Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Alloying Copper into Lead-Tin

Quote Originally Posted by deerslayer View Post
    Sagacious, any plumbing copper you can buy will have a small percentage of phosphorous in it (this is added to all plumbing, hvac cu to allow high temperature brazing around 1200 deg F without the use of a flux).

That being said a couple questions:

What effect if any would this have on the alloy made with the CU?

Second would the phosphorous allow the lead to alloy without being tinned?
    Deerslayer,
    Good questions. My understanding is that US-made copper plumbing pipe contains about 0.02% phosphorous, which is probably not enough to cause a discernable change in the rate of dissolution of the copper into the molten lead, or in the properties of the resulting lead alloy. As you know, phophorus deoxidizes copper at melting temps, but since dissolution does not entail melting of the copper, the phosporus may not convey any significant advantage during dissolution. I think that tinning is likely to be the quickest route to dissolution. Any old tin/lead solder, and some rosin, will 'tin' the copper.

In greater amounts, I suspect that phosporus may possibly increase the solubility of copper in lead. Cu/P brazing alloy, with several percent P might offer some interesting opportunities for Pb/Cu alloy experimentation. Also, see post #28 in this thread for a little more commentary on phosphorus in Pb/Cu alloys.

Regards, and good shooting.

Interesting, I have some Bcup brazing alloy (silver solder). I may have to do a little experimenting and tin the brazing rod to see what happens. I also have plenty of copper around being a plumber so this could make a good evening of tinkering if nothing else.
    Remember the average response time of a 911 call is over 4 minutes. The average response time of a .357 is around 1300 F.P.S.

[/QUOTE]
    Where is all of this work at, that will keep you on OT until after Christmas? Tell them to spread it around![/QUOTE]

I work building pickle tanks (for the steel industry) out of polypropylene sheet. We have about 25 people working in the shop and office. Come to SW PA and apply. If you can read a print, use a tape, and put up with alot of BS you might just make it.

Boolit Master

Wink So that is where......

Where is all of this work at, that will keep you on OT until after Christmas? Tell them to spread it around![/QUOTE]

I work building pickle tanks (for the steel industry) out of polypropylene sheet. We have about 25 people working in the shop and office. Come to SW PA and apply. If you can read a print, use a tape, and put up with alot of BS you might just make it.[/QUOTE]

So THAT is where all of the BS is coming from! I didn't know the DC politicians couldn't keep up and they had to open factories to produce it and put in tanks to keep it in! They are "pickled" all right, that is for sure.

Putting up with BS- boy, it's everywhere, ain't it?

Sorry for the hijack, guys.
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master
    Need any help installing those pickle tanks?

They go in the lunchroom, right?

Boolit Master

robroy- is your avatar photo a picture of you building the pickling tanks?
    I at first thought it might be either one of Santa's elves in a flying saucer, or the Travelocity lawn gnome got another job!
    USMC 1980-1985

yup that's me. I'm trying to make my way back to the mother ship. The tank is for off line storage of HNO3 20% with HF 3%. Nasty poisonous stuff.

Boolit Master

Cu in scrap lead

See semi-related post on my lead purchase today at scrapyard.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=89788&page=2

They assayed my purchase items with a handheld x-ray device.
    Some small ingots there were very similar alloy except they also had .13% Cu.
    I don't know how common this is.
    All of it seemed pretty hard, maybe a little "ring" when dropped, but would scratch with thumbnail.

They also had a cool shear, looked like a big claw, cut some samples for inspection.

Boolit Master

Wow, that is a fancy scrap yard! I don't know if any of these guys around here would even know what those tools were, or how to turn it on.
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master
    Yeah, looked like a starwars weapon!
    Someone else walked in as she swung it around, he kinda ducked...

I like this scrapyard, they have a "$20 minimum" yard where you can poke around and pick up stuff.
    Got tubing for my Jeep before, priced by the pound.
    Last edited by a.squibload; 08-06-2010 at 01:44 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345