MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: International Lawn Steel shooting

In Remembrance

At lawnsteel yestersay, we took a look at PeeWee's castings. They were a little underfilled at the edges. A little tin solder will fix that right up. Hardness was right where it was supposed to be. He's well on his way.

PeeWee didn't do well at the range. It's not his reloading, it's his shooting, including trigger pull, grip, etc.

I brought by best fried Andy to shoot with us. On Monday, I gave Andy some trigger time with my 38 special contender barrel. Walked him through all the finesse of dealing with this gun. Of course, I won't allow him to touch the sights, they are set perfectly for me. So, he spent the time Monday,. and again yesterday (Wednesday) dealing with aiming in some space not specifically where the targets were. Andy managed to get into both games that he shot in, earlier than PeeWee did. The "new guy" (Andy) did well.

PeeWee delivered (to me) an 8# container of Promo powder, the preferred powder for 38 caliber lawnsteel. I'm in business again. I was down to less than 100 cartridges of Red Dot.

PeeWee is coming by the house this morning, and I'll lend him my 44 caliber sizing die for the Lyman Lubricizer, and a top punch that will work with his castings. I'm also giving him some anhydrous lanolin that I got from Randy Rat ( http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ydrous-Lanolin ) , so that PeeWee can make some spray lube for rifle brass. I have packaged three small film containers with lanolin. One film canister, mixed with two bottles of HEET (RED) dry gas, which is 99% isopropyl alcohol, in a dollar store spray bottle, makes almost a quart of great spray lube, essentially the same as Dillon's great lube. So, thanks for the powder, Keith.

After a full morning of lawnsteel, Andy and I went to Gunarea's land, and did some pig hunting. No animals were injured, but there are tons of them out there.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Ok, I have new glasses. I have been having trouble seeing the line of sight. Everything was fuzzy, also from straining to get my eyes to focus they were watering. I will know wed. if they helped. I was going to go to the range today and chronograph 38 & 44's to get the right powder load but it started to rain and is supposed to rain all day today, cold front coming in so I'll do it after we shoot wed.. I also got an optic aid so I will see if that helps. However, I am still having a great time doing this, it is a great hobby and the people are the best ever, really feel very fortunate to have met all of these guys and they are so helpful and knowledgeable. Thank you "Duke" For the lanolin and the recipe for the case lube, it works great. It smells and works like the dillon lube. We should be smelting soon, it's cooling down and Eddie's back from N.C.
    See you at Range.
    Pee Wee
    Last edited by Pee Wee; 11-09-2014 at 06:23 AM.

In Remembrance

The lanolin comes from Randy Rat ( http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ydrous-Lanolin ) if you need some more. The three 35mm film containers should be enough lanolin for quite a while. For those wondering, I use a 35mm film canister's worth of Randy Rat's lanolin, with TWO of the red bottles of HEET brand (the red bottles are 99% isopropyl alcohol, the yellow bottles are methyl alcohol. Use the isopropyl - red- version) dry gas, in a dollar store quart sized spray bottle. Shake the heck out of it..... Comes out perfect every time for lubing brass cases.

We shot today. We had a bunch of shooters show up, and I offered to sit out for two of the four games (so that some of the shooters who have missed a lot of shooting could get some trigger time in.) I still ended up four lets (nickels) ahead for the day. Well, even better than that..... One of the players passed me a 1937 Indian Head nickel in VERY good condition. I'm guessing it's at least worth $5. So, I won the big prize for the day. I'm always checking my nickels!

The target sets were great fun (it's set completely different every time we play, at the whim of the volunteers who set them up.) today, with many challenging shots. Many of the targets were tucked behind other targets with only a sliver of target actually showing to the line of shooters. Some of the larger animal targets seemed almost super glued to the ground, barely budging, even when hit in the right place with 44 and 45 caliber bullets. Because the bullet velocity is so slow, placement on a target is critical for knocking them down.

The weather was darn near perfect. Like natural air conditioning, under virtually cloudless skies. Any day is a good day to be out shooting. Today was an especially exceptional one. And, I was up 4 lets, plus the Indian Head nickel! Thanks to all who donated to my pile.

I have some load development to do. I am switching from Red Dot (my tried and true powder for 38's) to Promo, also made by Alliant. I know it has a similar burn rate to Red Dot, and is a bit more dense. I've been loading 3.0 grains of Red Dot behind a 160 grain cast 38 caliber bullet, at about 7 hardness. I'm aiming for about 310 feet per second velocity. I'll report back after load development.

For those still on the fence about this game, feel free to contact me. I'd be happy to have some phone conversation. Send me a PM, and I'll get you my telephone number. In the past few weeks, we've had 5 new shooters (never shot lawn steel before) try the game, and all raved about how much fun it was. One of those was my best friend, Andy, who was down for a week (pig hunting, eating and drinking, and lawnsteel, not all in that order) said that the week was a lot more fun than his vacation with his wife four weeks earlier to Myrtle Beach. Yes, it's that much fun!!!

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

Anyone shooting lawnsteel in New England?
    I might be down in Florida in February but might not have free time.

Hello Michael
    There are no Lawnsteel facilities North of the Mason Dixon line. When you come down, make a point of playing some Lawnsteel with us. The range is between Disney world and Daytona beach. Four lane divided highway brings you from all directions. Volusia county gun and hunt club is the location for you to find, they have a website. Give us some notice and all you will need is a butt load of nickles for your first taste. This would furnish a great excuse for us to schedule an extra morning of Lawnsteel play. Make the time! After you come play, tell others what a waste of time it was.
    Roy

Boolit Master

That's awesome thanks man!
    I'll be down in Naples on the 5-8 of February. Not sure how close that is but I'll check a map right now.
    Thanks for the generous offer. I really hope I can make it.

Michael, you are about 4 hours away from Volusia county gun and hunt club. You would take I-75 north to I-4 East then take state rd 44 east about 5 miles to the entrance to the club. Hope you can make it.

In Remembrance

I know Michael. From northeast shooters. He's a heck of a custom knife maker. Michael, you are very welcome to come and shoot if you can make the time. I'll spot the gun and the ammo.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

thanks duke!

might be a tough one for me. i'm down there on a trip i won at work. i don't know if i could convince the wife to let me head a couple hours away to spend the day shooting.
    i think she might go with me just so she could get a chance to shoot me.

i have a bunch of friends up here that love the idea of lawn steel. i think it's time to read the rules a little more and try out a friendly match up here

Michael,
    dont do it, you well be hooked like an addict on drugs. It's horrible you have to learn all kinds of new information, get into doing things that you never thought about before. Then if your like me and get lucky enough to find mentors like I did (see dealers) like Orivell, Roy and Eddie they just keep feeding you and keep you sucked in. Naaaaaaa, just kidding you will enjoy the best shooting you ever did.
    Pee Wee

Boolit Master

peewee
    thats what i'm worried about!!

Man, what a day. I had a great day playing "the game" today. I've got my loads dialed in for now and I'm shooting better than I have since I started playing. However it was unusually cold for us here in cent. Florida and (high 30s) if I could stop shaking to make the shot. We normally shoot 4 games but we shot 3 games today due to how cold it was, oh yea the wind was also blowing so I dont know what the wind chill factor was. So Orville, Eddie and I mined range lead, it finally warmed up and we started peeling of layers of clothes. I had to leave at 3:00 for a Drs. Appt. Eddie and Oriville stayed to finish up. See you at the range
    Pee Wee

In Remembrance

1,000 pounds of range lead today...... YIKES!

I developed and hosted the FREE cast bullets workshop for NorthEast Shooters members for several years, and introduced casting bullets to a LOT of people during those events. I didn't realize how instrumental I might have been to those workshops...... they haven't had one since I developed the cancer and could no longer participate.

So, while PeeWee (Keith) thinks that teaching others the fine art of bullet casting is a new thing, it's actually "old hat"... We're always happy to share our knowledge of the shooting sports with others. Keith has also already asked me to show him the bullet swaging that I do. Happy to share that also.

I did so-so today. Lost a few of the nickels that I accumulated in the past few weeks. However, some of today's payouts were for fouls which occurred when taking risky shots at extremely tough targets. I'm no longer shy about taking those shots. I'm going to try to remember to take photos of the target setups next week. Both a shot from the target area view, and another of what that set up looks like from the shooters positions. It will give people a sense for how dynamic the game is. The third game today was set up by "Evil Roy" and we played the "Sequence Game, Ascending"... Some of the targets were stacked five deep. With lots of collateral opportunities for fouls. One of our regulars brought his son, and he was the "nickel fountain" for the day.

Eddie was amazingly "ON" the mark today, hitting virtually every target he shot at. He did manage to foul a couple of times. We all did. It's Evil Roy's fault! LOL

If you can get away, Michael, we'd be happy to allow you and the Mrs to shoot! At the same time! Just hope she's not a better shot than you are. That would/could be embarrassing.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

BTW, here are the pictures from the FIRST free cast bullet workshop I did for NES:

Workshop Pictures NES workshop 2009

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

i have to say duke that workshop did wonders for all of new england seriously.
    first off all no-one was able to pick up where you left off. which stinks but goes to show you how much work you put into it.
    singe i learned i have taught 2 friends, one of which has "showed" a few friends how it works but they haven't followed up and really learned how on their own.
    its an awesome gift that keeps on giving. if i haven't said it recently, thank you again for teaching me.

back to the game.
    i doubt i'll be able to go. i can say the wife has always proven to be an awesome shot. from the .22 to the 45-70 with hot loads. she shoots it all. just not often enough.

o' boy, it's tuesday, get to go play "the game" tomorrow. Eddie and I had planned on mineing lead yesterday but that did not work out, so we smelted. I had to leave for a Drs. Appt. before we poured into the moulds so I owe Eddie big time for finishing up. I Get to introduce another friend of mine to the game. We partnered up to reload and cast togather. His job does not give him the opportunity to shoot on weds. But due to the thanksgiving holiday he has this wed off and is going with me, I told him all he needs to bring is nickels. He has been dying to come and see what this game is all about that I have been talking about. Hope you all have a happy turkey day. See you at the range
    Pee Wee

In Remembrance

Turkey day report:

In the midst of the tail end of a heavy tropical rainstorm (5+ inches in 24 hours), the die hard LawnSteel shooters showed up at the club Wednesday morning. We found the club (virtually ALL shooting bays) under water. The assistant CRSO declared the club closed, but we kicked it into high gear with Plan B.

Eddie has a full LawnSteel range set up behind his house, and it has awesome drainage. We had a full line, 6 shooters, show up, albeit it late. We managed two games, and then several of us, me included, had to run off for various reasons. Mine was to prepare for massive quantity bread baking for Turkey dinner. PeeWee had a heck of a time getting going. And, most of my shots were on the money (nickels!) I'm way ahead on nickels. Not quite a nickel grubber, but I am perfecting that skill also.

Anyone who finds themselves coming to Florida to vacation, or visit relatives, friends, etc........ let me know, and I'll be happy to introduce you to Lawnsteel, either at my currently soggy club, or at Eddie's range (he's always willing to arrange a no-notice game!)

Michael, there are several successful casters still in the New England area. It's likely that no one shares the passion for sharing the skills like I was. While I did charge for my reloading classes, the cast bullets workshop was always intended to be a free learning experience.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Thanks to my fellow Lawnsteel shooters
    My new gun cave is fully operational now. The first casting run had a few hiccups with me searching for this and that but I managed 435 devastators cast, sized and lubed in just over three hours. Second run was much better having done 634 in two and a half hours. That time included neck size and decap 408, 357 brass while the pot came up to temp. While almost identical to the other setup, moving has a tendency to hide this and that.
    It is true the **** are becoming much better shots and hence much more competitive. They are forcing me into a behavior pattern of a Rat Bastard to maintain my nickel grubber status. Several occasions saw me resorting to the use of my horse killing gun(44). Fortunately I have succeeded in convincing them real men use small caliber. Pee Wee and Duke hate being designated as *** so bad they are bringing others to play and shed their label onto them(sound of the Jeopardy wrong answer buzzer).
    Some of the boys are going to go try NRA Hunter pistol this Sunday. Best of skill to them from me. I soo look forward to hearing how they do at it. Maybe we will all get to read just how well they do. Lawnsteel shooters have done quite well competing at state level Hunter pistol. But I must confess, as a group we were labeled "The Samsula Ruffians". Only one Lawnsteel shooter has asked me for any guidance in preparation to go shoot Hunter pistol silhouette. Now I'm gonna go send him an e-mail with specific loads that netted me a couple of Florida state golds in large caliber iron sight division. I honestly do wish them all to have an admirable shoot.
    Roy

It's the season, so happy holidays to everyone. This past month has been a busy one. Playing "the game" has been a mixed bag. Had good games for the past 3 but last wed, was not that good. So overall I am happy with my shooting. Roy and Oriville continue with advice and support. We have been smelting range lead for the past month. Eddie did two days by himself, so far we have around 1500 lbs. We smelted 7hrs. Yesterday and did 500lbs. We have a pile on the pad and I thought we could get that done yesterday, It looks like we still have a thousand lbs. left to do. Maybe two more days will do it. A man can't have enough lead. The caveiat to all of this range lead is the hulls go to the salvage yard and get .45 cents per pound. Eddie and Oriville took a batch and traded them for more lead. Oriville is a range safty officer at gun club where we shoot lawnsteel at and range 7 is back all by it self. He got the owner to ok the lawnsteel assoc. to put up a shed so we can store our equipment there. So we are looking for an economical priced shed to buy. If you know of or hear about one let us know. Hope everyone gets that new reloading dodad you want for Christmas. Have a happy new year.
    see you at the range.
    pee wee

In Remembrance

Happy holidays to one and all.

We will be celebrating Christmas by having our usual lawn steel shoot on this coming Wednesday, which is Christmas Eve Day. I encourage all of our shooters to wear silly hats, and or ugly sweaters. The last couple of days have been so nice and warm that it might actually be uncomfortable to wear sweaters. But, let's have fun. We are also shooting on Sunday, Dec 28th, and again on New Year's Eve Day. If you are in Florida vacationing for the holidays, come and join us. We'll let you borrow a gun, and supply some ammo for a game or two.

After a long day of smelting (yesterday) with PeeWee (Keith), I went home and took a shower and changed, and went to a Christmas party in South Daytona with some friends. Pot Luck dinner was served OUTSIDE, and I was comfortable with a tee shirt on. It's wonderful to be here, in this part of the world, enjoying weather that allows us to shoot nearly every day of the year.

I plan on shooting this coming Wednesday, the 28th, and December 31st. I'll go kayaking on New Years Day, if anyone wants to join me.

I'm working on getting a Lyman 38 caliber mold on line, so I can capitalize on all that lead we have been processing. Easy Eddie has been doing my casting for me, but he's soon gonna be out of that job.

"I LOVE this game!"

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast