Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: subcaliber swaging?

Boolit Buddy

subcaliber swaging?

any one done any of this, i'm very interested in Mr. E's stuff and am thinking more and more about 14 caliber bullets. 8 guage wire is 0.1285 I was wondering do you think it would be possible to mash that .128 into .144 while forming a tip? my first swageing press is in the mail and while i'm not considering exerting that kind of force onto a swage-o-matic i am thinking that maybe i could do it with my lyman orange crusher. what do you guys think? cut cores to desired weight, anneal (maybe anneal then cut?), drop in die mash like h*ll pop out a 10 or 13.5 grain SP bullet? I've contacted one of the guys who makes swageing dies on the board i would much rather give my money to someone who is on here then just a faceless company, but i ask you guys as a subforum thanks it's possible? I"m sure it is, maybe i just need more then one die (probably).

Can't wait to hear your feedback.
    Last edited by .357; 07-05-2010 at 01:17 AM. Reason: i can't spell but hey i try right?
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

Boolit Master
    Dave Corbin talks about doing exactly what you are asking. In the old days they used copper wire for .14 and .12 caliber bullets. He talks about it in one of his technical bulletins. The hard part would be cutting the wire to consistant lenths meaning weight, especially when you are working with a bullet so small.

I think they were using their first press which was called the Mity Mite, basically a copy of Ted Smith's SAS press. Almost the same as Larry Blackmon's press that he still offers today at a reasonable price. I'm sure it has much more leverage than a reloading press but not as much as the new larger swaging presses we see today.

Boolit Buddy
    very very true, i wonder if i had a stronger press like a swaging press i could bleed the excess copper off the sides. hummmm sounds like a call to corbin is in order.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.