WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lube stick molds - my version

Boolit Master

Oughta make this a sticky, for easy reference.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

lube

Our forum already has a lube recipe and making it as a sticky.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    Our forum already has a lube recipe and making it as a sticky.
    Where did this thread become a making lube? This has to do with ways of making lube sticks not recipes.

Boolit Master
    My thought exactly!

CDOC

In Remembrance
    This would definitely be appropriate for a sticky, and for the following reasons:

1. A lot of casters use lubesizers that utilize hollow sticks. And I, for one, just can't warm up to the "melting lube and pouring it in my reservoir" method. I've tried it twice and made a huge mess. I make a big enough mess just MAKING the lube. . .

2. Making your own lube is kind of a natural progression in casting. Granted, a lot of us move on to buying from White Label (Glenn), but it's often an itch that needs scratching for a lot of folks who get into boolit-casting.

And when you have a lubesizer, you need sticks of lube.

3. Much like the lube-recipe thread, variations and improvements and new ideas could be added to this thread. As industrious and talented as our membership is, there is no telling what kind of cool ways to make lubesticks might emerge here.

Just my dos pesos.

Boolit Master

Well said Recluse

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    ALL IN FAVOR OF A STICKY post now.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Sounds good to me, maybe a supplementary page with skills threads.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Yep need a sticky!

Keep em coming!

CDOC

I have already copied his method of making lube stick molds and it works like a charm. I managed to find the caps flat rather than semi rounded so it was easier to affix 'em to de boad. But a sticky might bring out some improvements, who knows?
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbob View Post
    I have already copied his method of making lube stick molds and it works like a charm. I managed to find the caps flat rather than semi rounded so it was easier to affix 'em to de boad. But a sticky might bring out some improvements, who knows?
    You just posted the perfect example.
    Where'd you find the flat caps at? Might be helpful to someone like me, who tries to stay out of hardware and lumberyard stores.

Boolit Buddy
    Please make this a STICKY !!!

Boolit Master

+1 for making this a stiky !!

I`ve never seen flat end caps either ???

Making a stick mould is really the only thing keeping me from scratching the itch.

That`s my story & stikin to it .
    GP100man

Quote Originally Posted by 41 mag fan View Post
    You just posted the perfect example.
    Where'd you find the flat caps at? Might be helpful to someone like me, who tries to stay out of hardware and lumberyard stores.
    I found 'em at the True Value Hardware store here in central Virginia. They made the project a real snap! I took a sander and sanded the pipe molds down on each end so they come apart easily.
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbob View Post
    I found 'em at the True Value Hardware store here in central Virginia. They made the project a real snap! I took a sander and sanded the pipe molds down on each end so they come apart easily.
    I'll have to look at the hardware store down the road from me, it's a True Value, and see if they have the flat caps.

That's a good idea sanding down the ends to make the pipe sticks come apart easier.

Thanks mods for making this a sticky.

Boolit Master
    I read this thread with a lot of interest as I was just starting to get the idea to mix my own lubes. Well, using the OP's info, off to the hardware store I went. I have started building my lube molds as per the OP's excellent pics & instructions.
    HOWEVER, due to reading about flat caps etc, I decided I wanted to have the caps flat & not have to drill the wood base & epoxy the bases.
    So,,, here's what I did;

I have a small belt/disc sander. Using the disc, and the guide to keep things square, I placed the caps I was going to use squarely up against the disc. I ground a "flat" on the top of the cap. It then sits nicely on the board. I ground them down just to where I could see a small spot in the centerwhen pressed with my finger. It made drilling the hole in the center for mounting easy. Just my method of mounting them and not drilling & epoxying the bases.

Boolit Master

For those like me, who haven't got much storage room for a jig....I got an idea.
    Instead of building a jig, where your caps are screwed into a board, make your jig rods long enough to fit into something like a small piece of 4x4 or even on a section of bench itself, where they will stand upright.

The holes will have to be drilled exact and kind of tight to hold the jigs upright. This way, when they've solidified enough, pull the pvc jigs out of the holes holding them upright, and pop them in the fridge/freezer, or let them fully harden where they are.

But someone like me, who loves the overkill, I can almost make this an assembly line process.
    Plus when I'm done I don't have a jig on a board to put up. I can put these in a small box and store much easier.

Boolit Master

I finally made my own lube a few weeks ago and have considered making lube molds from this thread. So far i have had to pour hot lube 3 times to refill my 450. Pouring hot lube hasnt been a problem but dropping in a new stick would be faster. I will say this, I wont be buying lube when I can make my own and I like mine better than everything I 've used in 35 years of handloading. Frank

Boolit Master
    I copied the design from post #1 and it worked like a charm. Thanks, that makes my life a little easier.

I copied the plans somewhat in that I need solid sticks for my Star that's in transit to me. I have about 24 hollow sticks that I going to melt down into solid ones as soon as I find some flat caps also, got the 1" PVC cup up and will be sanding them soon. Thanks for the idea, it's great.
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast