WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Mold Mod.

Mold Mod.

I have an RCBS 358-180-sil double cav. mold. I load this bullet in my .357mag. I average about 1100fps from a 3" barreled 686. Now to the crux. The GC shank on this bullet is a bit oversized, and the checks are a pain in the patooty to install. I'm contemplating having someone modify the mold to remove the check shank. Comments, thoughts, or feedback?
    The More I Think I know, The More I Realize I Don't Know Nothin'

The boolit should be just fine if you have the check shank professionally removed.

I've contemplated having the check shank removed on my Saeco #393 (38-162-SWC-GC), as I like the boolit, but don't need the check (I use a Lyman 358156 for my high-speed activities).

I believe there is a member here who does mold modifications at reasonable prices.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." – Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

If you search for threads I've started you'll see some examples of my doing just that. I've both added and removed gas checks.

Welcome to the forum by the by.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Grand Master

Have you tried shooting it the way it is without GCs? Might be fine as is.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd go with Buckshot with the g/c shank removal. He is an excellent machinist.

Ben

do people have good luck shooting GC boolits w/o the check?....BTW I rechecked my notes, and these boolits are traveling at 1000fps out of the 3" 686 not 1100fps.
    The More I Think I know, The More I Realize I Don't Know Nothin'

Boolit Master

Another possibility is to expand the GC's with a round-head bolt. Spill them out on the workbench, make them all open up, put the bolt head on one and tap w/mallet/hammer/crescent wrench/whatever, just enough to spread the check enough to go on the boolit easily - sizing will crimp on nicely.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I'd go with Buckshot with the g/c shank removal. He is an excellent machinist.

Ben
    .............Thanks Ben, the check is in the mail but it's going to be a bit short My lathe has been out of commission for the past 2 plus weeks. Luckily enough the part I need is also shared by the 10" Logan (mine's an 11") and they come across Evil Bay on occasion. Naturally since I need it they're NOT there!

Bless Scott Logan's heart as he DOES have the part (NOS) but it's $300. If it was unique to the 11" machine I'd be on it like a chicken on a June bug. I think I'll give it another couple weeks. If I can't find one used I'll have to bite the boolit (to remain on topic) and go the new route. I really AM thankfull that Logan still supports their lathes so well, but money IS money after all and $300 is a real chunk for me to pay out.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance