MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need .550" round ball mold

In Remembrance

Need .550" round ball mold

I have an original Thompson Center Renegade 56 cal SMOOTH BORE gun. No rifling. It requires a round ball, with a patch. The round balls that I cast from a buddy's mold back in the 70's measure .550" around.

The problem is that my buddy is no longer around, and I'm almost out of the balls I cast back in the 70's.

I've done a fair amount of looking for a round ball mold to cast this size, to no avail.

Anyone have a clue as to where I can get such a mold?

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Grand Master

Try Jeff Tanner in the UK:

http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/moulds.htm

I don't have any personal experience but I have heard good things and apparently he has good prices.

He will make whatever size you want.

our own red river rick will make roundball molds not sure what his prices are. steve k
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

Boolit Buddy
    Duke, Just use .535 dia RB's, patch with heavy cotton denim or canvas material. I had a
    TC Renegade in .54 that could shoot two in groups at fifty yards. My buddie bought the
    Smooth bore .56 Renegade and patching with old tent canvas .025 thick with .535 RB's
    would shoot the same. I would try the .530 RB as well, to see what your gun likes.
    webfoot10

Boolit Buddy Charlie, AKA The Deacon's Avatar
    Try Dixie gun works for a mold, they handle quite a few.

Charlie
    MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

Boolit Grand Master

Goood morning
    + 1 on the thicker patch solution. There may be no limit how small a ball you can shoot by using a thicker patch. But the biggest problem I have encountered is when you start using multiple patches being consistant. I have used mutiple patching in my .69 musket and discovered with square patches it was best to rotate the next patch 90 degrees in reference to the previous patch when using multiples. Two patches gave a bit better accuracy than one large patch folded possably due to the fold seem.
    But in using the smaller ball there is no accuracy loss IF you keep patch tension the same keeping the ball consistantly centered.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

In Remembrance

I've checked at Dixie Gun Works. They do not have a .550" round ball mold.

I understand your comments about adding extra patch material, to make up the thickness. This is a hunting gun, and the time it takes to set up a second patch for a second shot would probably not work in all cases.

I have contacted all of the suggested custom mold makers, and asked for pricing.
    I have also contacted Lee, and find that they want a $200 set up fee, plus the $30 cost of the mold, to make this, as a custom size (which they will then add to their standard mold offering list). That makes that mold a very expensive proposition.

Dang! I should have gotten a mold for this thing way back when I first bought it.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Grand Master

Occassionally you see them on ebay.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    It does not take long to load with the thick patch. Just get whatever mold is close and inexpensive and use leather if you have to. THick patching material abounds if you just hunt about. Old Blue jeans.. tarp.. canvas.. chair material... Just get good cotton.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Mold
    Duke
    I have a jeff tanner .550 mold that I will sell. Make me an offer.

In Remembrance

Does it have handles attached?

Quote Originally Posted by crowkiller2 View Post
    Duke
    I have a jeff tanner .550 mold that I will sell. Make me an offer.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Mold
    No it takes lyman handles.

Boolit Buddy

I shoot a old .56 SB (1985 Renegade) and I use a .530 ball, and a .015 compressed patch.
    It is fairly easy to load, and shoots just as well as any of my other Muzzleloaders out to 50 / 60 yards.

Think of it this way...a .56 smooth bore has a .560 bore and has no rifling or grooves to take up the excess patch.... the patch and ball has to be an almost exact fit.
    Since a round ball has two sides, and the barrel of every muzzleloader has two sides, no matter which way you look at them.... you have to think, .015 + .015 + .530 = .560 (.560 being the exact bore diameter of the .56...at least most of the time.)

I have used .550 round ball from ToTW, but in order to use them I had to have a .005 / .006 patch which was way to thin.
    I had to use a OP card (Over Powder Card) otherwise I would burn the patch pretty bad, even with mild loads.
    (I still use a OP Card when I shoot over 90 gr. FFg...or 85gr FFFg....but that is very seldom any more.)

You can make that SB shoot as well as a rifled rifle, but it will take some experimenting on your part.
    Patch thickness, lube, and powder charge seem to be a bit more "sensitive" for a smooth bore than with a rifled rifle.

Russ...
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

In Remembrance

UPDATE: Group buy interest thread started:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=83615
    ------------------------------------

I have a Jeff Tanner mold (from England) coming. Bought it off eBay. It was an expired auction, which no one bid on. The fellow was willing to sell it to me for the opening asking price.

I've shot thousands of .550" diameter balls from this gun, and have patches that work great with it.

The Jeff Tanner molds do NOT have a sprue cutter built in. You have to remove the sprues with a pair of sidecutters (wire cutters ground down so that they cut flush), which is a pain.

Miha has agreed to make some molds for us, if anyone is interested. I am awaiting some additional info from Miha, and then will post the group buy. He need a min of 5 molds to do this. More details as I get them.
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 05-09-2010 at 03:54 PM.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

My book that came with the Renegade (from T/C) recommends a .550" diameter round ball with the 56 caliber. That's all I ever used, and that's what I will make and use in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by RBak View Post
    I shoot a old .56 SB (1985 Renegade) and I use a .530 ball, and a .015 compressed patch.
    It is fairly easy to load, and shoots just as well as any of my other Muzzleloaders out to 50 / 60 yards.

Think of it this way...a .56 smooth bore has a .560 bore and has no rifling or grooves to take up the excess patch.... the patch and ball has to be an almost exact fit.
    Since a round ball has two sides, and the barrel of every muzzleloader has two sides, no matter which way you look at them.... you have to think, .015 + .015 + .530 = .560 (.560 being the exact bore diameter of the .56...at least most of the time.)

I have used .550 round ball from ToTW, but in order to use them I had to have a .005 / .006 patch which was way to thin.
    I had to use a OP card (Over Powder Card) otherwise I would burn the patch pretty bad, even with mild loads.
    (I still use a OP Card when I shoot over 90 gr. FFg...or 85gr FFFg....but that is very seldom any more.)

You can make that SB shoot as well as a rifled rifle, but it will take some experimenting on your part.
    Patch thickness, lube, and powder charge seem to be a bit more "sensitive" for a smooth bore than with a rifled rifle.

Russ...

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    With the Tanner molds, run them hot, and generally the sprue will break off when dropped from the mold.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy

My book that came with the Renegade (from T/C) recommends a .550" diameter round ball with the 56 caliber. That's all I ever used, and that's what I will make and use in the future.
    My book says the same thing as would all T/C books.

In your initial post you said, "I've done a fair amount of looking for a round ball mold to cast this size, to no avail.
    Anyone have a clue as to where I can get such a mold
    "?

I was only trying to be helpful by saying you didn't have to go without shooting just because you didn't have a .550 mould.

Sorry I bothered you, it certainly won't happen again.

Russ...
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

In Remembrance

No, I'm sorry, Russ, if we have mis-understood each other.

I'm one of those guys who would rather wait and get proper mold than make do with different sized balls, patches, etc. I understand the math involved with filling up the bore with ball diameter and patch thickness.

Again, my apologies.

Bottom line is that I have a used mold coming, and will hope to get four other people to also want a proper Miha mold, so that I can have a good mold for this gun.

Quote Originally Posted by RBak View Post
    My book says the same thing as would all T/C books.

In your initial post you said, "I've done a fair amount of looking for a round ball mold to cast this size, to no avail.
    Anyone have a clue as to where I can get such a mold
    "?

I was only trying to be helpful by saying you didn't have to go without shooting just because you didn't have a .550 mould.

Sorry I bothered you, it certainly won't happen again.

Russ...

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Bub
    Give Larry Callahan a phone call at 636-475-7444 Pevely, MO
    Or email him at callahanrifles@yahoo.com

He should be able to cut a bag mold for your needs, but of course
    double check with him, before I commit him to making it! ha

In today's mail I just received a .562 bag mold for a North West Trade Gun.
    Hope this helps.

outsidebear

Boolit Master
    Yeah, this is an older post, but none the less, I'm glad I bought a Lyman .550 RB mold when I bought my barrel. I almost passed on it, but said what the heck. I also bought a .530 mold so I'm covered either way. Now to find some patch material. If you find a proper size mold, buy it. Sometimes being too cheap will bite you on the butt.
    Last edited by Buzzard II; 03-30-2019 at 09:11 PM.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast