Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glocks & Lead, Constructive Suggestions PLEASE!

Boolit Buddy
    I've been quite happy with Carnauba Red and Power Pistol using the same mold you have. Higher charges seem to be less smokey, but the lower charges help with the quicker transitions during Steel Challenge. Lower charges were less smokey with HP38, but Power Pistol seems to work my compensator better. PM for actual load data.

My barrel is only ever one swipe from clean, and the only time the chamber gets fouled up is if I use too much case lube in the case feeder. I was never able to get 45/45/10 to stop leading, despite the ease of use.

Another thing that might help it smoke less is to go up by .001" . Get a better seal and you'll melt off less lube.
    Last edited by CiDirkona; 12-13-2010 at 01:53 PM.

Boolit Master

On the topic of Glocks and boolits, I've been doing some experimenting myself.

I did get some leading in my G21 after running a few boxes of my Lee 230gr TC's thru. I sized them .452 and lubed them in the "recluse lube" of LLA/JPW. They shot great really. Every magazine, I pulled it apart and looked down the barrel. At the range, I couldn't see any problem. Accuracy stayed good, but I did find some leading after I got it home to clean it. It all seemed to be at the first inch or so past the chamber.

I tried again last week on my day off, and didn't see anywhere near as much leading. I also had a jar of Shooter's Choice solvent to try out. I ran a patch of that thru, hit it with the bronze brush a bit, then ran a few tight cotton patches thru. The bore was spotless after that.

I didn't shoot the G30 as much that day, but it cleaned up very easily.

My Glocks are .45's though, and they run an 8 groove polygonal rifling. I'm guessing that variable makes a pretty big difference compared to the 6 groove barrels of the 9's and 40's.

Another issue I saw was when I tried not cleaning the lube off the boolits. I had a good layer on because I'd tumbled them 3x in recluse lube trying to get more fillout in the lube groove. The lube on the nose built up in the chamber and it wouldn't go into battery after a while.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by miestro_jerry View Post
    The H.K. P7s have a similar barrel geometry, so the same warning is given with them.
    We used P7M8s and P7M13s, and I recall the concern with lead being that in a gas operated pistol it might plug the gas port.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range HammerMTB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tech413 View Post
    Ok guys,
    Went to the range yesterday, put the first 25 rounds through my glock, removing and inspecting the barrel after every 5. Showed no signs of leading. I put 140 rounds through it, checking often. Disassembled at the range, there is no lead in the barrel!!!

I'm satisfied with how everything turned out and I found that the cast rounds were more accurate than the factory rounds that I have been shooting. The only complaint I have is the smoke and how dirty it was but its a small price to pay for cheap ammo.

Does anyone have any suggestions for lube that might smoke less? I'm using the 50/50 beeswax/alox and it works great, just smokes alot.

Thanks so much to everyone with positive input, and thanks to the forum for helping me get started.
    I'm glad to hear it worked out well for ya!
    I will say I got less smoke from LLA than I did from 50/50.
    That said, I came back from the range Saturday and set to cleaning my Mdl 20. Lo and behold, it had some significant streaks of lead down the bbl! A quick wipe of the Lewis Lead Remover got it all out, but now my mind is searching for the reason it happened.... it hasn't in the past with the same load. Accuracy didn't deteriorate during the session, either. Guess it's time to do some more experiments, see what changed....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123