MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: hbwc??

hbwc??

i think most of us w/ 38's have shot hbwc (hollow base wad cutter) from time to time. i used to own a 357 S&w mag, and i would shoot them frequenty in that. i sold that a long time ago, and replaced it with a s&w 629. actually, i had not thought about the hbwc until i was looking for some other gun parts yesterday, and i found 3 of the 38's stashed in with all the other stuff. does anyone make a hbwc or a hbwc mold for the 44?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by XWrench3 View Post
    i think most of us w/ 38's have shot hbwc (hollow base wad cutter) from time to time. i used to own a 357 S&w mag, and i would shoot them frequenty in that. i sold that a long time ago, and replaced it with a s&w 629. actually, i had not thought about the hbwc until i was looking for some other gun parts yesterday, and i found 3 of the 38's stashed in with all the other stuff. does anyone make a hbwc or a hbwc mold for the 44?
    Why? It was to solve a problem that does not exist with modern boolits, powders and fit.
    It was the Minie' ball for the revolver. It acts the same too.
    I can tell you for a fact that an under size Minie' will not stay on paper at 50 yards but make it larger so it engraves the rifling when loading and it will hit targets at 200 yards. Is it base expansion or is it fit?
    The hollow base .38 was fine with pure lead and the slow thump of BP.

Boolit Grand Master

Lee used to sell a 200 gr WC, not HB, quit making them, I'm sure because nobody
    was buying. I have one and it has only shown medicre accy the few times I have fiddled
    with it. I have more important things to work on now, might get back to it someday.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

For some reason they don't make very many WC bullet moulds for the 44. I looked and looked and finally bought a discontinued Lee from someone that no longer needed it. I don't recall ever seeing one in a HB but that doesn't mean someone hasn't made one at one time.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

I have/had a box of 44 cal HBWC that were made in the early 1980s that were swaged. I don't remember who made then but they were in a lime green plastic box.
    A set of CH 44 swag dies and a custom punch and you can make all you want.

anachronism
    Contact Erik at Hollowpoint Bullets & as him if he'd be interested in making you a mould from a DE wadcutter mould. It seems to me like it ought to work. Then, all you need to do is find a DE wadcutter mould to modify.

Boolit Master

Never shot any HB WCs in the .44s but I have shot a bunch of 429422 HB versions of the Keith 429421 and they're not worth getting excited about./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....