Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: More errors with single stage press???

Boolit Bub

More errors with single stage press???

Just heard a fellow at the local sportsman's warehouse claiming that there is more room for errors with a single stage press than progressive.
    This is clearly a first for me.
    Does anybody have any data supporting this???
    Buckbeans

Boolit Master

My Thoughts

Yes, there is the potential for human errors with a single stage press.
    But there is a greater likelihood for both mechanical and human error with a progressive press.
    With a single stage press you have basically only one moving part; the ram.
    With a progressive press you have cams, linkage, levers and Lord knows what else that can break, go out of adjustment or run out of components. You need not be a very smart idiot to screw up with a progressive loading press.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Hickory is really correct on his post.

I don't ever remember charging and loading a cartridge, without a primer, until I started using a progressive.

There IS!!!! a learning curve with the progressive and anyone saying there is more chance for foul ups with a single stage is really, REALLY!!!!!! short on breathable air.

Is there a place for a progresive? Yep, but there is also a need to keep your mind on your business.

on a single stage, the very term should give any thinking person the answer.

Single, meaning one (1), therefor there is only one - 2 if you count sizing and decaping - operation going on during the stroke of the ram, as apposed to the 5 or more with every stroke of the ram on the progressive.

Do I plan on trashing my progressive? Not likely, but it is what it is, a tool with many more moving parts and functions with each movement of the handle.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    i agree with tthe potemtial in a single stage press, for more errors.
    its simple you load fifty rounds on a single.....you handle the case
    look as the list
    touch ..into press, size, deprime reprime, touch....50 times
    touch bell the case touch....fifty times
    touch drop powder touch( or one big touch if using a loading block.....fifty up and downs on the powder measure.
    touch seat bullet/boolit touch
    touch crimp touch..........
    go count the "touches" every one is a POTENTIAL for error....and a potential to DISCOVER the error.
    10 touches x 50 cases= 500 potentials for error

progressive
    touch case in

never touch again.....
    four pulls of the handle, touch the bullet for seating( same as single).......
    much fewer chances for errors.....if the operator pays attention to the basics.

50 touches.......1/10th the error potential.....

none of which matters if the operator is as dumb as a rock, has a beer in one hand and the tv on.......

( i dont buy the linkage/levers bs...cause if it breaks you know it...you stop...you dont continue loading...but it is the same on your single stage press..if the linkage breaks, you know, you stop..ask any lee press owner)

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master

OK, I'll fess-up. I don't own and have never used a progressive press.
    Two of my friends have had progressive presses and have had nothing but trouble with them.

So, I've shied away from them over the years and and use only a single stage press. If you really knew me and how I live you would find it hard to believe that I even own a computer or that I am hooked-up to the internet, so, I guess I'm not a smart enough idiot to own or use a progressive reloading press.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

Overall I say no but I think I know what the guy meant or was coming from. I have never done a progressive but I have a turret press. Some guys that use progressives only load for a couple or even single caliber so once it's set up, they don't have to further adjust it if it is set they way they want. At least that would be my guess.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Bub
    I can see mikeinco's point of view.
    The more your handle the more chances for error.
    The guy does have a point of view shared by otherrs.
    Buckbeans

I have and use single-stage, turret, and progressive presses. The vast majority of my time is spent on my progressive presses. Yep, there's a learning curve. That's why I always recommend to new handloaders that they start out with the cheapie $30 Lee Reloader Single-Stage Press. Then, after you learn what you're doing (that means 1,000 rounds single-stage, far as I'm concerned), and only then, consider going turret or progressive.

Yes, I'm a big, big believer in getting the fundamentals down so pat that they become automatic. For example, I'm teaching my g/f to drive a stick. It's not on a Formula 1 race car or even my turbodiesel 3/4 ton truck. It's on a Honda Civic. She can deal with the truck later. Get the fundamentals of driving a stick-shift down first. The same concept applies to reloading ammunition.

If you pay attention to your reloading (and you ARE doing that anyway, RIGHT?), a progressive or turret is just as safe as a single-stage.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post
    I have and use single-stage, turret, and progressive presses. The vast majority of my time is spent on my progressive presses. Yep, there's a learning curve. That's why I always recommend to new handloaders that they start out with the cheapie $30 Lee Reloader Single-Stage Press. Then, after you learn what you're doing (that means 1,000 rounds single-stage, far as I'm concerned), and only then, consider going turret or progressive.

Yes, I'm a big, big believer in getting the fundamentals down so pat that they become automatic. For example, I'm teaching my g/f to drive a stick. It's not on a Formula 1 race car or even my turbodiesel 3/4 ton truck. It's on a Honda Civic. She can deal with the truck later. Get the fundamentals of driving a stick-shift down first. The same concept applies to reloading ammunition.

If you pay attention to your reloading (and you ARE doing that anyway, RIGHT?), a progressive or turret is just as safe as a single-stage.
    i do not disagree with learnign fundimentals...but

when most of the older folks were growing up and learning...99% of the time the only thing out there was a single stage press.....
    it aint yesterday, so quit looking back
    buy a dillon 550 b to start with....wait back up.
    buy to reloading book and read them, then read them again.
    if still interested, buy a dillon 550b.
    you can use each of the four stations as four single stage presses.
    and learn the basics....
    once you see whats going on....use all four stations at once...ie progressive.
    i never used a single stage press till just a couple years back when i went to 6ppc.
    all my presses uptil then were progressives......as a child..i learned from a guy with a progressive..this was in the 1950/60's.

this is not rocket science...most guys are just copying a formula in a book......

i'll stand by my statement....do not buy a single satge press if you are going to do volume shooting, buy a progressive to start with.
    if you are a hunter/low volume shooter, yes a single will work,

mike in co

Boolit Master
    Different point of view. Every time I handle a case with my Rockchucker I get to examine what I just did and make sure I did it right. After near 40 years with the Rockchucker I have gotten fairly fast reloading pistol cartridges. Will admit that I am faster loading pistol rounds with the Dillion 550B. It is not as fast as Dillion claims and I have a problem feeding small primers. Problem is not insurmountable and can be corrected with close attention to details. I may disagree with mike in co but based on his posts I am sure that he and I agree that a reloader MUST pay attention to what you are doing at all times and make sure that you press is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. Safe reloading requires attention to details.

Boolit Master
    ..."a reloader MUST pay attention to what you are doing at all times and make sure that you press is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. Safe reloading requires attention to details."

Exactly. The different types of presses all have their inherent advantages and disadvantages. As long was we are aware of what they are and remain alert to what is happening, there won't be any accidents. Unfortunately, reloading -- casting, too -- is repetitious and we can easily be distracted from the task at hand.

In Remembrance

I have both styles of presses. My single stage is a RCBS Rock Chucker of many years age. My progressive is a Hornady Pro - 7 bought in their 1st year of existence and later upgraded to a pro-jector series. I do not use the prime station on the Hornady as I got tired of the occasional upside down primer or the sideways crushed primer. Not to mention the manner of the primer tube on the press. I also tried the loaded round ejector for about 2 load sessions, I gleefuly ripped it off the shell plate ram and haven`t put it back on these many years later. I run my cases thru the first 2 stations, then prime off the press then finish back on the press charging and final bullet seating stations. I like the Hornady press which is why I haven`t chucked it and gotten something else. I won`t buy into the LNL system hoorah and I have mixed feelings about Dillon from experience. My RC press gets enough work doing my rifle calibers and mucho grande sized pistol calibers.Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    I have mixed feelings about Dillon from experience. Robert
    there are tons of people out there that don't have mixed feelings about dillons.

things like a case ejector thet works.

a primer system that works....

a great powder system

and take apart dies that are awsome for cast boolit shooters.....

so what are your mixed feelings...what experience ??

inquiring minds want to know....

mike in co

Boolit Mold

Started with a Dillon

Can't add a lot to this conversation because 20 years ago at the age of 50 I bought a Dillon Square Deal B.

Had to go through a learning curve with it but the auto Indexing made it easier for me.

Now, 20 years later I have a Dillon 650 and would have nothing else. Once again the auto indexing is a must for me. I tried the Dillon 550B but sent it back because of the lack of auto indexing.

It probably is just me and my age, (70 now) but the auto indexing keeps me centered and less likely to get lost in the procedure, which is what happened to me with the 550B. The less I have to remember and think about, once I get the press set up it is smooth and a pleasure for me. I do however, check my powder drop every 100 rounds or less just to be sure, even thought I am eyeballing it each pull.

You do have to pay 100% attention I have found to everything that is happening. I can't get distracted, however, with the 650 I can get distracted and all I have to do is stop, look, and think, then move on.

It is also very fast if you want. But that is not important to me now because I no longer shoot competition and don't have to load and shoot 1200 rounds a week

Just my experience.

Boolit Bub
    There is always a learning curve when loading.With a single stage press if you pay attention mistakes are few,if any, but with a progressive press if you don't pay close attention big
    mistakes can be made. I just finished takeing apart over a 1000 rounds of 40 S&W rounds from a person I know who has been reloading more years then my 32 years and he was using a 550. Some didn't have powder some were lite on powder.Still use single stage fore my rifles and the progressive for my hand guns and 223.

Boolit Master
    Progressives are pretty much automated to crank out tons of the same stuff in an almost mindless way. Those who are almost mindless would do well to stick with what works with that mindset. ??

Boolit Mold

Mindless loaders

I was just cruising through the Loading bench pics and was noticing all the "mindless" loaders with their Dillon presses.

Some of these guys must be incredibly mindless because they have three Dillon's on their bench..

Boolit Master
    I have three progessives, two Lee pro 1000's and a Dillon 650. Have had the Lee's for 20+ years and the Dillon for 12. I also have singles and turrets. By far most of my errors have been made on the progressives. I now do 90% of my reloading on a Lyman T-mag and a Lyman AA. Yersterday I made a shell holder adapter for the AA and will be retiring the T-mag soon.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    mike in co, could you answer me a question?

Since BR shooting requires very accurate, consistent ammo, do you load said ammo on your progressive press to eliminate the chance of multiple handling errors?

inquiring minds want to know....

The press that requires the most attention in my opinion is the manual indexing progressive. All it takes is one brain fart and you have pulled the handle twice without advancing the shell plate and have a double charge.

An automatically indexing progressive press takes time to set up, each die has to be placed and adjusted. But once you get it set they are pretty idiot proof. I have not had any problems in my 25,000 rounds loaded.

You shouldn't avoid progressives if you shoot a lot, thousands of people assemble tons of high quality ammo using progressive presses. If you need to load any more than 500 rounds a month they are the only way to fly in my opinion.

Loading enough pistol ammo for myself on a single stage press is taking away time I could be shooting or dryfiring.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast