Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45acp low smoke powder?

45acp low smoke powder?

Any tips for some low smoke powder for 45acp? Win 231 and WSF are great for j-words but are too smokey for my tastes, and I am sure the guy on the line next to me as well.

Is this mainly a powder or lube issue, or perhaps a bit of both?

Boolit Master
    It's a lube issue!

I've used 452-AA, the forerunner of WST, and 473-AA the forerunner of WSF and, as long as I did not use an alox based lube, smoke was a non issue.

I've used Lithi bee, several of the Angel lubes speed green and Carnuba Red all of these make very minimal smoke with 452AA can't say for sure about 231 I've never used it.

Will suggest trying several different lubes and make sure the boolit fits the bore and you should hit a combo that works for you.

Im still new to casting, but i bet its the lube. I have a lyman 450 with an odd random mixtrue of lubes that works well but has about 1/4 alox in it. I have to wait a bit after my last round before i can sight in the target again when I go to the indoor range. Outdoors its never been an isue. But once had someone ask if i was useing black powder. Once thats gone im hopeing a batch of Modified Barry Darr lube Ive already made will do far better.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I preferred faster burnng powder than WSF in the 45ACP. WST was a newer powder than 231, and cleaner. I shot mostly 700x when shooting PPC and IPSC. Later, I noticed the "low recoil" powders seemed cleaner, and definitely made less recoil. I'm speaking of Solo 1000 and Hogdon Clays specifically.

As others have already commented, you smoke is more of a function of your lube.

Boolit Grand Master
    The Alliant Bullseye Alox lube combo is dirty and smokey as heck. The accuracy speaks for itself though.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Lube has a lot to do with it and certain powders the burn hotter can make issues worse. For example, I've used tight group with my current lube and I had more smoke than if I used universal.

The bad news is that Solo 1000 and Sole 1250 have recently been discontinued. Pity, that.

A seldom-mentioned powder that is EXTREMELY clean-burning with little to no smoke is Alliant's American Select. It fits between Red and Green Dots in burn rate, measures very well and is highly consistent in every handgun round I've tried.

Most smoke when using cast bullets, however, is from the lube.

Boolit Grand Master

I have less smoke when using my current bullet lube (Lars White Label Carnauba Red). The cleanest powder I have used is Hodgdon's Clays. This is a fast burning powder that takes up little space in the case, so you DO have to be careful. It meters well, takes little, and burns extremely clean. The combination of Carnauba Red bullet lube and Clays in the .45 ACP shoots extremely well, burns clean and reduces smoke.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Grand Master

I go with Dale53 on Clays being ultra clean burning. I need to try some Carnuba Red if
    it doesn't need a heater. Of course it will be about another 15 years before I use up the
    lube that I have in stock!

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

I am actually working on this very thing next week. I will be up at a friends property in NC and I have my test batches already made.

BAC - Clays
    BAC - WST

C Red - Clays
    C Red - WST

Dardas Blue - Clays
    Dardas Blue - WST

I am wanting to find my lowest smoke round without sacrificing accuracy. I will let ya know when I am done. This is in 40cal for now though, but I would assume it would translate to 45 for the most part.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    Well, now I'm worried I'm not using enough lube.........

I use Xlox/mineral spirts/JPW/, with the Lee TL230, 4.3gr.700X. I really don't notice any smoke to speak of, even while doing a 3sec. 30round Mag.dump. I also shoot outside, but still.....Oh, also get zero to very little leading, once The experts on this forum, solved my leading problems...........

Caspar.....

Zero leading = enough lube. I use Felix lube with carnuba and Titewad powder in the .45 acp. Very clean and very low smoke.
    I went to a get together some years ago where a couple "famous" gun writers experimenters were to be there. My home made lube (everything waxy or oily in the barn) was very smoky and I got teased about it. I was kind of embarrassed but I shot as well or better than most there.
    I am so tight I squeak.It does allow me to practice more.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

+++for WST, I'm using it in many of my auto pistols now(free 6 pounds didn't hurt) I also use alot of PROMO (bargin RedDot) used in .38,.357,.9mm,.40s&w,

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    I go with Dale53 on Clays being ultra clean burning. I need to try some Carnuba Red if
    it doesn't need a heater. Of course it will be about another 15 years before I use up the
    lube that I have in stock!

Bill
    Bill,
    Carnuba Red is a bit stiffer and works better if you have some sort of heat source wether that be an actual heater or a light bulp, hair dryer etc. I find it too stiff to work through a luber unless there is a bit of heat. It's a great lube though.

Banned

.45 ACP
    Felix World Famous Lube
    Hodgdon Universal

Gear

Boolit Master

The Universal is good to hear as I also have 4lbs of it... Maybe I should make a batch of universal to go with my other test batches..
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    It's a lube issue!

I've used 452-AA, the forerunner of WST, and 473-AA the forerunner of WSF and, as long as I did not use an alox based lube, smoke was a non issue.

I've used Lithi bee, several of the Angel lubes speed green and Carnuba Red all of these make very minimal smoke with 452AA can't say for sure about 231 I've never used it.

Will suggest trying several different lubes and make sure the boolit fits the bore and you should hit a combo that works for you.
    Ha, me too. I loved 452-aa in my 45acp, then Win dropped it, then came out w/ WST. It's just as good. With Carnuba or BAC, I get very little smoke. WSF is wha tI like in the 40 & high end 9mm loads, starting to use it in place of Unique in my magnums for midrange stuff.

thanks for the help guys, guess I will try out some new lubes and save the winchester powders for 9mm

Boolit Grand Master

Bill;
    Rob S. is correct. Carnauba Red requires heat for application.

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master

RobS and Dale53,

Thanks. I went out to Lars site and maybe I will try some BAC (Beeswax-Alox-
    Carnuba, I suppose). May never get to it. I have a lot already in stock.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast