by AA5744 powder. For reasons I've never been able to figure out, that powder produces noticeably less recoil than others when loaded to comparable loading-data velocities.

Boolit Master
    There are several good bullets for the 45-70 IMHO !

The first what I call a really good bullet that I've used is the Lyman?Gould 330 grain HP PB bullet . I've loaded that one with both SR4759 and XMP5744 .

The original Ranch Dog bullets in 460-350GC and 460-425GC are also good performers . I first used these with XMP5744 and then later changed to H322 with both .

I have now gotten intrested in another mold made by BRP 462-465GC . I've shot a few of these bullets that came from BRP and have the mold on order . I shot this one with H322 also and in my testing it shows alot of promise !

Last but not least I ordered a Ballisti Cast 462-550GC mold that hasn't arrived yet . I can't honestly say how this one will do , but the gentleman who recommended it to me spoke highly of it .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Buddy
    550 grains - what, pray tell, will you be using this on? 500 yard range shots?

I like the 405 and have some of Lymans 350 gr bullets lubed and waiting. If you can predict the rainbow, shooting past 100 yards is no problem at lower velocities. I went for the lighter bullet in order to flatten trajectory. Not much difference under 100 yards.

Zim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    550 grains - what, pray tell, will you be using this on? 500 yard range shots?

Anything I choose

Actually I'll probably kill a couple deer or black bears with it and then loose intrest

I've used rcbs 300gc,405gc,saeco350gc,brp465gc and 330gc hammer,mtn mold 400pb.They're all good,the heavies kick more and the saeco is very accurate.I like brps 465gc a lot.I got a 420gc on order so I can put more powder in and push it to around 2000 fps.His molds are as good or better than other molds I've used.The rcbs 405gc is accurate but since it's a one cav it takes a while to get a pile of boolits,BRPs 3 cav will make more faster and I like the look of the LBT style 420gc with the .325 metplat.It should work great in my XLR.

Boolit Master
    Thank You to everyone who took the time to reply. The weapon was my best friends and he died so I bought part of his collection at prices he set. he knew it was coming. It will probably be a paper puncher or plinker but I want an accurate one. I now have several ideas thanks to all of you.
    jim

Boolit Master

15 gr. Unique with the 350 gr Ranch dog boolit gives me 1300 fps and is a pleasure to shoot.

It also is accurate in my gun.

Now, if you want some velocity, you could start at 45 gr H322 and work up. I went to 50 gr but that was not published max. I would use it as max because it kicks like a mule.

46 gr gave me 1750 fps.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45r View Post
    The rcbs 405gc is accurate but since it's a one cav it takes a while to get a pile of boolits,BRPs 3 cav will make more faster .
    I looked at it the same way as you up until recently !

In the past I wanted to get 100-200 bullets from a mold PDQ !

Now I try and get maybe 40-50 per mold when I cast . While I have a nice selection of 4 , 5 and 6 cavity molds I am slowly going back to single and double cavity molds .

For my load work ups and such this is working well for me !

Now if I had one or two weight bullets for a specific bunch of rifles I totally agree

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot a 420 gr. cast with 50.0 grs of H-4895.Not a mx load but it is very accurate.

Boolit Grand Master
    Before plunking down any folding money for a mould, I would DEFINITELY make a chamber cast or slug the throat and grooves of that fine rifle you've acquired. (I've owned 2, and only the acquisition of a Ruger #1 prompted the sale of the second example. I miss it!)

No 45-70 I've ever fooled with has EVER had throat of grooves at the supposed .457" specs. Throats in the 2 Marlins were .461" and .460", the current #1 is .459" with grooves very close to that. I would have a mould made to at least meet (if not exceed by a couple thousandths) my rifle's throat dimensions. About the best you are likely to get from Lyman or RCBS is .458".

I favor the 400 grain-class boolits in the 45-70. Most of them I run right at 1873 ballistics, about 1300 FPS with either duplexed 4198/WC-860 or 28.0 Grains of IMR-4198. A plain-based boolit does just fine at that velocity, though I think that approaches the upper limit of pressure suitability for castings.

Some day, I'll grab another Marlin 1895. These can be good for about 1800 FPS with the 400 grain castings, though recoil on one end about matches the other end's punishment standard. For that a flatnosed and gas-checked 400 grain design will be ordered, with tangent ogive and about 65%-70% meplat. I want that ogive to just kiss the abrupt rifling origin in the short throats featured in rifles of this caliber.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I looked at it the same way as you up until recently !

In the past I wanted to get 100-200 bullets from a mold PDQ !

Now I try and get maybe 40-50 per mold when I cast . While I have a nice selection of 4 , 5 and 6 cavity molds I am slowly going back to single and double cavity molds .

For my load work ups and such this is working well for me !

Now if I had one or two weight bullets for a specific bunch of rifles I totally agree
    I can make a fair amount of boolits with a 1 or 2 cav saeco or rcbs mold with a fan and a wet towel using bruce B's speed casting methods to keep the mold at the right temp but after getting use to BRP's 4 cav 30-30 mold turning them out real fast with just a little fan I'm spoiled.

Quote Originally Posted by thx997303 View Post
    15 gr. Unique with the 350 gr Ranch dog boolit gives me 1300 fps and is a pleasure to shoot.

It also is accurate in my gun.

Now, if you want some velocity, you could start at 45 gr H322 and work up. I went to 50 gr but that was not published max. I would use it as max because it kicks like a mule.

46 gr gave me 1750 fps.
    What do you mean kicks like a Mule lol.

I would like to throw in that the 45-70 can be loaded for anything you need it to do.

As for BOOLITS size them .460 and the weight of 330Gr or better. But I tend to like the 350Gr class as I get less drop. If you are not as worried about distance then the 405Gr will serve you well.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    The original Ranch Dog bullets in 460-350GC and 460-425GC are also good performers . I first used these with XMP5744 and then later changed to H322 with both .

I have now gotten intrested in another mold made by BRP 462-465GC . I've shot a few of these bullets that came from BRP and have the mold on order . I shot this one with H322 also and in my testing it shows alot of promise !
    I thought I felt the world tremble lol. Glad to hear you like the H-322 .
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master
    Ditto on the chamber and throat fit. I get the best results with the Lee 405 grain hollow base. It is listed as .459 but mine throws them out at .462. That is the diameter I shoot them at. I tried the Gould bullet also. In my rifle the Lee did better. Unless you just like the noise and recoil keep the velocity at around 1400 to 1500 fps range. Where ever your rifle likes it. You cannot make these rifles into a flat shooter.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.