MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: avoiding the first tumble lube

Boolit Bub
    So the double application only applies to the non TL boolits that require sizing?
    Buckbeans

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by buckbeans View Post
    So the double application only applies to the non TL boolits that require sizing?
    Actually, just the opposite.

All of my TL boolits get tumble-lubed, naturally, and I (tumble) lube them twice. Once before I size them, and then after I size them.

The initial run through the push-through sizer will ultimately take off a bit of lead here and there with some boolits. Not all, but some. As I strive for consistency, I size all boolits. This way, I know they are all round and of the same diameter.

It's a significant factor to rule out when you're looking to refine loads or trying to figure out a problem.

After sizing, I (tumble) lube again. This applies an additional coat all over the boolit, including the areas of "fresh" or "raw" lead left exposed from the previous sizing. In addition, I get more lube in the microbands as "lube sticks to lube" in this process.

For the record, for those few traditional lube-groove boolits I tumble-lube, I do the same exact process.

However, when I'm using a lubesizer, I only size and lube once. Completely different process from tumble-lubing.

Banned

Neither LLA nor 45/45/10 will affect powder or performance in any way by being on the bases. IF you are putting it on correctly, the slight film on the noses does nothing but help keep leading down as the boolit engraves and keep the nose from oxidizing in storage.

Sooooo, just lube, size, lube, load, and shoot! It takes about three minutes to lube 500 and pour them out on an old trash bag in the sun, so skipping the first step is really not gaining much IMO unless you're still trying to use straight LLA.

Gear

Hi, I'm fairly new to tumble lubing so I may not get this right. I really like TL as I shoot a bunch (over 1,000 rounds) each month and pan lubing was getting old. It just took too much time.

Sounds to me like some folks thought or came to the conclusion that the primary purspose of the first tumble lube was for sizing.

If I understand correctly, 2 light coats of tumble lube give the best results. Even if someone chooses not to size, it's still 2 light coats to properly lube the bullets. Some folks size everything so it's always lube-size-lube-load. If you didn't size it would be lube-lube-load.

If someone wanted to use something like the silicone spray to lube for sizing, it would be spray-size-lube-lube-load. Not really saving or improving anything from what I can tell.

In Remembrance
    I want lube adhesion to the boolit--which is why I wouldn't spray my boolits with silicone or case lube prior to sizing them, then lubing.

Now, that's just me.

As much scientific fact as there is in boolit casting and all involved with it, there are equal amounts of superstition.

And I have as much superstition-based traditions as the next guy.

Again, I always size every boolit so that I am assured each boolit is the same size, same roundness, etc. That's just me.

If I didn't size every boolit, I would still (tumble) lube twice. Two light coats. Dries quick. Not tacky, Does the job superlatively.

Recluse: Agreed, I don't spray with silicone either. I was just trying to make it clear that it didn't replace a LLA lube step.

I did try some 148 wadcutters with 1 lube step, they were very accurate with no leading. I tried that with some faster 158 loads and got leading; so I'm sticking to the 2 light coats of lube. Seems to work well. Will use 1 coat just in the 148's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12