Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NOE 454424 in the .45 Auto Rim

Boolit Grand Master

Mike in co;
    >>>looks got to me in a modern firearm.<<<

I presume that's just a typo and should read "looks GOOD to me in a modern firearm".

If so, then we are in perfect agreement.

I may or may not have mentioned - in a 625, this load has about the same felt recoil as a military .45 ACP load in a 1911. I would assume it's because of the greater weight of the revolver. At any rate, it should be an EXCELLENT load for Self defense as well as hunting. I believe it ranks up there with my .44 Special Skeeter loads in general all around use AND efficiency (Skeeter load is 7.5 grs of Unique behind a 250 gr Keith bullet sized .430"). It's funny how that works...

FWIW
    Dale53

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    Dale,
    I have a 4" 625 and it really liked 9.5gr Blue Dot under a LBT 250WFN. My BD is probably about 10 years old. Have you tried BD?

Boolit Grand Master

excess650;
    I have never tried Blue Dot even tho' it looks to be a very nice powder with heavy bullets in the .45 Auto Rim.

When I started loading for this I was a wee lad and followed "Elmer's" directions. Since Unique worked so well I never looked further (don't generally fix what isn't broken). I guess you could tag me with the "old school" label although that would not be entirely accurate.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    It's not the 454424 or even a boolit but I just read an old article about someone using a 300 grain bullet and Unique in the 45 ACP!!!
    Last edited by StrawHat; 05-01-2010 at 05:21 AM.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Mold

Magazine Article

Hey Dale53,

That magazine article about the 454424 you talked about- was that the one in the June 2009 issue of Handloader magazine?

Boolit Grand Master

HotLead;
    Yes, it is on page 76 "Understanding the 454424" by Roger Smith. It bears reading by anyone who casts bullets for handguns.

Here is a picture of the NOE 454424 in Auto Rim cases:

Dale53
    Last edited by Dale53; 08-04-2010 at 10:24 AM.

Where do you guys get 45 AR cases and what Dillon shellplate do you use? 41 Magnum?
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Master
    I just got another 500 from Starline ! I know Dale uses Starline as well.
    Order directly from them and get free shipping !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

well, I am a little late with the answer, but 452423/7.5/Unique gives me 950 fps in a 4 " bbl Model 1955 and 1050 fps in the 6 inch version of the same.

Everybody bear in mind that Keith designed the 452423 for the 45 Auto Rim round and the heavier 454424 for the bigger 45 Colt round.

I have never used the heavier 454424 bullet in the 45 AR round and don't plan on doing that.

Skeeter once cracked the cylinder on a good old Colt 1917 using the heavier 454424 over 7.5/Unique load.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hicard View Post
    Where do you guys get 45 AR cases and what Dillon shellplate do you use? 41 Magnum?
    As others have said, brass from Starline.

The shellplate needed for the Dillon 550 is specific to the .45 AR and a .41 mag shell plate (shell plate # 6 and uses #1 pins) will not work. The 550 shellplate needed for the AR is an "H" shellplate and uses #4 pins.

Neal in AZ

I used a 45 Colt shellplate turned upside down to load a few hundred ARs for a buddy.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    As Chargar pointed out the 454423 is a very good choice for .45Auto Rim !

Jerry

S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Grand Master

To all;
    As GLL has suggested, I use Starline .45 Auto Rim (just recently took delivery of another 1000).

Elmer Keith also used the 454424 in the .45 Auto Rim. In fact, in his own page in the Lyman Handbook of Cast Bullets (the Reader's Digest size with the white plastic binding) he shows the same powder charges for both the 454423 and the 454424 bullets.

The "new" Unique is reputed to be a bit faster burning than the "old" Unique. I stop at 7.0 grs of Unique which gives me 900+ fps in my 5" 625 revolver.

Naturally, all of the safety caveats apply regarding powder charges in your gun.

By the way, the 1917 Smith and Colt revolvers had "tender" cylinders. They were not nearly so strong as the later (after 1950 S&W "N" frames). The later revolvers have heat treated cylinders.

I have often voiced concern about using the heavy loads in the 1917 revolvers. Those old revolvers are too precious to chance damage when they should shoot forever with more modest charges.

Dale53
    Last edited by Dale53; 03-05-2013 at 02:52 AM.

Boolit Master

Quick Load data

Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    well when i throw in the new data, i can only go to 7.3 with std saami, but with 23k of plus p the 7.5 is only 18k at 960.....

was pretty close the first time.

looks good to me in a modern firearm.

mike in co
    Thanx for the Quick Load data........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    Thanx for the Quick Load data........
    Thank you for reviving this thread. It is good to read what loads others are using.

Kevin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    35remington;
    You will get NO guff from me for safety cautions.

One of the reasons I specifically stated "NOE 454424" is that Lyman from time to time has changed the design of the Keith bullet drastically. Casual looking, the different bullets often look the same but the seating depth is materially different. There was an excellent article in one of the major gun magazines that showed a couple of Lyman variations.

It is quite possible that my NOE bullet is materially different from YOUR version of the Lyman 452424.

Again, this is a good reason to ALWAYS question third party accounts.

Again, Lyman cast bullet data and SAAMI have materially different pressure limits for the Auto Rim case and the .45 ACP case even tho' they have essentially the same capacity. This is simply because the Ammunition Companies have always loaded the Auto Rim with soft lead bullets (swaged) and got serious leading if they drove them faster.

A good cast bullet can be driven the velocities that I have reported within proper pressure limits (the revolvers easily handle +P .45 ACP loads) without any suspicion of leading. Shoot those same loads with lead bullets furnished by the ammo companies and you have horrible leading. Been there and done that...

Stay safe, folks.

Here is a page from the Lyman Cast Bullet book:

I would caution anyone reading this to NOT try to use this data in a 1917 revolver. The cylinders were not heat treated. The loads should only be used in S&W and Ruger revolvers made after 1950 or so.

Thosands of shooters have used these loads without issue.

Dale53
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-10 at 14-47-35 1929_Ideal_Catalog pdf.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	294337

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    The Speer #12 , and likely other editions , has an article Why Ballisticians get Grey . Although it's data Is particular to the 357 and 40 + revolvers it sheds a bright light on the curiosities of manufacturing minutiae . 1 chart example shows a 2" example faster than a 4" example .

I've loaded , in ACP brass , 5.5 Unique from my 1969 lot with over 800 fps with both an NOE and Lyman round groove examples of the 454424 . I now have a mountain of AR brass , all RP , to load maybe it will yield different results this time in the as factory August 1918 production 1917 S&W .

If I want to hot rod it I have an ACP cylinder for the Ruger .

On a completely different but related note I have hot loaded 45 S&W in an appropriately reamed 1917 after the 5.5 Unique loads delivered 750 from a 3.5" barrel . The 45 S&W is rated for only 14kpsi so hopping it up to 18-19 kpsi in a 21 kpsi gun is of zero danger and got me 900 fps , with under 7.0 .
    Different guns , different powder lots .

Yeah I know , " no you didn't it isn't possible " , I may have heard that once or twice .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    A lot of those older reloading manuals used data for 45 Auto-Rim for use with BALLOON head cases. The newer Starline cases are SOLID head cases. Proceed accordingly.

Lots of pics from an old Lyman manual with a pic of Keith and his loads. The younger set holds Keith in an exulted status and perhaps think his loads are something of holy writ. I would remind them that Keith was a self taught fellow who, in his mind, was never wrong and was happy to opine on all things gun related. Some of his loads are quite Giddy, pressure wise and none to safe. Consider him a significant voice from the past, but proceed with caution and do not follow his loading without consulting other sources.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Lots of pics from an old Lyman manual with a pic of Keith and his loads. The younger set holds Keith in an exulted status and perhaps think his loads are something of holy writ. I would remind them that Keith was a self taught fellow who, in his mind, was never wrong and was happy to opine on all things gun related. Some of his loads are quite Giddy, pressure wise and none to safe. Consider him a significant voice from the past, but proceed with caution and do not follow his loading without consulting other sources.
    Great post Char-Gar!

I recall when they pressure tested “the” 44 Magnum load. A bit of an eye opener.

Of course EK did blow up more than a few revolvers.

Kevin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast