Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: avoiding the first tumble lube

Boolit Bub

avoiding the first tumble lube

Hello Folks
    I want to avoid the first tumble lubing step when using the lee sizing system by using a case lubricant(dillon) before sizing. Do you have to do anything special to wash off the lubricant before going on to the final tumble lube after sizing?
    Buckbeans

Until I read the directions I sized thousands with no lube at all!
    Remember the average response time of a 911 call is over 4 minutes. The average response time of a .357 is around 1300 F.P.S.

Boolit Master
    Use soap and rinse boolits
    with water.

Banned
    As long as you are not sizing the bejeegers out of a boolit and the boolit is not rock hard you can do em dry. Have done many many thoudands dry.

If you are moving alot of material and go the dishsoap route just remember that some soaps will want to rust your steel parts as they remove grease and oil from everything.

A touch of lanolin goes a real long ways..........that is the route I prefer when getting mean with a sizing die. You would likely need to wipe this off before a LLA application though.

In Remembrance
    Not sure I'm getting the entire picture here. . .

You want to lube the boolits (with a different lube) in order to run them through the push-through sizer, then get rid of that lube, and then tumble-lube the freshly sized boolits with LLA (or whatever you tumble lube with)?

Not being smart or anything, but just wondering. . . why?

Boolit Bub
    I started out tumble lubing and like the result. However as hard as I tried to ignore it, I hated seeing the lube on the nose and base. . So after sizing and lubing, I found myself wiping off the the lube off the top and wiping the base on a towel before seating the boolit. I found all the time I gained with tumble lubing was lost when I spent the extra time to clean each bullet.
    So after doing this for a while I came up with another method

I don't actually tumble lube. I use a jig to lube the bearing surface and grooves without touching the nose or base of the boolit.
    It is not as fast as tumble lubing. But it is much faster than tumble lubing and cleaning the nose and base after the lube dries.
    Anyway I guess you do have to remove soap or lubricant before lubing
    Buckbeans

Boolit Buddy
    ...so lets see the jig.

Boolit Bub
    Pm sent to CIDarona
    Buckbeans

Boolit Master

buck - Not trying to be a smart alec, but, I thought I had issues!!! Honestly, buck. Try getting over the TL all over everything. I don't like it either, used to wipe the noses off. Now, I just roll past all that. The guns shoot exactly the same..... As long as were happy. enjoy Mike

Boolit Bub
    I live in arizona and it is 108 degrees outside and my car is probably 130 degrees right now and that stain is real easy to rub on the carseat

My method is still in its primary stages and needs a lot of refinement but just did 50 38special wadcutters and took only 80 seconds or so.
    Buckbeans

In Remembrance
    Understand.

But it sounds like what you're doing now is more akin to pain-lubing than tumble-lubing, in which case you can size after the lube has dried/adhered to the boolit(s).

Would save yourself a step, plus a lot of hassle.

Boolit Bub
    thanks to all for your suggestions.
    Buckbeans

Banned

C'mon, Recluse, tell him about YOUR method!

Gear

Boolit Bub
    thanks gear
    but it is because of recluse's 45/45/10 that my simple method is possible. I could not do it without the combination. By the way, what was the final decision on naming that fine combination?
    Buckbeans

Boolit Master
    Why not use one of the pump spray case lubes that are just lanolin dissolved in alcohol? They are easy to apply and the lanolin might not interfere with adherence of the LLA? It might be worth an experimental try.

Boolit Bub
    Elkins . The case prep lube spray from Dillon is what I was thinking about.
    Buckbeans

Boolit Buddy
    I'm new to casting, but if I understand Recluse's steps and methodology, the first lubing gets base of the bullet, even if a good portion of the lube is scraped off during sizing. If you did a single step lubing process using dish soap, case lube, etc, you wouldn't have any lube applied to the bases. Granted, pan lubed or lubrisized bullets don't have much if any lube on the base, but it does seem like having a layer of 45/45/10 on the bottom could help prevent gas cutting at the base?

I've been thinking this method over quite a bit as a dollar store bottle of dishsoap would go a long way and be even cheaper than 45/45/10 (not that it's really that expensive...)

Boolit Master
    I recently discovered I could lightly hose down my freshly minted boolits with silicone spray bought at the auto parts store. Dries fast, zips through my sizing die quick and I don't have to wait hours for the first layer of LLA to dry like before.

Boolit Bub
    chris
    did you have any problems with drying the LLA after using the silicone spray?
    It looks like there are a few people besides who also want to avoid the first pre sizing coat
    Buckbeans

In Remembrance
    For me, the first (tumble-lubing) is not a pre-sizing coat, but rather exactly what it is:

A first coat that gets in the microbands.

After I've run the boolits through the push-through sizer, they then get the second (tumble) lubing, which completes the process.

Now I have more lube in the microbands, and all exposed bearing surface is also lubed.

The addition of the JPW and its ingredients has the boolits drying within an hour or two easily, faster if you lube the boolits after slightly warming them up, warming the lube up, then placing them under a fan or outside in the sunlight.

I've yet to have any contamination of powder due to lube on the base. The (significantly) reduced LLA content eliminates tackiness, and the overall "color" or "tone" of the boolit is only slightly dulled from what it was when it first fell out of the mold during casting.