Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MiHec's 9mm HP 125 gn Cramer style

I lubed everything except the hinge pin on the handles.

Also, any way we can get the penta pins for this mold? I don't recall if they were an option or not.
    Machinists do it with precision.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by machinisttx View Post
    I lubed everything except the hinge pin on the handles.

Also, any way we can get the penta pins for this mold? I don't recall if they were an option or not.
    To small At least for technology I use
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Boolit Man
    anyone try any of these in a .38 / 357?

i will try it when i get a day off work. that aint gonna be any time soon.

rm

Boolit Master

Yes, I shot them with my 642. They were accurate but mine were a bit too hard for the speed that 4.0 BE sends them. I pan lubed ten of them, they drop at .357.The recoil was lower than with my 148 gr full wad cutters and 2.8 BE. I will have to make some with pure lead sweetened with tin and try 'em again.
    EW

I got my mold in the mail today! It's my first MP mold and I'm extremely happy with the workmanship that went into this, it was definitely worth the cost. Thanks Miha! I'm on the .45 200 HP group buy and can't wait. This is so nice, I'm not sure I can bring my self to use it.

Anyone wishing to download the full size versions of these pictures, I zipped them together and uploaded them here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/378d3o
    22MB file size

Last edited by ShootnCoastie; 05-15-2010 at 07:51 PM.

Boolit Master

Those are excellent pictures ShootnCoastie! Miha might just adopt those for his site. I would.
    EW

Yes ! , most excellent pic's...very sharp !

Boolit Master

Loads for 9mm handgun?

What loads are you using for this boolit in a semi-auto?

Yesterday I was looking up loads to shoot with a 5" XD9. Powders I have on hand are Unique, Universal, TG, WST and WSF. I usually use WSF for 9mm.

I checked Lyman 49, Lee 2nd, Loadbooks, Hodgdon and Handloads.com. Many sources only list for "lead" or LCN, with just a few LRN's.

Even though I weigh out all of the charges for test rounds, I usually stay back .1 - .2 from max for a little safety margin with a progressive.

I found the Unique range to be from 5.3 to 6.0. Last night I attempted to make up some test rounds, 5 each, from 5.0, 5.3, 5.6. I guess something in my mind was telling me that this seems a bit hot. When I got to 5.6 I realized that the charge would be compressed (6.0 is less than 1/8" from case mouth). I double checked to make sure I didn't get a .380 case mixed in. I stopped at 5.3. I don't want to shoot these without hearing from more experienced voices.

My favorite load for this gun so far has been a Lee 120TC @ 4.5gr WSF. The listed range is 4.0 to 4.7. I made test rounds 4.0, 4.3, 4.6.

TG, 3.6, 3.8, 4.0.
    Universal 3.8, 4.0, 4.2.
    Couldn't find loads for WST

Almost forgot, OAL is 1.130, determined by my barrel. FWIW, seating depth is approx. .214. Seating depth of the Lee TC is .240 (OAL 1.060)

Boolit Master

The weight of your 125, compared to the weight of you Lee 120 will play a roll but it should be very little, in my experience. I would suggest that you start out with maybe a 4.0 gr WSF and COL just as long as your chamber and magazine can hold. Maybe load up some dummy rounds (no primers or powder) and try them out with your gun.

When you determine the correct COL, put one completed round through the hot fire and examine the case/primer thoroughly for any signs of over-pressure. Then try a magazine full, with checking every single case and even pulling the magazine and popping out the remaining cartridges and measuring the COL for consistency. This is called "load development". It is slow but will ease you into a safe operating load and will, in the long run, give you success that is well worth the time spent.

Good luck and don't forget to log all of your diligence so you can positively refer back to it, as well as, providing the correct information back to someone else.
    EW

Boolit Master
    My Mihec bullet with ww, weighs about 128. The LeeTC weighs about 122, but now that I think of it, that may be with 50/50 range/ww +2% tin. I'd have to double check. Still, not an enormous difference.

I always use the barrel and dummy rounds to determine OAL. See original post.

I did go to the range today and had success with the range of loads/powders I mentioned above. I did NOT shoot the Unique rounds I made up. Also, this bullet eliminated the year long leading problem I've been having with this gun. See this post about that:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...587#post897587

Quote Originally Posted by Edubya View Post
    When you determine the correct COL, put one completed round through the hot fire and examine the case/primer thoroughly for any signs of over-pressure. Then try a magazine full, with checking every single case and even pulling the magazine and popping out the remaining cartridges and measuring the COL for consistency. This is called "load development". It is slow but will ease you into a safe operating load and will, in the long run, give you success that is well worth the time spent.
    Yep, I already follow this same procedure. Thanks for your input!

Vendor Sponsor

I have some over order molds. So if you want one please PM me.

Mostly they are .357-125 as cast
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Finally got my artwork today! As nice as the others! Thanks Miha!
    Any favorate loads yet? I have Unique, Red Dot and Bullseye on my bench.

Boolit Mold
    Did some casting and testing of the hollow points and found them to be awesome shooters. The mold casts some really nice bullets and they shot as nice as they looked after sizing them to 356 with a star sizer die from lathesmith, another nice piece of work.

A few bullets from the mold and sized without lube.

thirteen shot group that a friend shot off the bench at fifty yards with his 1911 9mm the small holes are from his 22

]

Thank you again, Miha for some beautiful molds.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for your mold, realy good work! Fast delivery.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daddyfixit View Post
    Finally got my artwork today! As nice as the others! Thanks Miha!
    Any favorate loads yet? I have Unique, Red Dot and Bullseye on my bench.
    So far I've tested the BE at 4.0gr gives 1,140 +/- 20FPS, with 3.8gr I got a few stovepipes. BTW these were loaded at 1.125" and they were the .357 mould but measured .3577-.3580" and shot out of my XD9 5" with BAR-STO barrel and 20lbs spring.

Shot the same boolit today with 4.3gr of Unique (same load otherwise and same gun). I had numerous stovepipes and stopped after one magazine full (16 rds).

All boolits weighed right at 125 and were 12BHN. That alloy was with 4 lbs. of Linotype and 12 lbs. of WW. The few recovered bullets were properly mushroomed and had shed several (6-10) grains of weight. Even the 4.3 Unique that were averaging 1,000 FPS.

This boolit has become my favorite to shoot and one of my favorite moulds. Casting was a little tricky at first, you've got to crank up the heat to 800*+, even with this small pill.

EW

PS: I ran these through a .358 sizer in the SAECO that I already had set up with homemade lube for my 38.
    Last edited by Edubya; 05-26-2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: PS

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Edubya View Post
    Shot the same boolit today with 4.3gr of Unique (same load otherwise and same gun). I had numerous stovepipes and stopped after one magazine full (16 rds).

... Even the 4.3 Unique that were averaging 1,000 FPS.

This boolit has become my favorite to shoot and one of my favorite moulds. Casting was a little tricky at first, you've got to crank up the heat to 800*+, even with this small pill..
    My experience this past weekend was a bit less inspiring. Same gun, oem barrel. WW alloy, sized to .358. My TG loads of 3.9 were horribly inaccurate, even at 7 yds. I'll up some more at 3.6 (min) - 3.8.

I had 5 each of Unique at 5.0 and 5.3gr. OAL = 1.130 +/- .002. Nearly every round of Unique hit about an inch high and a half inch to the right. If I had been aiming at the same spot, they probably would have gone through the same hole. I also noticed a lot of flash and considerable muzzle flip. I figured I'd try around 4.5 - 4.7 to see if that's an improvement.

At least this bullet solved my leading issue with this gun!

I found that I didn't have to go to high heat. Pressure casting did the trick for me. Although I don't know my actual alloy temp, the knob on the 4-20 is at 7.5. I found that after preheating on a hot plate and alternating between this mold and the 200hp, I was able to keep a very comfortable pace and produce consistent bullets.

The other day I cast using a much softer alloy - a mixture of range, pure, ww, and a small amount of tin. They would not size to .358, so I went with .357. I'll try a handful to see how that affects the leading issue and/or accuracy.

Got my mold today. What a stunning bit of kit it is! This is without doubt the nicest tool I have. I just hope the boolits shoot half as good as the mold looks. Now where's my dripomatic??

Thanks!!

so, when is the next group buy? I want one

Quote Originally Posted by JesseCJC View Post
    so, when is the next group buy? I want one
    See post 51
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Mold
    did you do any of these in 4 hole or 6 hole?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast