WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .433 330gr LMN dual crimp groove AKA B3

Banned

yea I'll try faster, we'll see.

Boolit Master at heavens range

41 swiss load

I just shot this today in my Swiss Vetterli 12.5 Unique, 333 gr., 5 shots = 1.826 at 100 yds., Can someone try this bullet in a 444, It should do good.

I'm A Honcho!
    I got my mold out and did some test casting with it. It cast beautifully right off the bat. I noted it got pretty hot, and had to keep the pace down with it, but it drops easily and the bullets are beautiful. One of the best LEE molds I have!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 dogs View Post
    One of the best LEE molds I have!

They took long enough!

Boolit Master
    Anything?

I'm A Honcho!
    Not yet! But its high on my list!

I'm A Honcho!
    OK DJ, here is an update!

I got out my Harton tuned RH and pin guages and measured my throats. A .431 guage fit but a .432 guage would not. I sized my bullets .432 on a Star base first careful to keep them nice and lined up.

I loaded them on my Dillon 550 on 19.0 grain of Lil Gun seated out to the longer crimp groove. They fit my RH with room to spare in the cylinder. I might also mention I also have a second long cylinder 44, a custom Ruger Bisley by Dave Clements. I hope to get out and get some preliminary shooting done here pretty soon and update again. So far they are looking like some serious meat seeking missiles!

I'm A Honcho!
    Ok, I shot them today, estimated velocity was about 1250 fps. I did see some trace leading in my barrel, which is not what I wanted to see. Im going to slow this bullet down a little and see if it makes a difference. Or I might just need to firelap it a little bit.

I remember going down this road with that 444 bullet with multiple crimp grooves loaded long in my Clements 44 mag. Whenever I got up to the 1200 fps range I started seeing leading...

Any thoughts?

Boolit Master
    Ok, I shot them today, estimated velocity was about 1250 fps. I did see some trace leading in my barrel, which is not what I wanted to see. Im going to slow this bullet down a little and see if it makes a difference. Or I might just need to firelap it a little bit.

I remember going down this road with that 444 bullet with multiple crimp grooves loaded long in my Clements 44 mag. Whenever I got up to the 1200 fps range I started seeing leading...

Any thoughts?
    What was your alloy?

I'm A Honcho!
    These bullets were about 14 bhn.

I'm A Honcho!
    I got out my Bullet Hardness tester and rechecked these big 44's right at 14 BHN.

Consider this: I looked at the fired cases and noted at the case mouths there was a thick ring of lubricant where the lube never made it into the barrel. This tells me this bullet is seeing too much pressure! When the full caliber driving band hits the barrel and the back end of the bullet is being pushed too hard its squeezing the lube out of the grease groove prematurely.....

I will drop this powder charge a grain and see what I see here.....

I'm A Honcho!
    No comments here guys?? DJ, ?

Banned

I've been a bit pre occupied.

Roof had a big hole in it, leaking when raining, have to fix, have to fix chimney, it not working right for wood stove, etc.... other priorities right now.

Sorry.

I'm A Honcho!
    Yes, I understand, so have I!!! I have decided to not only reduce the load a grain but Im also going to size these bullets down to .4315 and see if some of that lube can make it in the barrel!!!

I'm A Honcho!
    Ok I shot them on 18 grains of Lil Gun sized .4315 and they did much better, but by the 12 round I am still seeing some leading here.

Sean Harper thinks I need to water drop these bullets to harden them up, so I guess thats next.

Sure could use some help here.....

Boolit Master
    Water drop them. I think it will help. I think hardness should always go by pressure rather than velocity. This is a good example a heavy for diameter bullet going at modest velocity despite running at average pressure.

If you get leading when you water drop, I'd UP the powder charge.

I'm A Honcho!
    Ok, got it. Dang it tho, I hate remelting such PRETTY bullets!!!!

Boolit Master

Smile

You could just send them to me.

I'm A Honcho!
    What? You didnt get one of these molds?

Boolit Master
    What? You didnt get one of these molds?
    I sent mine to Blammer to replace the one the Post Office misplaced. This group buy was short by several people and I couldn't afford extras

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast