Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 45 long colt favorite load data

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_4397.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	221674

an old thread but like the 45 LC talking about guns never gets old. I have had a few 45 LC I had all thee barrel length 25-5 smiths when they were new in the 80s being the wise man I am I sold them off. I got the hankering for another smith and picked this 4in 25-5 I had 2 uberti I wish I had kept also. I don't post on here as much as I should, this is a very good forum. I have used 19gr. of H4227 and a 250 Keith for decades. recently I have been using 16gr of 2400 and it dose well. today I am loading some with 8.5 of unique. I also love the 44 sp. but that is for another thread,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Last edited by bowhunter; 06-07-2018 at 05:38 AM.

I've finally found a 45 Colt, a Uberti Frisco, that is really accurate and am having so much fun with it!

I ran across a fellow getting out of the 45 Colt loading business and he sold me 300 pieces of brass and some commercial (MBC) cast bullets. My new favorite powder for target shooting is Red Dot. 6.0 grs. under a 250-260 gr. bullet yields a little over 800 fps, and 6.5 yields about 850, these from a 4 3/4" barrel. Anyhow...I loaded some of the commercial bullets tonight and shot a little before dark:

This load would make a great deer hunting load. Velocity is around 900 fps with that big ol' 290 gr. bullet.

Uberti has really stepped up their game in the last few years and are now making some very accurate, well built revolvers.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

8 Grains of Unique, a WLP and a Lyman 454190 or 452664 is hard to beat.
    To the original poster....Hmmm...you've got the holster but need the gun if I read your post correctly...at any rate, the above prescription has shot inch and a half groups with a 7-1/2" SAA Colt, Smith's M25, and a much loved Ruger NV. It's authoritative, very close to the old cavalry load of 1873, and won't loosen your cartilage over a day's shooting. Good luck with your search. Rod PS: I size all of mine to 0.454" and have no leading problems with 50-50 NRA type lube.

Eh. Scheisse...just checked the date on the OP....

Boolit Grand Master

Rodfac;
    Good to see that you are "still in the hunt"! Green Frog and I made it down to Friendship on Friday, met with some old friends and toured Commercial Row. Then, about over come with the heat, we left in the early afternoon before they had to carry this ol' hoss out on a stretcher!

Say hello to your wife for us!

Dale53

Boolit Buddy
    I have had in the past a COLT SAA that I purchased in 1977, I sold it, have also shot RUGER BLACKHAWK, UBERTI SAA BISLEY , NOW HAVE A UBERTI EL PATRON, and that is my favorite 45 to shoot. It has WOLFF springs, an action job, and shoots awesome. Of all the others that I have had and shot, only the UBERTI BISLEY, is the one I wish I had kept. I will have another of those. I do reload for this EL PATRON, but so far have not developed a favorite load.

Boolit Buddy
    was looking at an interesting bullet from Matts bullets, was a 240 grain 452 inch bullet, would like some but can not find any loading data for that bullet. Any one got any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    After I get my MiHec Cramer style bullet mould for the RCBS 45-270-SAA bullet (I should have it in hand in a couple of weeks) THAT will become my general purpose bullet.

Dale53
    Got a Mihec 45-270-SAA in a group buy must be at least 10 years ago. I cast others too but the 45-270-SAA is my go to and I've cast 3 times as many of those. Over 8.5 - 9.5 grains of Unique or Universal It's general purpose perfection.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234