Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Laser Cast Alloy?

Boolit Buddy

Question Laser Cast Alloy?

Anyone know what's in Laser Cast Bullets?

I've got an Cimarron 1866 in .44 Special and bought 500 Laser Cast 200gn bullets; these things are harder than the devil's d*** and are undersized for my bore to boot.

I'm on the list for one of Miha's 200gn .44 moulds, and since I keep pressure in the Yellow boy down to SAAMI levels I don't have much use for the 400 or so LC's that are left.

Thought I might clean the lube off and use them to alloy other mixes, if I can guesstimate what's in them.

Or, I could just shoot 'em up in my Ruger .44 Special at a bit higher-than-SAAMI levels.

Any Thoughts?

Jim

Boolit Master

No clue as to the aloy

But I had the same experaince with some of their bullets that were given to me , .355 for a 9mm when I found out my 9mm likes .358 boolits

So I used them to harden up some range lead

Just add them slowly to your pot , lube and all
    The lube will act as a flux

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

If I remember right I think there's silver in there alloy. I really wonder if there alloy is something closer to one of the lead free solders.

Silver is used to bring up the melting temperature in the lead free solders, I wonder if that is the reason why they have silver in there mix.

Boolit Master

Wondering if it could have a small amount of zinc. There are posters on this site that say up to 1% will alloy.
    The lazer cast people are so very secretive about their alloy, there could be a small amount of silver in them, but that silver bit kind of stinks like red herring.
    WARNING!
    FOR BEST RESULTS DO NOT COUNT ON LAZER CAST TO STOP WEREWOLVES AND VAMPIRES.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    Laser Cast boolits is an off-shoot of an Oregon mining operation. Silver trailings are used to alloy the lead. If memory serves, their boolits are in the 27 BHN area.

27? So that's good for what? Up to 4000 fps?

Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    Laser Cast boolits is an off-shoot of an Oregon mining operation. Silver trailings are used to alloy the lead. If memory serves, their boolits are in the 27 BHN area.
    Exactly, not pure silver. You couldn't afford their bullets if that were the case!

Boolit Buddy

Well, I've got 25lbs of sheet lead and about 11.5 lbs of Laser-Cast.

That's about 2:1 - guess I'll melt them up and see what I get. If they're still too hard I can always add some reclaimed shot as needed.

Thanks,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 101VooDoo View Post
    Well, I've got 25lbs of sheet lead and about 11.5 lbs of Laser-Cast.

That's about 2:1 - guess I'll melt them up and see what I get. If they're still too hard I can always add some reclaimed shot as needed.

Thanks,

Jim

Please post the results when you get around to it. I have about 20 lbs worth a friend gave me because he couldn't get them to shoot like he wanted and I've been thinking I'd treat them like lino (when I get around to it...it isn't very high on the list right now)and see what happens. Of course, I have no idea what the outcome will be so your info would be very helpfull. Thanks.

Boolit Buddy

Will do - it'll have to wait until I get a hardness tester. Ought to be soon, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Jim

Boolit Master
    There was a guy trading " round tuits " for lube grooves in the classics group.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

In Remembrance

I read that the lead is from the silver mine and the silver is naturally mixed with it and the small amount in it is not economical to remove. Don't remember where I gleaned that bit.

In Remembrance

The hard bullets advocated by the writers like Elmer Keith and other such promoters of our addiction were much softer than the hard bullets of today. Air cooled 20/1 was "hard" to them.

I've heard the pros like the real hard casts because it eliminates a lot of shipping damage.

Boolit Master
    Someone here on the forum said that he has tested Laser Cast boolits and has never found them to be more than 16-17 (IIRC) for hardness. I don't have a hardness tester, but them OTLC boolits seem harder than woodpecker lips, to me!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I had some 30 cal 165 fp's that measured about 17 on the LBT bullet tester I have.. They shot real nice.. until I ran out of them.. I need to get my master caster going since I have a 165 mold for it.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    There was a guy trading " round tuits " for lube grooves in the classics group.
    Picked up one of them round tuits - tester ought to be here next week - I'll check a couple different Laser-Cast's and see what they spec out to.

Jim