MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Powder Cross Reference

Thanks for putting up the chart I tried several methods but had no Luck.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

I will offer a suggestion, a procedure I follow, I use equivalent surplus powders to fire form brass and break in barrels, to save on burning my best powders and bullets. Say B is = to X, I use starting load for X less 2 grains for the start for B, plus a lighter, pulled bullet. Then work up as I go forward. With the current component market, having a cheaper alternative works well for me.

I am actually an old member returned after a long absence, bought a farm, built a barn, shop and new house, ponds, etc., so have been engaged in other things for my family.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

I know the original post in this thread states identical powders but unless I am dense there are some glaring discrepancies.
    Rp15=RL22
    RP15=N203b
    N203b= RL15
    MRP=rl22
    Am I wrong or just dense?
    The way I read it
    RP11=N203b not RP15
    Not trying to be difficult but the numbers seem not to match up when you read fully through the OP listing.

Boolit Buddy
    As Alliant American Select is not included in QuickLoad software, I found that Accurate Solo 1250 in quickload gives me the EXACT (+/- 10fps) velocity that AmSel gives me in real life (per my chronograph) and thats both pistols and carbines in 38spl. While its not the same powder, the results are the same.

I find all this fascinating. I will copy the Op's list but I'll have to say all this notion of 'Same As' doesn't eliminate the need to start low and work up. I well remember a time - years ago - when I got a lot of 2400 that was way too hot. Loads I had been using before that were fine turned out to be too hot. There were sticking cases, flattened primers where there were none of those with an earlier lot of the same powder. Either the lot was off spec or the container was mis-labeled. I wrote to a prominent gun writer at the time about this. He wrote back saying it could happen but he didn't want to pursue it. This was about 40 years ago.

Jim

Boolit Master
    Hp38 and win231 or the exact same powder, the come from the exact same vat. The only difference is the label on the jug and are 100% interchangeable. This is a quote from Hodgen as told to me buy a senior technician from Hodgdon.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Mold
    Does anyone know if the Accurate TCM could be used safely for 9mm Luger 124 grn loads? Also what powder if any is it close to. Thanks

Boolit Buddy

Wiljen: That is a nice cross reference chart you put up for some powders. I have been wondering about M1 30 caliber carbine powder. Bought 80 lbs of WW680 surplus ball powder a few years back for $3/ pound. I use 12.5 grs of it in my 22 Hornet. It produces dime size groups out of my Ruger No.1 Varmint rifle. It also works with 300 gr cast bullets @ 17.5grs in my 44 Mag. I will probably never use it up at this rate. The Speer Reloading book lists other applications for this WW680 propellant. But the McPhearson Metallic Cartridge book lists A1680 powder loads. Is WW680 and A1680 the same powder? Maybe there is a knowledgeable propellant expert somewhere that might know!

Moderator Emeritus

I understand the 1680 and 680 have interchangeable start data but no idea if they are the same powder. I understand that Ramshot Silhuette is the same powder that was Winchester Action Pistol.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234