WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: a little help with identification

Boolit Buddy

a little help with identification

I recently came into possession of these, pretty sure they are swaging dies, since they don't look like any reloading dies I have ever seen. Any help at all would be appreciated, the 308 adn 45 are obviously not complete but the .44 set up really confuses me. any help at all would again be greatly appreciated.

Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

Boolit Man

These are CH Swage-O-Matic dies and nose punches. The bolt and what looks like a reloading die thread into the top of the swaging press to hold the nose punches. They swage bullets using half jackets only because the lead bleed off is on the side, not the top.
    -Harold

The nose punch holder is universal meaning it can be used with any nose punch. You have three complete die sets consisting of a die, ejector punch and a nose punch. Each pistol die set had 6 different nose punches available for separate purchase. They were: Round Nose, Spire Point, Semi-Wadcutter, Wadcutter, Cup Point, and Semi-Wadcutter Hollow Point. Rifle dies only had Round Nose, Spire Point, and Semi-Wadcutter.
    Last edited by 15bobcat; 06-02-2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: More detailed description

Boolit Buddy
    Okay I think i understand but i am confused if you will humor me, i understand the nose punch thing why is the top of the .44 nose punch top part so different then the .308 and the .45?

Thanks a bunch
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

Boolit Man

The bolt and washer is part of the nose punch holder. If you unscrew the bolt from the nose punch and put it thru the top of the nose punch holder, you will almost have a complete nose punch holder. The only thing missing is a floating spacer that slides on the bolt. Your nose punch will now look the same as the others except for diameter and possibly nose shape.

Boolit Man

Don't know why I always do things the hard way. Go to the "CASTPICS" link at the bottom of the page. Go down the menu on the left side of that page and click on "Research and Data". Next click on "Swag-O-Matic Manual". It will explain it all, along with pictures.

Boolit Buddy

this is what i'm talking about, the left one (308) is different then the right one (44)
    Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks!
    Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Master
    PM Floodgate, he may be able to help.

Boolit Man

Now I see what you mean. The first picture was at the wrong angle for me to catch it. That one was probably made by some one other than CH.

Boolit Buddy
    thanks i appreciate your help a lot. I'm just trying to ID them. that way i can decide if I can find a press to use them with or if it's time to sell them.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Master
    The top and center sets might also be Herter's dies for their "9-Ton"Bullet Swage Press. The bottom one is for sure for the C-H "Swage-O-Matic" press. They both used half-jackets and pure lead to make bullets

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, now to look for a press, any one got one for sale? any idea how much these dies are worth?
    Last edited by .357; 06-02-2010 at 11:36 PM.
    Μολὼν λάβε

In Remembrance

I bought a Swage-O-Matic press with 357 SWC nose punch and the 357 press dies, for less than $100 a while back, on ebay. Haven't been able to find a good enough deal on "half jackets" to make that worth while. But, I have found that I can put some 147 grain cast 9mm bullets in the tooling, and bump the diameter up to 357 size, while at the same time re-forming the flat nose into a semi wad cutter.

There's more than one use for these things.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Buddy
    Duke sounds like you got exactly what i was looking for. well i hate to say it but i think i'm off to ebay to look for presses and .357 dies.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Mold
    On an Island in the Pacific Ocean called Australia
    357 I have a 9 ton for sale complete with dies for 357and 44 (427) with jacketts if required please send me your address by pm
    shrail2

Boolit Mold
    On an Island in the Pacific Ocean called Australia
    I have a 9 ton for sale complete with dies for 357and 44 (427) with jacketts if required please send me your address by pm
    shrail2