Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: Citric acid brass cleaner

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    Soaking brass in 1 part lemon juice to 2 parts water increases neck tension due to the increased coefficient of friction, especially on new Starline brass.
    I quit using lemi shine after I started using lemon juice. It's much less picky as far as how much or how little you use. Two cap fulls does a great job.

Dear Sagacious; I too use Citric Acid + drop of Dawn, however I left a batch of brass in the 'soup' for 1.5 days & brass finish was permanently 'damaged'; didn't have the patience to do a 'load eval'. They jes looked terrible. I can send a pic if yu like.

Wally
    Been loading 6.5 CM for ELD, learning to load Mosin Nagant & .308/7.62x51
    Caster & CWW / Lead miner.
    Mountain Mold 45-70-405, 80% Meplat, sized .461" dia. for Marlin 1895GS
    Lyman mold #429421 "Elmer Keith" style 255gr, Dbl Cavity; [for .44 Mag, S&W 629, Alox lubed]
    Lyman #356402, 9mm, Sngl Cavity [for a friend]
    LEE #90282, 12ga Drive Key, 7/8oz Slug [for: Son's 3-Gun]
    LEE #90349, 452-255RF, 6 Cavity [for 45 Colt & 45 ACP; Alox lubed]
    LEE #90697, 453-200RF, ditto

Boolit Master

Don’t try to save used solution

Trying not to be wasteful I tried to continue using the same batch of citric acid solution for several days. I knew I would have many small groups of brass in various states of preparation and different calibers/cartridges. It turns out that the solution doesn’t keep well. It grew at least three different kinds of laboratory experiments. There was clear slimy growth, green/white mold and some bright orange stuff. I hadn’t seen anything like that since deliberately growing molds in high school biology class.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    I didn't know that would harm the brass?

Quote Originally Posted by Walstr View Post
    Dear Sagacious; I too use Citric Acid + drop of Dawn, however I left a batch of brass in the 'soup' for 1.5 days & brass finish was permanently 'damaged'; didn't have the patience to do a 'load eval'. They jes looked terrible. I can send a pic if yu like.

Wally
    Gets a bit pink, or rose colored. Supposedly it's the zinc leaching out of the brass.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by RKJ View Post
    Good old koolaid (or any of the cheap varieties) work well too, not as fast as shown on the 50 bmg shell but works good overnight. I get it for .10 a pack, but I may have to look for citric acid now.
    When I was in the Navy we used to use "Bug Juice" which is civilian Kool Aid, to clean the deck plates in the engine rooms and the auxiliary spaces. Worked just fine.
    Qui tacet consentire videtur

Retired Navy (1966-2004)
    NRA Life member (1994)
    CRPA member
    SBR&GC member

Boolit Bub
    Still some LHD's that are steam powered as well as diesel MCM's, LSD's and LPD's.
    Qui tacet consentire videtur

Retired Navy (1966-2004)
    NRA Life member (1994)
    CRPA member
    SBR&GC member

Boolit Buddy
    I have had FAIR results with Citric Acid cleaner on Smokeless brass. but poor results on Black Powder residue removal. I am using two tablespoons per Qt. in almost boiling water and leaving the brass in there for about three minutes then I fresh wash it completely. I then have to tumble it in Corn media and the inside is still crusted. What am I doing wrong?

Boolit Master
    Good Post! I have to agree...it works a treat! Like Brassmonkey said: it needs a little watching, and a bit'll do ya!
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Boolit Master
    Does cleaning with citric acid do away with the need to tumble?

Sorry I haven't gone through all 47 pages of this thread but I'm wondering.....

Quote Originally Posted by jednorris View Post
    I have had FAIR results with Citric Acid cleaner on Smokeless brass. but poor results on Black Powder residue removal. I am using two tablespoons per Qt. in almost boiling water and leaving the brass in there for about three minutes then I fresh wash it completely. I then have to tumble it in Corn media and the inside is still crusted. What am I doing wrong?
    I use 2 teaspoons of the FA brass cleaner per pint of water and drop my fired cases in the jug after at the range. It seems to get the BP fouling out quicker with this presoak. Then I wet tumble. If you don’t wet tumble, you need to brush out the cases while still wet, then rinse.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post

If you don't feel the need for shiny brass, then no tumbling needed. If you like shiny, then tumble for a short time after citric acid cleaning.
    God Bless, Whisler

I have been using this lately with great success. 1/4 cup or so with a pinch of Lemmishine!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7199WlBE8EL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	309497

In the UK we have a product called Cilitbang. I’m sure your have an equivalent….it’s a general bathroom/ kitchen cleaner and no big deal. It shines brass instantly but I add hot water and liquid soap to control it.

I am dealing with an issue currently

I put in about 200 30-30 brass that was fairly clean, 1F, and dull colored, into my Lyman liquid tumbler, with 1 tsp citric acid + 1 tsp Nu Finish + 1/2 tsp dawn + hot water to cover by half, tumbled for a couple hours

now I have this BLACK GOO on EVERYTHING

it washes off my hands OK, but ALL the cases are BLACK like soot

So.... in the machine again, this time with more dawn, more CA, and no NF. SAME BLACK GOO on everything. stuck my hand in during the rinse, and my fingers came out totally BLACK

So.... in the machine again, this time with MORE dawn, MORE CA, and MORE NF.... set for 2 hours.... Ima hitting the sack. will check tomo!

anyone have an idea where that black goo is coming from? it is literally acting like soot, and the water is not black like it usually is.
    Not enough soap?
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    I am dealing with an issue currently

I put in about 200 30-30 brass that was fairly clean, 1F, and dull colored, into my Lyman liquid tumbler, with 1 tsp citric acid + 1 tsp Nu Finish + 1/2 tsp dawn + hot water to cover by half, tumbled for a couple hours

now I have this BLACK GOO on EVERYTHING

it washes off my hands OK, but ALL the cases are BLACK like soot

So.... in the machine again, this time with more dawn, more CA, and no NF. SAME BLACK GOO on everything. stuck my hand in during the rinse, and my fingers came out totally BLACK

So.... in the machine again, this time with MORE dawn, MORE CA, and MORE NF.... set for 2 hours.... Ima hitting the sack. will check tomo!

anyone have an idea where that black goo is coming from? it is literally acting like soot, and the water is not black like it usually is.
    Not enough soap?
    I'm not a chemist but I'd have to question what chemical reaction is taking place with all that stuff.

I use an ultrasonic cleaner with the citric acid. Only citric acid. I don't have any problems and all my cases come out clean, including primer pockets. They're not mirror shinny, but who is gonna see 'em?

Quote Originally Posted by billmc2 View Post
    I'm not a chemist but I'd have to question what chemical reaction is taking place with all that stuff.

I use an ultrasonic cleaner with the citric acid. Only citric acid. I don't have any problems and all my cases come out clean, including primer pockets. They're not mirror shinny, but who is gonna see 'em?
    I use the FART with FA juice in the described quantity with no stainless pins. Brass comes out after an hour looking excellent. I recommend you try that.

The citric acid powder is mixed 2 teaspoons to a quart of water, plus 2 drops of Dawn. Tap water, not hot. Fully cleaned in 30 minutes.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post

Great question.
    the answer is, maybe.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I don’t tumble brass. I size and decap with a carbide die, then wash with lemon juice+water+dawn, let dry for 24 hours, then reload.
    I only shoot pistols and I don’t compete. YMMV

Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748 LastLast