MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Repairs

Boolit Master

Ruger Repairs

Well I have had a Blackhawk at Ruger for 2 months now and still haven't gotten the gun back even though it was scheduled to be shipped 6-4-10. Not shipped yet.
    I have just about had it with Ruger even though I "was" a big Ruger fan.
    BTW not my first issue with them.
    It is getting on my last nerve too.

Boolit Master

Welcome to the club.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

anachronism
    My record is 9 months. I could've had another kid instead!

Boolit Grand Master

Lots of Rugers, only one time to the factory. I bought a 1965 vintage Ruger target
    model .22 auto. It misfired a bunch (it was 20 yrs old used in original box when I bought
    it). Couldn't figure it out, so sent it back. ALL PARTS EXCEPT BARREL AND RECEIVER (top
    tube) replaced for free. Runs perfectly now, 25 yrs later.

I like Rugers, all of mine (many) have been good guns. Not too many in the last 15 yrs (only
    two) so maybe I'm out of touch. Latest is a .22/45, works great and real accurate, don't like
    the safety "improvements" - the mag safety about drives me crazy.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

MTGUN44 I am sure for every bad story here about Rugers there are plenty of good ones never said they were all bad but come on as the guys say above two months and nine months to fix a gun???? That is absurd they should just send them a new gun if its going to take that long or fix the one they have if they want that one back in a weeks time instead of months. In my particular case I have had two single sixes and two 44 Blackhawks and one each was bad thats a 50 percent rating which is not exactly stellar. For that reason and for the reason of listening to others with their issues I have sworn off buying Rugers unless I can shoot them first which very seldom happens.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Buddy
    I have sent 3 blackhawks back to Ruger for various repairs, barrel changes, wreck rebuilds, etc. I am very happy with the results I got back from them. The results are worth the wait. Thanks Jim

Boolit Grand Master

Not doubting you at all. Just for my education, what was wrong with the guns?
    Really trying to understand what they are messing up on.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

The ones I had just were not accurate they shot patterns instead of groups. Since I know what a good Ruger shoots like this was not acceptable. At first I thought it was ME but then after shooting some other pistols and found that I could still shoot a short gun well I then knew it was the Rugers that were bad not me. What I found interesting was the Single Six being so bad with both cylinders since the first one I had shot very well as did the first 44 I had. If learning nothing else from the experience it is if you have a good gun never get rid of it because the next one you may get to replace it may be a lemon.

anachronism
    I had really exceptional service with the Prescott plant. The revolver plant has long been a disappointment.

Boolit Master
    Got the gun back Wednesday and shot it today. Still shot 6 to 7 inches high at 25 yards. Called and sevice manager suppose to call me back on the situation.
    I am about through with Ruger. I will have to think long and hard before I would buy another one.
    I am not going to wait another 2 months for it to get "fixed" again. Yeah it got fixed alright.

I was a FFL dealer for 24 years and I hated to sell a Ruger. I had to send more of them back than all other brands I sold. There were a number of them that after the second or third trip I repaired myself just to try to keep the customer happy.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Banned
    pdawgshooter said
    I was a FFL dealer for 24 years and I hated to sell a Ruger. I had to send more of them back than all other brands I sold. There were a number of them that after the second or third trip I repaired myself just to try to keep the customer happy.
    That's funny, my FFL said in the thousands of guns he has transfered over the years, he has never, ever had to send back a Ruger. Not trying to stir the pot, but that's exactly what he said.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    pdawgshooter said
    That's funny, my FFL said in the thousands of guns he has transfered over the years, he has never, ever had to send back a Ruger. Not trying to stir the pot, but that's exactly what he said.

Then he is one of two things either the luckiest man on earth or full of BS.

44mag
    howmuch do you want for your broken blackhawk

Boolit Mold
    I have been a Ruger fan for years and have had multiple Ruger 44's and 22's in rifle and pistol and one #1 in 375 H&H. All of them have been great guns except my 4" Redhawk in 44 mag. That thing shot shotgun patterns at any distance with any load or bullet. Got sick of it and sent it back this spring. Ruger had it for a month and reset the barrel, fixed the crane(not sure what could have been wrong with it), and put a new crown on it. Took it to the range two nights ago and it is now shooting a 4" group at 10 yards from the bench. Guess that is better but doubt I will be keeping this pistol much longer.

I am still a Ruger fan though and doubt that will ever change.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Got the gun back Wednesday and shot it today. Still shot 6 to 7 inches high at 25 yards. Called and sevice manager suppose to call me back on the situation.
    I am about through with Ruger. I will have to think long and hard before I would buy another one.
    I am not going to wait another 2 months for it to get "fixed" again. Yeah it got fixed alright.
    Taller front sight, (you knew that, and it's a bunch of work on some guns), OR, look at what actually hits on the rear sight when it's bottomed. Take it off, and file away the base of the sight until it will drop down OVER the rear of the frame. It's easy, and basically invisable when done. My brothers SBH will zero with heavy 300 gr loads with this simple and FREE modification. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    It would take at least .057" to take the group down enough where one would have some leeway on sight adjustment.
    I am not going to start grinding and filing and fiddling with the rear sight by taking some off the top of the blade and the bottom of the sight housing to try to get a messed up gun fixed that should have been right before it left the factory.
    I appreciate your advice but but 57 to 60 thou to me is out of the question.
    Now 15 to 20 thou is a different thing.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Back in the early days of stainless steel NMBH; I sent one back, waited 4 months(remember, no email or internet). Called several times, no answer, finally got thru. They said they would look for it, HUH????. After 2 more months, received letter stating that the gun had been marked received and they couldn't find it. Almost 3 months later, received letter stating that gun had been destroyed, should never have been shipped, QC failed to stop it. Finally received credit for it. Better believe I've never looked at another stainless steel Ruger of any model.

Boolit Master

That bad Single Six I had was a stainless too.

Boolit Master
    Well, send 'er on down the road. Or file on that $5 rear sight...