Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Challenger moulds

Boolit Grand Master

Challenger moulds

I was searching for a mould for someone else at Dixiegunworks when I stumbled on these challenger moulds on clearance. They don't show a picture of the cavities but the moulds are on clearance for $10 or 3 for $20. They all are 58 caliber HB except one. They are aluminum w/ handles and come to mind of the old ideal moulds with permanent handles. Has anyone tried these? I thought what the heck for $10 a couple might be worth a shot.
    Aim small, miss small!

I borrowed one a while back and the boolits were suitable, but the handles WILL break in short order. They're like a LEE mold with very light duty handles. The handles can be replaced with a little work, my advice is replace them when you get the mold. Other than that, yeah they're worth it if you need a large size .58 and don't plan on using them much. Hey, 3 for $20.00...
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

If they are like Lee molds they are excellent. I've cast tens of thousands of projectiles with Lee molds without a single issue.

In Remembrance

Years ago I had a Challenger mold for my .54 in a minie ball h.b. design. It worked fine and went with the rifle.Robert

Super Moderator

..............These are from a Challanger mould I have. Closeup of the Challanger Minie'. The company is out of business. The mould looks suspiciously like a Raphine. Weight is 530 grs. I need to make a smaller core plug for a fatther skirt as I believe these would be good at 200 meters too. Look at that bearing surface! The bullet is tapered .580" at the base to .582" on the top band. Thanks for the notice of the deal at Dixie. I just ordered 3 more moulds!

..............Buckshot
    Last edited by Buckshot; 05-12-2010 at 02:52 AM.
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

Dang it!

Now I'm going to hafta order 3 moulds and then buy another gun to shoot them in...
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Dang it!

Now I'm going to hafta order 3 moulds and then buy another gun to shoot them in...
    I fail to see a problem with your logic.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I ordered 3 of there molds and was to late. I got one of the 3. I called them because I had gotten 3 emails from them. The one I did get was the CHALLENGER MOULD: WC 580/600. And that was for 6.66 bucks. Any recommendations of a gun to shoot these in.
    Last edited by garbear; 05-22-2010 at 11:16 PM.
    Garbear

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by oldhickory View Post
    I fail to see a problem with your logic.

Now that is funny!

Anyway, I have had a Challenger 580315 from DGW for several years now.
    I could be all wet about this, but if I am not mistaken, I paid something like $60 for it years ago....I do remember it was quite a bit more than a SC Lyman at that time.
    In fact, I'd almost swear that is what I paid sometime back in the mid 80's.

Russ
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

Boolit Buddy
    I just ordered 3 today, and they said all three would be shipped, a .580-.582- and a .585, all 600grs, George.
    NRA Life Member
    USMC Life Member

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by garbear View Post
    I ordered 3 of there molds and was to late. I got one of the 3. I called them because I had gotten 3 emails from them. The one I did get was the CHALLENGER MOULD: WC 580/600. And that was for 6.66 bucks. Any recommendations of a gun to shoot these in.
    ...............For a 600gr slug in a 58 cal you're going to want a 48": twist for any accuracy at all.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ...............For a 600gr slug in a 58 cal you're going to want a 48": twist for any accuracy at all.

...............Buckshot
    Maybe not...Depending on the design and length of the boolit. He may get good accuracy out of a 1:72-1:78 twist barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    Both of my 58 Rifles are 1-48" twist, Renegade and 58 Big Boar, both measure .580 bore and .585 groove dia, my three molds were shipped on UPS this mourning from Dixi, 3 molds for $20.00, you cant beat that, George.
    NRA Life Member
    USMC Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Just received my 3 molds, 58 cal, .580 .582 and .585, i think 3 molds for $20.00 is hard to beat, the blocks line up good, i have heard that the handles are the weak point, for $20.00 i can live with that, these 3 Challenger molds are identicle to 2 molds i bought in the late 70,s made by SHILOH MOLDS, same box and instructions, the Shiloh molds have worked great for many yrs, i think these will to, George.
    Last edited by George Tucker; 06-08-2010 at 09:27 PM.
    NRA Life Member
    USMC Life Member

Anyone have a catalog copy from Challenger?

Boolit Buddy

They work very well in Rifle Musket barrels with slow twist and shallow grooves. I paid more than $60 each for mine 10 years ago

Picked up a fifty minie that I think is Challenger, about 340 grains.
    Very nice mold. Should work well with light charges.