Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sizing 44

Boolit Master

sizing 44

for those that cast for ruger sbh what size do you size the bullet? my cylinders are .432. i do not know what the bore is. i was thinking .430 or .431 . also do any one use lite-gun powder? i shot some with jacket bullets but do not see listings for cast.

Boolit Master
    My S&W Model 624 and Model 24 have .432" throats and I size to .433".

You probably mean "Lil' Gun" rather than "lite-gun". I don't use it, so can't help.
    Last edited by 462; 05-04-2010 at 10:18 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

My Super Blackhawk's cylinder throats run about .431". The bbl slugs out to about .429" - .430
    ". I like to run .431" to .432" boolits with Carnuba Red over a mid load of WC820...

Boolit Grand Master

For both 94 Marlin, and Ruger sup BH, I go .432-.433. I find that it is always best to go big, and I get little leading as a result.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    I would size to .432 as that is what your cylinder throats are and if you are casting with softer alloys then having the larger sized bullet is better due to the swage down possibilities as you seat the bullet into the brass casing. I've seen the case squeeze a bullet's base down as much as .001-.002 with softer alloys. If you plan on hard alloys then you should still be ok with .432 as well providing the loaded round will fit in the chambers (which is should chamber with no issues). Also noted many people size bullets larger than the cylinder throats (me included with softer alloys) and have great success as well.

If you haven't read this already here is a thread I posted up regarding bullet diameters and how it can be effected by the brass during the seating process.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=82656

Lil Gun is a powder that has been used with upper end loads with success and although I am possibly a bit over cautious of it, I have read post where it has created forcing cone damage. I personally will stick with AA#9, 2400, or H110 for my mid-upper to upper loads
    Last edited by RobS; 05-03-2010 at 01:24 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use Lil'Gun in my .44's, it's about the same burn rate as H-110 in the .44, different (faster burning) as the caliber increases.

My Ruger RH has .432" throats and a .430" groove diameter.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Lil' Gun is a wonderful powder. I just started using it and it is very clean burning; +1 over H-110! I really like it- meters really well, same if not a little better velocities as 110 even with a standard primer, and did I mention that it burns clean?
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    My SBHH slugs out .430" to .4305" The cylinders slug out .432" to .4325". I've been sizing to
    .430" and have been getting some leading. I'm about to get a .432" die for my Star. I've tried
    2400 and #9 and like the #9 a lot better than the 2400.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 686 View Post
    for those that cast for ruger sbh what size do you size the bullet? my cylinders are .432. i do not know what the bore is. i was thinking .430 or .431 . also do any one use lite-gun powder? i shot some with jacket bullets but do not see listings for cast.
    If your cylinders run .432, I would go with a .432 boolit.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

Banned

Other then the RD molds I don't know how much luck anyone has to find larger molds. They almost need to be custom.
    Most molds will need hard lead, water or oven hardened so they will grow a little.
    I would not trust Lee, Lyman or RCBS to cast large enough. Seems as if after all these years, mold makers would know what we need.

Boolit Master
    i ordered a .432.5 star sizing die. last night i casted some with my new rcbs 240 gr sil. mold. perty hard lead. i was getting .430-.431 . i will add more liontype next time.

Boolit Master
    "Beagle" your mould. It'll drop fatter boolits.

Boolit Master
    beagle is that the same as laping it? will you incress the steel mold that much?

Boolit Master

Beagling is simple putting something (alum tape) in between the mold blocks to hold them out a tad, makes fatter boolits . . .
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master
    DO not think i will do that. the bullet would be out of round.

Boolit Master
    Search beagling.

Your ultimate solution is up to you, but aluminum foil tape is inexpensive, the method works, and it is reversible. Lapping is another solution, but it is permanent. Customs moulds are expensive. I've beagled and lapped, all with the desired results. I can't affore a custom mould.

Boolit Grand Master

I suggest you listen to the experts on this one. Beagling has been shown to work very
    well and as 462 points out, is cheap, quick for a test, and reversible without any damage.
    Turns out that out of round a touch is either eliminated during sizing or during the launching
    cycle.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I have a Lee mold that drops them at .433 with my alloy. It's the big one, 310 gr. IIRC. They shoot about 3" at 50 yds. with my shaky grip. Do kick some though. Also, I just read a post on the CBA forum by Dale53, a .44 authority in my opinion, he says he uses .430 most of the time with a bhn about 15, plain base to 1500 fps no leading. I'm still perfecting my .44 loads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dualsport View Post
    Also, I just read a post on the CBA forum by Dale53, a .44 authority in my opinion, he says he uses .430 most of the time with a bhn about 15, plain base to 1500 fps no leading. I'm still perfecting my .44 loads.
    Interesting with a plain base at 1500 fps. I wonder what weight his plain base bullet is for this velocity???

Boolit Master
    I think he was talking about the Lee 430-310 which he designed. I'm not positive about that, I'll reread the post next time I'm there. Dale has a lot of posts here and on the CBA forum if you want to read up on cast boolits in the .44 Mag. I'm not saying he's the only one around that knows his .44s, just that he's shot 'em a lot and shares his knowledge. I know he helped me with a problematic SBH. You can check out the CBA forum too, there's a lot of info available there, just not the volume you get here. I've read that gas checks shouldn't be necessary on handgun ammo, but they do make it easier to prevent leading for me.