Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chronograph confusion

Boolit Master

Chronograph confusion

I'm in the market for a chronograph. The problem is which one? Every review I read seems they're all great and they all suck. Oehler is out of the question but I read on Midway USA's sight about the Shooting Chrony, Pact, CED and RCBS. If you read the reviews, about 75% say they're the greatest thing on earth...the remaining 25% say they never worked right and wouldn't use it as a door stop....regardless of manufacture.

So which one? They're all about the same price...

Boolit Master
    I hope you can get some good answers to that question that go way into the fine details. Such as why they are great, or why they suck. I've been holding off buying one for the same reason that you mentioned.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Boolit Master
    I swear it's just bizarre....one guy will say the build quality is wonderful....the next review says it looks like it was made in someone's garage. Just insert any chronograph name....
    God I wish I could part with mega dollars for an Oehler.

A friend has a PACT that he bought back in the early 80s. It works well, is consistent and repeatable. I have a Chrony that is about 7 years old. I don't use it that often but it works well, is consistent and repeatable. All of them are sensative to light and difusion and will work better if installed in a light box but not always practical. The more money you pay, the more stuff the machine will calculate. I am not interested is a lot of the advanced calculations or hooking up to a compputer so my little Chrony and a paper note book suite me fine. I think I paie $100.00.

Boolit Master

I have spent way too much money in shooting equipment over the years, but I did hold back on getting a chronograph. Like Dan Cash, I bought one of the least expensive chronies and am perfectly happy with it. I think a lot of the dis-satisfaction is due to the user's inabilities, or too high of expectations. I also feel that many people are putting out information that is not quiet factual, i.e., "I got 1000 fps measured velocity over the chronograph and had only a +/- of 5 fps variation in a ten shot group." I have gotten as low as a +/- 11 fps variation with mine, but that was with factory match bullet in my .22! I did that for a test to see if they were all that much better than the cheaper factory bullets. Well, the "match bullets" traveled at 25% slower and there was a 50% less variation of velocity.

Ultimately, a chronograph is not gonna be the make all, do all tool of measuring your velocity, just like your calipers or mic, the operator must follow some basic rules and he should get some basic measurements that he can work with. Do not expect your chronograph to read the same as your friends, even when you line them up where the same projectile is passing over the two of them consecutively.

EW

Been very happy with my CE ProChrono Digital. It has an option for a remote, but found I really didn't need that for what I do.

I enter my strings of shots into an excel spreadsheet manually, with local temp, barometric pressure, and humidity. Also add all the pertinent details of the load, and any notes about accuracy, quirks, leading, and whatnot. There is a different sheet tab in the master workbook for each cartridge type.

The spreadsheet also calculates energy, momentum, and Taylor K.O. factor.

Big part of the enjoyment for myself, doing all the analysis after the shooting session.
    Most interesting all the things one learns over time.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I've had a Chrony the F1 I think about 3 years . It is the simplest most basic model avalible. It has given me some suprizing results ,almost every load is faster than advertised ,but it gives me the same readings every time so no complaints.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

In Remembrance
    I work with a load until it shoots the smallest group, so I don't care what the velocity is.
    But, for a chance of having small groups at long range, the ES and SD need to be small.
    To get those numbers is why I bought a chronograph and the F-1 Chrony will do it...if you add a simple switch.

I don't need to use it often, and it makes me feel better knowing I'm not 'ignoring' a real expensive toy.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Well put me down for the cheap model - My chrony works just fine but I have discoverd a few things - must have same orientation - not tiltled up or down - should be about same distance from muzzle and not too close - If your shooting dawn or dusk you will experience problems - get one of the LED hockeypuck lights - mount on the diffuser with some sticky backed Velcro - problem solved - Also found that each chrono graph is similar but not identical to others it may be counting really fast but each one has a different beat buy a little - don't believe me take three chonographs line them up and shoot over the top of each and check the measurements - then for amusement change the order and do it again - let's see what you get.

Boolit Master

I have the F1 Master Chrony. The remote display and the DIY remote control makes this unit perfect for my needs. I cast, reload & shoot pistol mostly.

When I got the Chrony I set it up in my back yard and used a .177 air rifle to get to know the unit. It picks up the round passing through the screens each time. Impressive.

Bliksem

I have two chronographs now, and have had as many as five. Of the currently available chrono's the only one I have not thoroughly tested is the CED. For my money the Oehler is the only thing going. The Pact is pretty good, but if you're relying on it (need to make PF in IPSC or similar) you should consider it about 10fps optimistic. The Oehler is very consistent in any light in which it registers.

Pact and Oehler have compatible screens. In my experience the Oehler screens are more robust. If you buy a Pact or Oehler chrono, the various flavors are identical in terms of velocity measurement - it's only the bells and whistles (like printing, software, etc) that change. The cheapest Pact is as accurate as the most expensive Pact - same with Oehler.

Chrony's are decent, but more finicky about lighting, more variable, and of course you're putting the whole brain under the bullet path, where your friend WILL shoot it...

GsT

Boolit Master
    friends don't let friends shoot through their chronograph

Boolit Master
    my Chrony is probley 10 or 12 years old it is all I need, But if I were to buy another it would be the cheapest one I could find with a printer. That's what I really wish I had a printer. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy lead View Post
    friends don't let friends shoot through their chronograph
    I've let friends shoot through my chrono, unfortunately instead of through the screens they have shot through the chrono.

No problem. The PACT that I have had a guarantee that even if hit with a bullet they would replace it for $30. It's been replaced twice in the 15 years I've had it.

I now have a cheap Chrony as well for a backup. Works well so no complaints here.
    Go ahead and run. You will only die tired

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    The Chrony's with printer (don't know the models offhand, but you can look them up) are good enough for most people's work. Sure, I wish I had bought one of Oehler's Personal Ballistic Lab setups 10 years ago when I could have, but I really don't need the kind of accuracy required for certifying my ammo to meet govermnet contract specs. +/- 10 or so fps from what I might measure with an Oehler will suit my purposes. I can get that much variation by changing the distance a few feet from the bench to the chronograph.

You do want to find a unit that places the display and electronics unit on your bench, rather than out in front of the muzzle. If you make a mistake, less is lost. A printer and computer cable is handy, too.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master
    I'll take a stab. I think that a lot of people have problems with their chronographs because they don't understand exactly how they work.
    If the sky is clear then there is no light going directly into the optics. Thats what the diffusers do. They catch light from angles and light up so the optics can detect the bullet passing.
    If the sun is low, you will not likely get good results. They do not work well in the shade either.
    You can use artificial light as long as it is even and not from a pinpoint source like a light bulb.
    Shining a bright light onto the white ceiling will work and a florescent light will work if the lamp is longways with the bullet travel.
    The rods on the side are simply guide rods and hold the diffusers also. Thats all they do.

There are those that will tell you that you get errors because the pickups are mal-adjusted. I say bunk! There are no adjustments on any chronographs that I have seen at Cabelas or the likes of other stores and mine as well.

And everyone knows all that I know about the chronies.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    I'm in the market for a chronograph. The problem is which one? Every review I read seems they're all great and they all suck. Oehler is out of the question but I read on Midway USA's sight about the Shooting Chrony, Pact, CED and RCBS. If you read the reviews, about 75% say they're the greatest thing on earth...the remaining 25% say they never worked right and wouldn't use it as a door stop....regardless of manufacture.

So which one? They're all about the same price...
    I use an ancient Shooting Chrony Model F, which I think is at least 20 years old. I looks as it was made from bent sheets of metal, but it is a tool, not a thing of beaty and it works. It just reads the velocity, which I write down for each shot, then calculate average, standard deviation and extreeme spread on my computer. Last time I looked a more up to date model was avaliable for about $100. It belongs to one of my clubs, so it has been used by many and shot up through the screens a few times, but it still works.

It is quick and reliable way to sort out good loads from less good.

Alex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0416.JPG  

Boolit Bub
    I like my Chrony F1 and most error problems are of my doing. However... I do have a problem with the shades blowing off. Considered cementing all the parts together but it would be too bulky to pack. As for consistency, it seems to be right on. It shows my reloads are much more consistent than factory loads. Ed.

Boolit Master
    No problem. The PACT that I have had a guarantee that even if hit with a bullet they would replace it for $30. It's been replaced twice in the 15 years I've had it.
    Hmmm, that's good to know. I wonder if any other brands do that?
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

I bought a used Chrony, but have never used it. Any suggestions for proper setup and use?

Thanks,
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast