Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: what's your "stash" weigh......

Boolit Buddy
    jeez guys......maybe this explains why the earth has a wobble in its rotation....all us casters/hoarders concentrated in the USA or at least north america.....something else that can be blamed upon the US.....

Boolit Master

I have no idea of what that pile of 1# ingots and 2.5# muffins weigh. They are stacked in nice pile against the wall in the garage of my ex.

The pile is about 4 feet high, 3 and a half feet wide and 2 feet deep. This is all smelted ww's, both clip on and stick on's. I have been using this alloy for years and I have no problems filling out the little grooves and such in my boolits and they work well enough for me.

I have not been gathering any ww's recently but I feel that I must start again. My pile has shrunk some in the last few years and this rate it will be gone in about 5 years. So as I am an old geezer at this point I need to gather while I am able to pickup and transport my findings and smelt them while my health remains.

Seriously I have not smelted any ww's since 2007 and I have moved the pile 3 times since then. It was not fun. I did not have enuf containers to hold those treasures and I had to hand stack the pile inside the transport vehicle and then unstack and restack at the destination. Talk about tired.

I have a 5'x8' enclosed trailer with one axle. I could only stack about 20 gallons of ingots on each side of the trailer near the center and over the axle. I was afraid to overload it and cause damage to it. Another 30 gallons went into the bed of my F-150 that was pulling the trailer. As I recall it took 4 or 5 trips to get it all and I had to do this 3 times. This is why my pile is at the garage of my ex.

We get along great as friends but not so good as a married couple. I am generous to her and she is also there for me whenever I need her. We just cannot live under the same roof together at this time. Maybe we will both mellow out some more........

In either case as I do intend to continue shooting and reloading and casting then I will need to get off my butt and go out and generate some more ww's to continue on into the future.

The prospects of being able to obtain inexpensive ww's in the foreseeable future are uncertain and what I gather in the next few years may be all that will be available to me until I pass on........so I need to go get some more.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

In Remembrance

• Unprocessed buckets of WW's = 5 buckets, 150 pounds each = 450 pounds
    • Processed WW's in the form of ingots = 1200 pounds
    • Linotype = 600 pounds
    • Pure lead = 1/2 of a 1400 pound sailboat keel = 700 pounds
    • Pure lead in the form of ingots = 200 pounds

Total weight of casting alloys = 3150 pounds

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER