MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: International Lawn Steel shooting

We have made progress. Got our storage shed built today and moved the last of our stuff from the club range so we are on our way to completing our new range. We need to build the two shooting stations
    ( the will be 12x20 feet) and we will be done about 2 to 3 more work parties. will post some images when I get a chance.
    It is called the 3 mile club.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

It is with a heavy heart that my buddy Duke in Florida has been given a couple months to live. He has moved to Massachusetts to live with his sister and be close to his son and daughter. I spoke with him on Saturday and he was in good spirits and sounded good but got message from his daughter yesterday that hospice came in yesterday. She also said that he is on oxygen and morphine drip. He has been fighting multiple myeloma for the 8 years that I have known him. My heart aches for him. He has been a great friend and has taught me a lot about loading, casting and anything gun related. I will miss him but he will always be in my heart.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Where thius new lawn steel range at?
    florida??

Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    Where thius new lawn steel range at?
    florida??
    Yes, Samsula, Florida. Volusia county half way between Orlando and Daytona Bch.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee View Post
    It is with a heavy heart that my buddy Duke in Florida has been given a couple months to live. He has moved to Massachusetts to live with his sister and be close to his son and daughter. I spoke with him on Saturday and he was in good spirits and sounded good but got message from his daughter yesterday that hospice came in yesterday. She also said that he is on oxygen and morphine drip. He has been fighting multiple myeloma for the 8 years that I have known him. My heart aches for him. He has been a great friend and has taught me a lot about loading, casting and anything gun related. I will miss him but he will always be in my heart.
    See my post: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...35#post5215835
    Thank you everyone. He loved ILSA because he loved you guys, and because he loved calling his own shots in life
    Last edited by DukeJr; 06-27-2021 at 07:13 PM.

Orville, Duke, Wilbur. Already I miss you. My memories will never let go of you. Rest, laugh at us and with us.
    Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

I’m a little lost without my buddy Duke. I think about him every day. I miss him. I am fortunate to have met him and be his buddy. He taught me a lot about reloading and casting. We had many discussions about our hobby during our short 8 years of friendship. We spent many hours talking about our sport while traveling to Jacksonville every week and solved many of the worlds problems. The one thing that I was amazed about how he fought this disease and never once said why me. And in the end he accepted the hand he had been dealt and had no regrets and said he had no bucket list. Rest In Peace my friend.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

We are making progress on our shooting structures. We have one close to being done but the weather is not cooperating. We got the frame and 1/4 of the roof done today before the rain put a stop to our work. We are having another work party Saturday and hopefully we can finish the roof on it and get started on the other one.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

We will be shooting at the new ILSA 3 mile range. We have completed the #1 shooting structure.
    2 more work party's and we will have the second structure completed. I will try to post a picture soon.
    The 3 mile range is named as it is three miles from the gate to the driveway to the new range.
    Pee Wee
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Buddy
    Never knew there were so many ways of shooting in the supine position. Now I have to add another one to my list.
    http://www.researchpress.co.uk/index...-back-position

My respects to those who are no longer with us.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	504135E4-8524-43A9-B6DF-8F9F9E72328E.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	286398
    This is the target line. There are 4 rows the first line is 52 yards. The second 55 yards and the third is 58 yards. Fourth is 62 yards. We use open sights revolvers with at least 51/2” barrels. Single shot pistols are mostly Thompson contenders 2nd generation with 10” barrels. We shoot small caliber 38/357
    The revolvers are made up of S&W model 27s, Ruger Blackhawks and Colt pythons. Large caliber is 44 special/magnum, Colt 45. Guns are Ruger Blackhawks and contenders mostly.
    Small caliber bullets have a maximum weight of 160 grain not to exceed 685 FPS large caliber bullets have a maximum weight of 250 grain not to exceed 685 FPS. So just a little info on what and how if you want more details just ask. I love this game.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Here is a video. I’m not good at this so it’s just so you get an idea of the shot calling and a little of the banter that goes on.
    Well I tried several times to get it to load and no go.
    So here is just a picture of the line
    Well that failed also.
    Last edited by Pee Wee; 07-20-2021 at 03:47 PM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

We now have the new ILSA range done. We completed the construction of bay 2 today. We now can shoot 2 lines, 6 people each. I can’t get the picture or video to post. I’ll try again next Tuesday when we shoot again.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Three mile range. Two, 6 slot, shooting lines. Full 12' wide and 22' long covered areas. The rain showed us how well the roof was sealed. Mark likes to paint and has painted everything that could benefit. Nice portrait on the storage building. The insulation qualities of the roofing has given such good shade that fans have not yet been needed to combat the dog days heat here in Florida.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SUNP0022.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	225.9 KB 
ID:	287514
    The weather resistance and private situation has allowed us the convenience of leaving chairs and tables out on the line, rather than put away after use. Still room for expansion as we were nearly at capacity after less than being open for use, a month. We built it and they are coming! It has been a while since Lawnsteel had such a comfortable setting. A handful of Lawnsteel shooters got a lesson in marksmenship yesterday when handed a firearm they had never shot, to play a game. Come play Lawnsteel and learn how to really be, a good shot!
    Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Well we have been running 2 shooting lines since august. We have 17 members and more coming.
    It is a joy to be shooting at our new range. We are having our first unofficial tournament on Saturday the 30th so members can get the jest of tournament play. We will be shooting 3 games and shooting small caliber revolver only. Should be interesting and fun. I’ll give an update after with results and what went on.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Quote Originally Posted by gunarea View Post
    Three mile range. Two, 6 slot, shooting lines. Full 12' wide and 22' long covered areas. The rain showed us how well the roof was sealed. Mark likes to paint and has painted everything that could benefit. Nice portrait on the storage building. The insulation qualities of the roofing has given such good shade that fans have not yet been needed to combat the dog days heat here in Florida.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SUNP0022.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	225.9 KB 
ID:	287514
    The weather resistance and private situation has allowed us the convenience of leaving chairs and tables out on the line, rather than put away after use. Still room for expansion as we were nearly at capacity after less than being open for use, a month. We built it and they are coming! It has been a while since Lawnsteel had such a comfortable setting. A handful of Lawnsteel shooters got a lesson in marksmenship yesterday when handed a firearm they had never shot, to play a game. Come play Lawnsteel and learn how to really be, a good shot!
    Roy
    Good picture Roy, I could only get the target line to post
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

We had the first official match. Our youngest member (in his 40s) Tallan won and Randy was 2nd. A good time was had by all. With the new Range several of the old members have returned. We now have 20 members. We shoot every Tuesday and the second and fourth Saturday every month. We generally have 10 to 12 shooters. I love this new range, we shoot east to west so the sun is always on the targets which makes them highly visible.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

It’s been a while since I have posted here.
    We are really enjoying having our own range we regularly have 10 to 12 shooters every Tuesday and the 2nd and 4 th Saturday of the month. We had our second tournament 2 weeks ago and it is a poker run format. So every time you got a animal shoot and made it you get a card. At the end of a flight which is 2 games who ever has the best hand wins and the second best hand wins. Then we play a second flight and again who ever has the best hand and second best hand wins. But the winners from the first flight can’t win in the second flight. Since there are 5 Saturdays in this month we are having another tournament and because everyone liked the poker run format we are doing it again.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

I would like to talk about the guns that we shoot in lawn steel. A brief history on lawnsteel shooting and then you will understand why only certain guns are preferred. We sit in reclined lawn chairs and rest the guns on or knee or between our knees. Only open sights are permitted, 850 fps is max velocity and in small caliber up to 38 caliber is allowed, 250 in large caliber. The first row of targets are set at 52 yards we have 4 rows of targets so the back targets are around 70 yards. So now you need a good target gun
    Gun are limited to production models. 10 “ maximum barrel length ( except open class) more on this later. The single shot gun of choice is a Thompson contender. Revolver is another story. Several different manufacturers are popular with us Ruger black hawks, Smith and Wesson model 27 and Colt pythons are used. However there is a couple of new guns that a couple of the guys have purchased to use and those are Taurus raging bull and raging hunter. Mark shoots a raging bull and Randy just switched from a Ruger Blackhawk to the raging hunter and he really likes it. He is also shooting much better with it. The Ruger had a 5” barrel and the hunter has a 8 3/8” barrel. Now some of you may be thinking about semi auto pistols and they would work, I can tell you from personal experience they don’t. Barrels are to short and they are not accurate enough at the low ffs velocity’s that we shoot at. So just a brief on the guns of choice that we use.

We do have an open class and you can shoot a gun with a barrel length over 10”. But only a couple guys have a Ruger Blackhawk or RedHawk that has longer barrels.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Sounds like fun. How many rounds do you shoot at a match? Reminds me of the silhouette chickens I used to shoot at an indoor range. 5 chickens x 10 relays=50 .22s shot at 25 yds using irons, offhand. That was fun too.

Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast