Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Checkmaker Question

Boolit Buddy

Checkmaker Question

When you put the cut disks into the die do you put the sharp edge up or down?

A- Sharp edge up will put the sharp edge on the inside of the check and will make the check hold onto the boolit shank better.

B- Sharp edge down will put the sharp edge on the outside of the check and will make the check easier to seat on the boolit.

C- It does not matter.

Boolit Master
    A , but I think it don't help all that much.

I like B.
    Mugs
    IHMSA 5940L
    Shoot only Cast Bullets!

Boolit Master
    A works a little better for me.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mugs is worth listening to.......you should see the groups that he is shooting........very impressive !

Ben

Banned
    How you put those checks on aren't going to make a hoot of difference in groups. I've tried my own made checks both ways, in-addition to factory checks, and still not much difference in groups. I also shoot very good groups and many of the are at HV which puts even more stress on the gas check. Now it makes sense that the sharp edge on the inside will make the bullet harder to seat and theoretically grip the bullet better, but some will tell you with it on the outside it will scrape the bore better. Another thing not mentioned is that the dies can be made to give a tapered cup like Hornady and they will be easier to get on either way. I've found that my checks stay on the bullets more often then not and those I found with them traveled through a 1 inch target back and into very hard compact dirt. I'm satisfied with their performance. If some fly off and some don't I'm not seeing fliers that are showing that. With the number of recovered bullets I'm thinking a high, a very high, percentage of my checks are staying on the bullet all the way to the target and then some. In ending I say try them both ways and see which you prefer and which perform better.