Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .22 auto pistol

Talking

thanks for all the replies they all heave helped. As i stated earlier I'm only interested in a plinker around here I have seen the 22/45 brand new for 309.99 so I put that as the max amount that I wanted to pay. There doesn't seem to be too many of these types of guns on the used market which tells me most are happy with what they bought and I find that encouraging. I have not made a choice and of course half the fun is the hunt

I put a Hogue Handall on my 22/45 and I think it really helps the way it feels. I have the older model.

http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/handall.html
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master
    One thing about my Ruger I forgot to mention. If I loaded no more than six .22 shorts the pistol would cycle the shorts with no jams.
    The Ruger auto basic design was very well thought out.
    I've seen these converted to .32 centerfire, though why they did these is hard to say.

Boolit Master

Smith and Wesson Came up with a WINNER when they came up with the 22 A series (and others of that series. The gun is accurate and very easy to field strip and the built in scope rail is a winner for those that want to put a red dot or scope on it. Mine wears a Bushnell Trophy series red dot and it is a accurate and easy to use set up. I have had Ruger MK 1's and IIs and they are good pistols at least the ones I had except for one Mark I that I could not get to shoot worth a hill of beans. I like this Smith better for the reasons I outlined above. The Smiths you can find for a good price too.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master
    I have only seen one Ruger auto pistol, in photo's, converted to 32 S&W long.

Have no idea who does this but am interested in finding out!

As for why? The 32 is, or was, an option for one leg of the NRA bullseye match's instead of the 38. How cool to have at least two guns that feel the same?

Don't want to hi jack the thread but if someone has info please PM me.

I like my Browning Buckmark Target pistol, it'll shoot one hole groups all day long at 25 yards. With its 10" bull barrel and Bushnell pistol scope it'll spin the lid off a fruit jar without breaking the jar from the bench at 25 yds.

Larry

Boolit Master

i have a ruger and a buckmark, the ruger is a little more robust while the browning has a little better ergonomics (for me). accuracy is about the same with an aimpoint.

Talking

yeah but can you spin the top off of a fruit jar without breaking the jar that would be cool to see I know I'll never be able to do that. But seriously i looked at a ruger and browning and the ruger grip was very thin I'd like to try one of the new ones with wood grips. I still am having a hard time making up my mind on which one I'd like to own. But I really appreciate everyone's help and experiences

Boolit Master
    I own several of the handguns that have been discussed so far in this thread. As far as bang for the buck I would buy the ruger mkiii, would be a toss up bewteen the 5.5 bull bbl target and the slabside comp model.

It all depends on what you really want it for. The browning buck mark is easier to operate for us lefties as is the S&W model 41. The ruger is touchy to reassemble until you figure out the strut and relieve pressure on the mainspring. The browning you have to use a screwdriver to strip and the sights never land in the same place for me twice.

My personal favroite .22 that I shoot the most would be a toss up bewteen my ruger charger and the 10 inch contender bbl. I never carry .22s like a hangun, they are only shot at the range or carried like a rifle. Both are extreamly accurate with the thompson edging the ruger out.

Ebner

Boolit Master
    I'd have to say..keep watching for a good used Ruger MKII. They turn up every now and again at the gunshows. I wouldn't pay over $250 for a used one. They are very trouble free and I've never stripped mine down to clean it. Probably 10,000 rounds thru it so far. I just spray it down with Gun Scrubber and blow it out. Big brother has one that's had literally 100's of thousands of rounds thru it...I mean bricks on top of bricks of every concievable ammo. He's never stripped his down either. I don't recall either of us ever having a mis-fire when using longrifle ammo. Shorts didn't work so well. Accuracy is better than most rifles. No suprise there..it's a Ruger. Audie..the Oldfart..

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    I've never owned a Ruger, so I can't say anything about them. I have and do own a Buckmark and I love it. It's only the second one I've shot, the first was a friend's of mine. After shooting his, I had to have one. The grip feel isn't the exactly the same as a 1911 but close enough that it naturally points for me.

I don't know about opening mason jar lids, but mine will bust clays on a fence post at 100 yards all day long.

Regards,
    Everett
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."

Boolit Master
    i have a mk1 6 1/2" target won many matchs with it. made expert with it. i have a mk2 that i got to retire the mk1 with it shoots just as good.

Boolit Buddy

.22 auto pistol

I have a 1976 Ruger Mk. I that has digested a zillion rounds and never missed a beat. It is fun, accurate and reliable. What more could anyone want ? No,
    it's not flashy, but it works when I want it to. My advice would be to find a used, but not abused Mk. I and buy it.

The only Auto that I have really ever used is the old Colt Woodsman and Marksmen pistols. Never have had a problem with any of them. But they are old now and darn it I need to find grips lol. One of them is a factory Chrome Woodsman with the plastic white grips that are twisted up a bit from age so they need to be replaced.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

I got my Ruger 6" standard model in 1973 and have not had any desire to replace it to date.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Boolit Master
    I currently have 4 Rugers, a MKI and 3 Mk II. I also own a Buckmark slabside and will say without question that I prefer the Browning. Nicer trigger out of the box by far, and the ergonomics are better.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Every Saturday morning, I shoot in a 22 handgun falling plate match. We see Rugers, Brownings and Smith and Wessons mostly with Rugers taking the lead. A factory Ruger trigger needs work out of the box, but Volquartson makes a drop in kit that works very well.

I shoot a Clark modified Ruger MkII. It has a Clark steel trigger adjusted to 2.5 lbs and a Douglas barrel. When I miss, it is not the pistols fault.

I would start with a Ruger and you can upgrade the trigger and other parts as you go if you feel it needful.

I have a ruger mk II KMK512 (stainless 5.5 in bull barrel) that I love. Wouldn't part with it. It shoots well, and as previously mentioned - isn't bad to strip and reassemble once you learn the ruger handshake.

My Father has a smith 22a sport- the older model. I've shot it a lot and do all the cleaning on it. It is one of the older ones with the hard plastic grips. The newer grips look comfortable, but it has been very reliable with ammo it likes.

The ruger will eat anything, the smith seems to really favor federal bulk by a large margin.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I have owned a Ruger MK I. It was OK, but certainly not a true target pistol.

I currently own a S&W M-41, 5 inch heavy barrel. Very accurate, feeds everything, trigger is VERY sensitive. I could have that fixed, I suppose. I'd like for it to be more like my other handguns at at 2 - 3 pounds. It currently is set to ounces. Other than the price, it's hard to beat. I bought mine 25 or so years ago when the dollar cost was lower, but in proportion to other handguns it's about the same cost now.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12