RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: 8mm-06 dies, gloating a bit

Boolit Master

8mm-06 dies, gloating a bit

I have wanted to own an 8mm-06 rifle for some time, I even have a line on a couple here locally. the one thing that has prevented the acquisition (excluding the SWMBO) was the price of reloading equipment for this caliber. Most places that had heard of the die sets wanted more than $60 for a simple 2 die set. Yesterday I was out browsing trough the reloading section of a local sporting goods big box store, and pushed back on the bottom shelf was a set of brand new RCBS 8mm-06 dies with a little red clearance sticker. once I blew the dust off the sticker, I noticed it read $19.99!

Once I picked myself up off the floor (and checked to see if they had another box) I came home with a nice $60 die set.

I should have a new gun by the end of the year

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    You will be very pleased with the 8MM-06. I have had several and was offered more than I could refuse each time. I did pick up a set of RCBS dies last year so I could build another one. I always let the dies go with the rifle(dumb, I know).
    I never used cast bullets, tho, maybe next time.

Boolit Grand Master

I like mine, too. Old Turk Mauser I paid $45 for mail order, yeah, that long ago. 30" barrel, muzzle wear, I expected throat wear, had my gunsmith cut off the barrel to 21" and re-chamber to -06. Viola, new barrel!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

A friend has used his 8MM-06 for near 20 years. Based on a 721 Remington it's a fine deer killer plus plenty flat shooting. You'll love it...............Creeker

Dry Creek Bullet Works
    Dry Creek Firewood

Boolit Master

I have a 8mm-06 AI. This one of my favorite rifles. Brass is all over the place, it packs one heck of a punch, and bullet selection is fairly extensive. Enjoy.
    Jack

Boolit Bub

8x63

I also have one from the 1960 that is in the Ackley version.Get 2950 fps with the sierra 175 grain jacketed . Have shot some cast in it but use other rifles for the cast boolits.

Boolit Master
    I've got an old K98 that Dad put together for less than $100 back in the 70s, scope and all. Its a shooter, and a stomper with heavy boolits. I have loads in jacketed that shoot 1.25" consistently and occasionally sub 1". I shoot it mostly with cast between 1700 and 2100. Most groups are 2 to 3" at 100 with 323470, and the Lee 175 without doing any super duper reloading techniques.

I reload on a RCBS Jr press and find that I need to anneal every-other reloading to keep the press pressures reasonable for that low leverage press.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad