Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 340 Savage 30-30

Banned
    I'll take door #3, Art, Most scope base screws that are in the #8 size that I've seen are 8-40. Jump just type in what size drill needed for 8-40 thread or tab in google, I bet it will tell you. Off the top of my head it's a 20 something in the numbered drills. Remember my SKS mount came with 8-40 screws and I drilled and tapped it.

Joe

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks fellers. 8-40 sounds right to me. Hopefully I can find one at the hardware and get it done. I have 2 of these 340's and I'll practice on the lesser one first! Then, I have to find an ejector and spring, and a trigger return spring as well. I bought this barreled action for $27..can't complain too much. I just wonder what the morons do to lose the small parts.
    I'm shufflin' thru the Texas sand..... but my head's in Mississippi

Banned
    I don't think you'll find those screws at a hardware store, besides you'd be better off stopping at a gunsmith and buying two, they are hardened screws too, not those soft ones.

Joe

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal
    I don't think you'll find those screws at a hardware store, besides you'd be better off stopping at a gunsmith and buying two, they are hardened screws too, not those soft ones.

Joe
    Joe,

I don't need the screws...I need a drill and a tap. If all else fails Brownell's can deliver in a couple days.
    I'm shufflin' thru the Texas sand..... but my head's in Mississippi

Boolit Master
    I knew a fella years ago that hunted with a .30-30 Model 340 with the butterknife bolt handle. This fella was no kinda gun nut - dang rifle was stone ugly with nasty rust pitting inside and out, and the stock looked like it had been dragged behind a truck. It had a side-mounted cheapo scope that rattled when you shook it and wouldn't group on a 5 gallon bucket at 100 yards.
    I cleaned it up for him and mounted a Bushnell 2-1/2X on it. That durn thing shot better than it had any right to - like close to 2 MOA with factory ammo. Those rifles were way better than their price OR their looks would suggest.
    I won't be buying one myself, though - they hurt my eyes and I guess my .30-30 model 788 will serve the same purpose.

Boolit Master
    Frank Marshall spoke highly of these rifles when he wrote in the CBJ years ago......

You won't find gun screw, taps and drills at your local hardware or home improvment store. If you have an industrial supply store that caters to the machine shop trade there is a good chance they will have them. Brownells is always a good surefire source for these things.

Boolit Master

Drills, Taps, and stuff

Jantz Supply in OK has gunsmith drills and taps and sight/mount screws as aell as knife making supplies.

For whatever reason, most scope/sight screws are NOT any standard that one can find at the hardware, nor a pretty good machie supply outfit.

As an aside DoAll supply in Nasville does not even have a City Counter anymore, one can just order stuff from the facility!

I buy, when I can, from folks who EMPLOY local folks.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

30/30 788 Remington

[QUOTE= I guess my .30-30 model 788 will serve the same purpose. [/QUOTE]

I've been on the lookout for one of those for yonks. Mick.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master

Smile

looks like my 30/30 is going to shoot like others in this rifle- first attempts with cast- I like it!
    Last edited by swheeler; 08-28-2006 at 10:28 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12