Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: questions of jukar

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Jukar Rifle Breach Modifications

Getting there slowly,next job to cut away surplus metal to form the Tang then file to an Octagon.The Touch hole will be marked when the barrel is fitted to the Stock and Lock.Doing this job when I have a bit of spare time,no pressure.
    Last edited by Col4570; 07-10-2014 at 02:30 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    fouronesix,yes as you describe,the centre hole will taper and be round at the bottom and the touch hole will have a coned stainless steel insert.
    PS,The Stainless steel touch Hole insert is my only concession to modernity.
    Understood. I don't know why the Nock's patent drawing won't post, I'm sure you know what it is though. Even some of the early Nock's patent diagrams show a touch hole insert . Thanks for posting the photos and progress on the project.

Since the forum is acting more stable.. another attempt at posting diagram of Nock's breech
    Last edited by fouronesix; 07-12-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Boolit Master

Breach Plug with Tang marked out and ready for cutting.Decided to make a splayed tang rather than the Jukar short straight Tang with the rounded end.

Boolit Master
    Yes both of the designs have faults that lead to a blocked or restricted Chamber.I have previously had success by making the conjunction of the centre hole and the touch hole insert more direct so that when the Powder is loaded it comes into the Coned touch hole insert.My insert will be threaded to take the additional force of this modification,the ignition can be as fast as a percussion Rifle.

Boolit Master

The Tang sawed out,next job to file to shape.
    Last edited by Col4570; 07-13-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Boolit Master

another View.The material for the Breach Plug is Silver Steel and will remain unhardened to retain its tough specs.
    Last edited by Col4570; 07-13-2014 at 11:58 PM.

Boolit Master

Filed to shape.

Boolit Master

Plug and Tang removed,next job to fit barrel to the stock and line up the touch hole and Tang screw.
    Last edited by Col4570; 10-22-2015 at 04:35 PM.

Boolit Master

You have done an amazing job with that.I do reccomend though, that you polish the chamber. It kinda looks large for a nock, and cleaning jags will stick.I plan on cutting off the plug on mine, and hand tapping the threads. I am interested in where you put your liner. My thoughts are on mine to use the measurements from the original, and move them up for the breechplug. The original barrel is 33.5" so, removing the end 1/2" or so, with the 1" extra on the plug I am looking at, it will be close to the original length.Good clean work on that rifle barrel. I bet it is a winner once stocked.

Boolit Master
    Yes,measure where the original touch hole is then cut the breach off forwards of this allowing for sufficient metal at the plug shoulder to fit a touch hole liner.My barrel is 33 7/16" so all measurements are related to that.I have in the past made plugs to these specs with success.Yes I will polish the breach internaly.The liner position will be marked off when the Barrel is fitted to the Stock.The Breach plug has a taper followed by a straight drilling to the depth where the touch hole will join the centre hole.The taper acts as a tundish and directs the powder into the breach drilling.The touch hole liner will be stainless Steel and be coned internaly so that there is a small distance for the flame.

Boolit Master

I am wondering, if it might be possible to remove the powder drum, then drill and tap the other side, plugging the original hole.Might this make it too weak under a charge?Just a query.

Boolit Master
    It's commonly done when connecting a nipple flash hole or flinter touch hole w/liner to a larger seat where the smaller flash/touch hole is drilled from the opposite side. It is then D&T'd, plugged with a screw and filed to barrel surface or left as a slot head (or hex) screw and called a "clean out". Even many drums have a D&T'd "clean out" on the end. I'd say plenty strong if D&T'd correctly- after all, a nipple seat, drum seat or touch hole with liner was there to begin with. Diagram on right shows this if this is what you are asking about?

The plugged hole if done poorly, would be just as weak as a poorly done nipple seat, drum seat or touch hole liner if there were no "clean out" on the opposite side to begin with. Or the other way to look at it: if the plugged hole is done properly, it would be as strong as a nipple seat, drum seat or touch hole liner in a gun with no "clean out" on the opposite side to begin with.
    Last edited by fouronesix; 07-17-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Boolit Master

The breach Plug fitted and the kit jury rigged for photo purposes.

Docone31,as fouronesix says given the extra metal of the plug it should be quite safe.

Boolit Master

The Stainless Steel Touch Hole Insert fitted.The touch hole is located level with the top of the Lock Pan.

Boolit Master

A clearer view.

Boolit Master

Getting there slowly,it is starting to look the part.The underlugs are not fitted yet.I have slimmed down the Timber,sanded and whiskered once.The Timber is Beech and should take on a good finish and colouring.
    Last edited by Col4570; 08-31-2015 at 10:59 AM.

Boolit Master

Underlugs fited and Barrel pinned to the Stock
    Last edited by Col4570; 09-06-2015 at 04:53 PM.

Thumbs up

Excellent workmanship, Col4570! I stand in awe of your skills.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Maven,I must say that Jukar where quite precise with their measurements making the Job easier than some Kits.The Timber had a Heavy look and it was necessary to reduce it all round to give the Rifle that slim appearance.I have decided not to fit a Patch Box (not supplied)to keep a simple primitive look.