Load DataWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Observation: Going from a 10 LB to a 20 LB pot

Boolit Master

Observation: Going from a 10 LB to a 20 LB pot

I'm in my second year of casting. I started out with a LEE 10lb bottom pour. After getting a six cavity, the 10 was too small. Plus my pot seem to only run good between about 2 though 8 pounds of alloy. It was either running too fast or too slow.

I just got a LEE 20lb bottom pour. I spent the morning casting with a couple two cavity molds. What I notice was the lead temperature stayed much more consistent. I didn't have to stop to add metal and wait to come up to temp. I was in the groove for a much longer period of time. My production was increased. My boolits look great and seem very consistent.

The only down side is the spout is a bit hidden. I was able to get used to it.

Live and learn. Now I have two pots!!

Boolit Master
    Now you can use the 10 lb pot for adding hot metal to the 20. Then you wont have to wait for it to come back up to temp.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Boolit Man
    i used a 10lb pot first..it was a friends. when i bought one i got the 20lb er. the 20lb one is MUCH better.

rm

Boolit Master
    i use the old dip pot (from my Dad 35 yrs old) filled with alloy to dip the corner of my mold to pre heat and bottom pour to cast. Also for blending alloy etc

Boolit Grand Master

I went from a 4 to a 20. Slight difference there. Actually went from the stovetop cast iron pot (20) to the 4 to the 20. I ladle pour though. I still use the 4 for small jobs and keep it full of soft lead for my MLs. I can do it easier being small because soft lead I can just crank it up most all the way. I saw right away the 4 wouldn't do well so I went right to the 20 from there. I also keep small pieces of lead handy to stoke the 4 that way it keeps the pot more even not adding a big 1# weight at a time.
    Aim small, miss small!

Quote Originally Posted by zomby woof View Post
    Wep, the 20# is certainly a better product, even for 2cav users. I bought one & use it for ww alloy. I use the 10# now for LHP, keep it fille dw/ 25-1 alloy. Oh yeah, neither appreciabely drips. Just never empty them & don't smelt in them, they won't drip much.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by zomby woof View Post
    I'm in my second year of casting. I started out with a LEE 10lb bottom pour. After getting a six cavity, the 10 was too small. Plus my pot seem to only run good between about 2 though 8 pounds of alloy. It was either running too fast or too slow.

I just got a LEE 20lb bottom pour. I spent the morning casting with a couple two cavity molds. What I notice was the lead temperature stayed much more consistent. I didn't have to stop to add metal and wait to come up to temp. I was in the groove for a much longer period of time. My production was increased. My boolits look great and seem very consistent.

The only down side is the spout is a bit hidden. I was able to get used to it.

zomby woof,

Your experiences mirror mine. The ability to keep temperature consistent makes life so much easier. I went a little wild and built myself a larger melting pot and PID to keep the temperature consistent. See here: http://bliksemseplek.com/boolits.html

Having the spout visible without getting a crick in the neck is important as well. What I do is to use a recycled office chair, which is cranked real low, to sit low enough that the spout is at eye level. Good lighting is important as well. Being able to see the pour entering the mold helps to get good results.

Bliksem

Banned

i just raised my casting bench.
    then raised the pot till it was about shoulder height.
    going to a 40 lb pot enables me to stack about 10 lbs of lead on the 1/2" steel top i cut out to fit.
    and dropping in 2-3 lbs of lead has no effect on the temp.

Boolit Bub
    I also started with the Lee 10# and now have the 20#. Both have good and bad points to them.

Boolit Buddy
    My experience has been thesame as mentioned. The alloy temp is much more consistant durring the run time. When level gets low I notice the alloy temp swinging and refill. I have also noticed the drip is almost non existant with the 20lb pot once it is up to temp.

I bought two pots and use them side by side. When one is refilled the other is ready and the casting continues.

Hank

In Remebrance

Wait till you chuck them and go to a 30+ lbs pot! Or really go over board and use a 100 lbs pot and a Rowell ladle!

The mind boggles at the possibilities......

Boolit Buddy
    I was in the groove = YUP that where you want to be