Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: bore wear by antimony?

Boolit Master

bore wear by antimony?

Hello, I have seen this in print and also in some posts: Is there truth in the statement that antimony in bullet alloy promotes bore wear? Approx. how many rounds would it become noticeable? I have been using quite alot of wheel weights lately, as well as an alloy of 1 lb. steriotype (5sn, 15sb, 80pb) plus 16 lb. pure lead. This I use in .22hornet & .222 Rem. Have not seen any bore wear after hundreds of rounds...16 years use. Any thoughts? Thanks guys!

I don't know how. Even straight antimony is much softer than bbl steel.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Anytime there is heat and friction, there is going to be some amount of bearing "wear". Why does a car engine wear even when there is plenty of lubrication? Is not the lubrication SOFT enough for the purpose? ... felix
    felix

Quote Originally Posted by .22-10-45 View Post
    Hello, I have seen this in print and also in some posts: Is there truth in the statement that antimony in bullet alloy promotes bore wear?

Have not seen any bore wear after hundreds of rounds...16 years use. Any thoughts? Thanks guys!
    Antimony promotes barrel wear? No, there is not a particle of truth to that. Antimony in bullet alloys does not promote barrel wear. Instead, the exact opposite is the case.

Note that metallurical engineers have very carefully designed babbitt alloys that contain a fairly high percentage of antimony. Babbitt alloys are called "low-friction" alloys for very good reasons. Wheel weight lead contains much less antimony than most babbitt alloys, and the loopy myth that antimony promotes wear to steel alloys completely and totally ignores 170 years of metallurgical research and real-world testing of babbitt alloys.

If you should ever notice any wear in a barrel exposed only to ww-alloy cast bullets, you may rest quite comfortably on the certain fact that it wasn't caused by the antimony component of the alloy.

Good shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by .22-10-45 View Post
    Is there truth in the statement that antimony in bullet alloy promotes bore wear?
    False. Just the opposite occurs.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.