Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MiHec's 9mm HP 125 gn Cramer style

Boolit Master

MiHec's 9mm HP 125 gn Cramer style

It took a year from the beginning but it paid off today! My 0.357 HP 125 gn Cramer style mould from Miha in Slovenija came in today. It was absolutely a gorgeous tool!

I cleaned it real good and used some of his special lube on the alignment pins and the spue plate, just like you would do with Bull Plate's lube. Then went to insert the HP pins and they would not go. I tried turning them upside down and in either side of the blocks. I was ready to cast and did not want to have to wait so I took an inch wide strip of 220 grit wet/dry and polished off enough metal to get the pins working.

I had already decided to use about 5 lbs of Linotype with 10 lbs of ww for the alloy. I put the mould on the hot plate and in 20 mins. or so started casting 9mm, HP boolits. I cast about 400 boolits. I started messing with the mould and HP pins at 6:00 this evening and finished at 7:55.

I sat down and weighed out ten or twelve boolits and they were all 124 +/- 0.2 grs. I did a close inspection of each and everyone of them and I have 270 that I will shoot. I am not use to casting my boolits at 800 degrees. I had a lot of rejects due to the base not being crisp and a some that apparently got some oil in them. I tried to be so careful, but I'm pretty particular with my finished product and will run those back through.

I'm very pleased with my mould and will work on some more real soon.

EW

youre killing me.
    "These are not hi-capacity magazines, these are standard capacity magazines. High capacity is belt fed from the can."

Boolit Buddy
    Me too.

Boolit Buddy
    Me three.....
    John D

NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master

Hey guys, I was not trying to get under anybody's skin, just wanted to share my experience.

If anybody else has the difficulty that I had with the spud pins, I tried something differently this morning. The pins are threaded into the spud and can be removed and it makes for a three minute job to put these into a drill and spin them on the 220 grit. Just be sure that you have a good grip on the heads and you might have to dress the head afterwards, you are working with some very close tolerances.

EW

Vendor Sponsor

Hmmm...

If you have difficulty with pins - check at the end. Some times there are indent left from key. Just sand them away (and not whole pin).
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Boolit Master

Miha, I tried that and the pins would go in but they were so tight that I would have to force them back in after removing the boolit.
    Thank you for such a wonderful tool.

EW

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Edubya View Post
    Miha, I tried that and the pins would go in but they were so tight that I would have to force them back in after removing the boolit.
    Thank you for such a wonderful tool.

EW
    Aha. In that case they could be "twisted".(in respect one to another). Re screwing them eliminates this in 90%.
    www.mp-molds.com

Banned

good idea to keep them a tad tight at first. When the mold heats up they work fine and after a while they kind of wear in.

edubya, I was just a-kiddin now! I got mine today folks and I am very pleased. washed it with warm soapy water and set the pot to 800. i let 'er warm up on top and with a 50/50 ww/PB mix she started throwin beauties afthe 7 or 8 casts. Seriously, this one seemed to have no break in issues! Pins fit fine, boolits drop right out, sprue plate not too tight or too loose. I cast about 750 or 800 and they are gorgeous. they weigh in around the 129 mark at my alloy and I am water droppin' to keep 'em stiff. These moulds all have thier own personality especially during break in and this time I really got a good one! Thanks Miha!!
    "These are not hi-capacity magazines, these are standard capacity magazines. High capacity is belt fed from the can."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bulltipper View Post
    edubya, I was just a-kiddin now! I got mine today folks and I am very pleased. washed it with warm soapy water and set the pot to 800. i let 'er warm up on top and with a 50/50 ww/PB mix she started throwin beauties afthe 7 or 8 casts. Seriously, this one seemed to have no break in issues! Pins fit fine, boolits drop right out, sprue plate not too tight or too loose. I cast about 750 or 800 and they are gorgeous. they weigh in around the 129 mark at my alloy and I am water droppin' to keep 'em stiff. These moulds all have thier own personality especially during break in and this time I really got a good one! Thanks Miha!!
    Really glad to hear you got your's, I wasn't about to give mine up!

I tickled to death that they turned out so nice, I was a little hesitant about the length of time that I waited for my first GB order.

Mine tested at 12-14 BHN today. That's about as hard as I want a HP and that may be too hard.

I had requested 0.357" and they drop at 0.357. I might just pan lube some and get them on the range in a couple of days. The .357 will fit the .38 as well as the 9mm. I have got to get some more of the Mihec 503 HP loaded up and will be attempting to get some captured boolits from both the 9mm and the .44, maybe even the .38 to photograph and post results soon.

EW

In Remembrance

Pins are a bit tight, but some use of the sample lube that came with them worked wonders. I'm guessing that they will be better when the mold gets hot.

I'm very (VERY!!!!!) happy with the mold. Will feel comfortable buying any mold in the future.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I have a few of his moulds some the pins are tight what I did was loosen one of the pins rods on the sticking pin then they go to sliding real easy. That will not effect anything that I can see but makes them slide real nice. Also with the lube and reg stuff.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master

The mould holds the spud real tight, loose pins should not be a problem and it's so nice to simply flip the mould over and tap the handles lightly then flip the handle over and draw some more lead into the mould.

EW

Vendor Sponsor

Pictures

For all of you still waiting.....

.....somethink to look at.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mp-molds_9_125HP.jpg  
    www.mp-molds.com

Got my two moulds today. They look beautiful. Thank you Miha.

hicard
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

I am really drooling now after looking at the photos!!! Can't wait!!

Received my mold yesterday and like some others the pins are extremely tight. Did the sanding thing to the pins, lubed them. Still tight but not bad. No need for the clips.
    Started casting today and found out that the mold and my alloy has to be real hot.
    This is my first brass mold and after reaching the right temp, the mold started dropping out perfect boolits. Wound up with about 500 keepers. Boolits dropped out at 126grs and .357. Will test them out Tuesday.
    Another job well done by Miha.
    Thanks, Alan
    Last edited by putteral; 05-01-2010 at 02:33 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I finally loaded some solids up. they came out at 129 grains and .3595 in size. I plan on using these in a Winchester 94 .357 with a 24'' barrel for silhouette.
    I only shot three rounds but it looks like they will work. Monday i'll take a bunch out to 100 yards and post back the results. these were at 50 yards offhand.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Boolit Master

Jimmey, that's some mighty good shootin' there. What was your alloy and load data. Not that it would help me, I don't own a '94 .357, but it might get someone else off on a good start.

EW

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast