Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington 11-48 help needed

Boolit Master

There is also a guy that works on nothing but the early Remington Shotguns. Google 58Sportsman and you should come up with something. If not PM me and I can get the contact info. His bread and butter was the Remington 11,11-48 and 11-58.

From Wisner's: http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional...ngton_1148.htm

It is critical that the magazine tube be lightly sanded lengthwise with light emery cloth & a light coating of oil of about 30 weight motor oil on this tube for the gun to function properly

Also any recoil operated firearm can be very sensitive to how the person firing it holds the gun. The word is that you have to "Back it Up". This means that you need to hold it tight against your shoulder.

The 11-48 operating handle is held in by a detent plunger putting pressure on the bottom of this handle. The current model 1100 handle #91197 is designed to accommodate both the 11-48 bottom plunger & the 1100 plunger which comes in from the rear. Therefore you can use the 1100 handle on the 11-48 series guns.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    Pietro-
    Thanks for that link.
    I've spent a couple hours reading on that web site and really appreciate info.

I've had a couple of 11-48's and although I love the things dearly and found them very reliable, I did eventually move on to an 1100.

1) You are pretty much stuck with the buttstock and forend that are on the gun. They are not common to the 870 or 1100, are pretty much specific to the model. And many of them, including the last one I had, are cracked and buggered up. Finding a better stock and forend is not easy and is $pendy.

2) The threads on the mag tube are longer than on an 870. This really buggers you up for putting an extension on, as they will not thread down all the way, despite the thread being the same pitch. The 11-48 design does require the mag cap to be screwed on tight and all the way down. The only real answer I thought of was cutting the threads down a 1/4" or so, like with a chop saw, but couldn't bring myself to do it. (pictured buggering up that acme style thread and who has a die in that size?)

They are a very reliable gun, don't get me wrong.

The stock issue and the mag extension issue are annoying if you want to make the gun a bit more tactical.

But, as much as I like them, I love my 1100 Magnum more. The thing shoots so soft compared to the full recoil of the 11-48, you can cycle it faster. Plus which, you can buy various stocks, forends, big head safeties, Sidesaddles, extensions, EZloaders etc etc and they mostly drop right on!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50 REMINGTON 1100 MAGNUM.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	156712

Boolit Master
    Contact 58 sportsman, you can find him on gun broker.com, or ebay . He helped me rebuild a Remington 58 a couple years ago.his knowledge on the older remington shotguns is as if he built it himself. As stated above in a post . It probably just needs GOOD cleaning and oiling up.WV109323 you are right I was able to find all the parts to rebuild a old 58 with his help.

Boolit Mold
    hello 218bee I have 11-48 I found to things to keep it cycling
    1 remove recoil spring clean tube and spring,lightly sand tube with steel wool or fine emery,clean again oil with a heaver oil I use 30 weight ,try again shooting should be fine if not I only shoot high brass out of this gun.hope this helps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12