Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got a good 8x56mm deal.

I've kinda put off getting one of these because of the ammo is a little scarce. I'm kinda looking more interested now.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Quote Originally Posted by roverboy View Post
    I've kinda put off getting one of these because of the ammo is a little scarce.
    Didn't stop me buying and shooting a Carcano!
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Oh I would buy a good Carcano if I could find a decent one at a good price. I like'm in 6.5x52. I've found several Model 38 carbines in 7.35 but they've all been "sportered".
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Super Moderator

..............ALL components for the 8x56R is available from Graf & Son, as is ammo loaded by Hornady. Lee makes dies. Its no harder to load/reload then any other cartridge these days.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

I had one I was going to reload for but after looking at the cost of boxer brass and the hassle of it all I went to a Ross Rifle in .303.
    I reload for it anway's so it wasn't a big transition.

Banned
    Buckshot,

So I don't look foolish and we all think my chronograph was wrong, this is the military ammo specs:

8x56R Hungarian Cartridge - German Surplus

Bullet Type 209gr FMJ Spitz. (.329) Case - VIII / 19 / 38 / Nazi Eagle Brass - 2.190 Trim Primer Berdan Cartridge Overall Length 3.003 Inches

Powder Charge (gr) MV (ft/s) Std Dev (ft/s) ME (ft-lbs) Comments 0.0gr 2631 35.3 3213 None

That's from here:
    http://members.nuvox.net/~on.melchar/8x56r/surp.html

I've done some researching and indeed lots of other shooters, we're talking jacketed with various bullets, that is the Graf's correct bullets and 338 sized down (like I did) indeed are getting higher velocities they you quoted. I got my reloading record manual out and looked up what I did. I did record the Hornady loads I told you I worked up and they were indeed just slightly lower then the milsurp stuff at 2600 fps. Unfortunately I didn't record the milsurp velocities. At this point I'll say my chronograph was correct and no malfunctioning. It also could have been my lot of milsurp was particulary hot for some reason.

Super Moderator

.................I've shot a ton of that stuff as at the time I bought my first M95 from Century they that ammo cheap. I've chrono'd a few groups and they all hovered around 2300 fps, and I'd suspect that would be about the design ballistics for the cartridge. I've only hand disassembled a couple of the rounds, and they were out of the same box. As I recall the bullets scaled 203 grains and were FMJ spitzer boattails of very modern design.

All I'm suggesting is that 2700 fps for a 200 gr slug from the 19.5" barrel of a M95 is without a doubt producing pressures well beyond what anyone would suggest for that rifle or cartridge. Saami doesn't list the 8x56R and I don't know if it has European CIP specs, however check data listed for most any full power military cartridge, especially the 7.62x54R which is close in volumn for comparable ballistics/pressures.

That site you listed is just 'some guy', same as you and me and just like us completely lacking a ballistics lab. I seriously doubt that what he listed is "......... the military ammo specs:" rather it's: "This is what I got". Without looking I'm pretty sure the 30-'06 with a 180gr slug is good for just over 2700 fps, let alone a 200gr slug and that'd be from a 22" barrel most likely. Since Hornady loads the 8x56R I'd wonder what they load theirs to?

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

I ran these rounds over the chrono yesterday, an average velocity from 5 rounds over my chrono was 2,511fps in a M95 rifle.

Can anyone ID the country/manufacturer for me?

Cheers,

Closey

Boolit Buddy
    Closey,
    Your ammo is Bulgarian. You stated 2511 from a RIFLE , right ? Not a carbine...All my chrono of the M30 Austrian 1938 Nazi ball through a carbine has averaged @ 2396 ...Hornady quotes their sporting ammo @ 2410 and the Privi is quoted from their website @ 700 meters per second , very close. I handload this with the Graf/Hornady bullet to 2350 fps and I'm done. That is my top end load. I've also got lesser loads that shoot as well or better for paper punching . I am going to start shooting cast in this rig cause I don't need the beating except for hunting . My .02...Tedly

Thanks Tedly, and yes i did shoot it through the M95 rifle not the carbine.

Closey

I also got this extra info via gunboards...

"Bulgarian headstamp style: Lion,/41/B-phi/19/ B-phi is cyrillic for "VF"..Voenni Fabrika== Military Factory ( Khazanlak factory, newly-built after WW I to replace Sofia Arsenal ("CA").

It was pulled from a string on Gunboards. Doc. A V.

Boolit Buddy
    Star Metal, I think you are right about the carbine weight. I have the long rifle with 30+" barrel, and it's a mild sweetheart with Nazi or Hornady ammo. The long barrel also helps accuracy (sight radius) and velocity: mine's very nice at 300 yds for mil sights.

Bullets: try Schroeder Bullets 619-423-3523 in San Diego. He swages copper jacketted in various weights for the 8 x 56R .329 bore, about $34/100. Small & honest local guy specializing in oddballs.