MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 45 long colt favorite load data

Boolit Master
    So with a New Vaquero what power loadings are you able to load to? I have read you can't load to the old model vaquero or the blackhawk levels. Are they any better than the import clones? Or are they only safe for the same lighter loads?

I like loading up 9gr of unique under a 255gr,310gr,or even my 335gr lyman. My blackhawks like them as well as the hotter loads of h110 or Lil gun.

Dale
    Did you ream the throats on both cylinders or just the colt cylinder? I have one of those guns also and havent done mine yet. Did you ream the throats yourself or send them out? Thanks Al
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Quote Originally Posted by warboar_21 View Post
    So with a New Vaquero what power loadings are you able to load to? I have read you can't load to the old model vaquero or the blackhawk levels. Are they any better than the import clones? Or are they only safe for the same lighter loads?

I like loading up 9gr of unique under a 255gr,310gr,or even my 335gr lyman. My blackhawks like them as well as the hotter loads of h110 or Lil gun.
    The NM Vaquero is good to 22,000 - 24,000 psi according to an article by Brian Pearce.

I'm working on a post of some loads I've been working on in my NM Vaquero. Stay tuned.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

What is it with guys who have communist user names?

Cat
    Last edited by Catshooter; 06-04-2014 at 02:55 AM.
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    The NM Vaquero is good to 22,000 - 24,000 psi according to an article by Brian Pearce.

I'm working on a post of some loads I've been working on in my NM Vaquero. Stay tuned.

35W
    Thank you sir. I will be watching for your info.

I started a thread titled "45 Colt and Oddball Powders" here.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

BigAl52;
    As stated in my P.M. to you, I reamed the cylinder throats myself with a reamer kit (complete with pilots) borrowed from a good friend to .4525". In fact, I reamed both of my cylinders as well as the Bisley Vaquero and both of my friends convertibles cylinders. We are ALL very happy campers as a result.

What started out to be less than satisfactory (serious leading and poor accuracy) ended up with our having "custom" cylinder throats, NO leading, and terrific accuracy (under 1" at 25 yards).

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master

I have been a long time 45 Colt fan with Rugers, Uberti reproductions, and various different 45 Colt rifles. Although numerous others have mentioned loads with Unique, I have switched from Unique to Universal Clays. My all around load for all my 45 Colts (except one short barreled Schofield) is 7.5 grains of Universal for both 250 RF and 255 SWC boolits. Over the years I have tried Bullseye, Unique, Red Dot, Tight Group, Trail Boss and black powder. (and probably some others I have forgotten.....) The best all around load I have found is the fore mentioned 7.5 grains of Universal.

As a side note, I have reamed the forcing cones on different revolvers to the Ron Powers recommended 11 degrees. That really seems to improve the Ruger's performance with cast boolits.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Dale
    Thanks for all your info. Mine wont chamber a 45acp with a cast bullet either but will with a jacket 230rn. I think I am going to send mine to Doug and let him ream the cylinders for me as it seems like I have the same condition with mine as you did. I cannot get a 452 bullet to go into the front of the cylinder. As soon as I hear from Doug off they will go. Al
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Vendor Sponsor

PMs exchanged sirs Thanks!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    What is it with guys who have communist user names?

Cat
    Sorry to hear you are so ignorant, Cat, but the initials refer to my business, thanks.

Don

Boolit Master

Sorry USSR, I forgot to put a smilie in my post. I was joking and meant no harm.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    No problem.

Don

Boolit Bub
    I'm glad this thread was resurrected as I just bought a El Patron and a vaquero, both in 45C.

I've been shooting trail boss at 5.8 grains with 210 grain SWC, 230 grain Xtreme plated, and 255 grain lasers. They all work great but I don't have any chrony data yet.

The trail boss is very smokey and makes a mess in a dillon as it's so light your downstroke on powder filling has to be slowed down.

I'm going to try those red dot loads in this thread.

Boolit Mold
    Never die All around fun case to stuff with damn near anything is why this thread was resurrected
    besides some of us don't know everything
    230grn rnl pistol 7.0 unique. Rifle 7.8
    6.6 reddot. 7.5
    7.0 grndot. 7.7
    6.5 hiskor 700x. 7.0
    8.5 alcan7. 9.5
    8.0 sr4756. 8.5
    These were our cowboy loads for 10 years no issues just fun
    250grn fnl. rifle 8.5 hiskor700x.
    255grn Keith 8.7 herco

all the rifle was shot in a win trapper and my ruger blackhawk
    the 230 pistol was for the colts and of course everything else

old alcan powder worked well for me I treated al120 and win ball 450ls like bullseye
    Be careful with that its faster than the rest

In the 1980's my favorite load was a #450229 with the RF nose machined to make a straight cylinder and that loaded backwards to make a HPWC for the Colt Army Model 1909. Used enough Unique to make them hit in the same spot.
    Biggest problem with the '09 is how to work past the chamber dimensions.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of the uberti "P" in .45 LC, and it a real accurate shooter. but if you want to really have fun go for a Schoifeld. I have one .45 and one in .44-40 I love them both. both are accurate and shoot to point of aim.(the .45 is the Russian model) the other is a copy of the smith #2(I think thats right) but any where from 5 to 7 gr's of trail boss will work with either gun. AT my age I shoot 5 to 5.5 gr's of trail boss in them for cowboy shooting! with a 200 gr. RNFN bullet. and yes, I have the rifles for them also.l

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman 454190 over 8 grains Unique.

Boolit Master
    Trail Boss with 230 RN and Ben's Red lube turns heads at the shooting range.You hear guys say you missed after the first shot,Then they find out all the shots are in one hole! I size @ .451 in the ruger works for me.

I have some 700X to turn into smoke so am going to run 5.9 gr of same under my 200 gr LSWC for a plinking load using my Uberti and Ruger Convertible. For more serious work I run 8 gr of Unique under a 255 gr LSWC.

Don't care to pound out my wrists anymore. Hurts!

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast