Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .433 330gr LMN dual crimp groove AKA B3

Banned

.433 330gr LMN dual crimp groove AKA B3

Here is the thread for the GB.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=30340

I got my mould in the mail today and couldn't stand it! After 2 years I finally got my copy of the mould! Thank you only1asterick for sticking it out so long as the honcho, you are to be commended on the endourance effort on this Lee GB. As and aside note it's my last Lee GB mould I've been waiting on, and actually my first participation in a Lee GB mould.

So without further wait.

I degreased my mould, heated up the pot and commenced to get it hot and cast good boolits very quickly! The huge boolit helped in keeping the mould up to temp, acutally too hot. I used the damp towel trick to help cool it off once up to temp. I was getting good frosted boolits every cast and they were just falling right out with a tad of a tap.

After casting a pile, I took three and measured them. 335gr with my WW alloy.

.433 in dia and .434 at the widest part on ALL of them.

the two crimp grooves and nose were spec'd at .428 and they were dead on the money!

Didn't get to measuring the rest of the dims but they looked good. I'll get to measuring them later.

I sized and lubed a few for the pic. They look awesome!

Now to load a few for my RSRH and my 44mag T/C barrel.

I don't think they'll work in the R77 unless I single feed them. I may try it just for grins.

Anyone else get this mould cast and or test any?

How about some other results? I'm curious.

Banned

loaded up some dummy rounds.

Seated to the lower of the two crimp grooves, (approaching from the base of the boolit) they will fit nicely in my Super Redhawk. Almost flush with the end of the cylinder, but a bit of room left. YEA!

Then I took the same round and fed it single into my R77 bolt gun. It went nicely and when I pulled it out to look at it, there were "just perfect" engraving marks from the rifling on the boolit. The bolt was easy to close and the round was easy to extract. I'll definitely try single feeding this in my R77.

Anyone have a recommended start load for this?

I'm thinking 14gr of 2400 and the 335gr boolit.

I loaded a few at 15.3 of 2400. 1025 fps over the chronograph. 1" group at 25 yards off sand bags from my Redhawk.

Banned

I tried two rounds today with 14gr of 2400 and observed some really flat primers, when shot out of my SRH. I think I may back off a bit more an try 13gr.

Boolit Master at heavens range
    Dose fine in my 41 Swiss rifles. I use 13 grs. of unique
    Last edited by smokemjoe; 09-30-2010 at 08:32 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    I tried two rounds today with 14gr of 2400 and observed some really flat primers, when shot out of my SRH. I think I may back off a bit more an try 13gr.
    Really? I'd think that would be a fairly mild load...

Banned

I thought they would be too. But them primers are flattern a pancake.

Boolit Master
    I thought they would be too. But them primers are flattern a pancake.
    I don't think excess pressure caused your flattened primers unless you accidently loaded Unique instead of 2400.

For a SRH, 16 grains of 2400 is where I'd start thinking about pressure (leading would likely stop me first).

I loaded 16.2 with CCI Lg Pistol Mag primers. No flatten primers or any other signs of excessive pressure, fell easily out of the cylinder of my Redhawk, and fed and ejected like stuff thru a goose in a Winchester trapper. Deadly accurate in both and hits like a brick. I like this mold.
    Big Bullets at moderate speeds...Makes things move

I'm A Honcho!
    DJ, you sure cast pretty boolits. Considering that this particular mold was my bright idea I was pretty upset when Lee took so dang long. Im glad to see that it casts so nicely!

What is the longest OAL you get with a loaded 44?

Banned

longest OAL on my 44, 1.740 or real close to that.

I'm A Honcho!
    Thanks DJ!

Banned

hmm, just loaded another boolit and the length was 1.790 and it fit fine in my SRH

Banned

Ok I figured out what my problem was! It was the brass, evidentally I had a loose primer pocket and the primer backed out a bit then the pressure pushed the case back into the primer making it look really flat. I used some new brass and they showed no signs of pressure on my 15gr of 2400 with 335gr boolit.

Banned

Well I can say for certain that 15gr of 2400 is not fast enough to stabilize these out of my RSRH at 50 yds.

Time to crank up the powder charge!

Boolit Buddy James C. Snodgrass's Avatar
    Well I just got to test these out of a Win, Trapper myself . I tried some with a lite load of Unique and they didn,t stabilize so I switched to 2400 . I found some +P data in Handloader for the SRH and used 19 gr with a std CCI primer crimped in the top groove and got bullets touching at 50 yds . the cases extract like every other load with ease and I don't see any signs of pressure . I will try to chrono this week end . James

Banned

I shot some more out of my RSRH with 17gr of 2400, they were showing signs of starting to keyhole at 100yds.

it was a 4'' by 5" group

mine weighed 335gr's.

I'm A Honcho!
    DJ, keep us advised on these results please. Thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by James C. Snodgrass View Post
    Well I just got to test these out of a Win, Trapper myself . I tried some with a lite load of Unique and they didn,t stabilize so I switched to 2400 . I found some +P data in Handloader for the SRH and used 19 gr with a std CCI primer crimped in the top groove and got bullets touching at 50 yds . the cases extract like every other load with ease and I don't see any signs of pressure . I will try to chrono this week end . James
    Waiting for chrono results. That is pretty stout load to crimp in the top groove.

Boolit Master
    I shot some more out of my RSRH with 17gr of 2400, they were showing signs of starting to keyhole at 100yds.

it was a 4'' by 5" group

mine weighed 335gr's.
    Faster!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast