Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 340 Savage 30-30

Generous Donator

340 Savage 30-30

Took my 10 year old Grandson shooting today as he wanted to shoot a 30-30. I had recently put a receiver sight on this rifle and was pleasantly surprised with the results. I shot a 2.5" group off hand at 50 yds. The GS didn't do as well but after the 2nd shot he wasn't worried about it kicking him. This is an beater I picked up with a cracked stock and most of the bluing gone and extra holes in the receiver but a good barrel and action. Glad I decided to keep it and reglue the stock. Mark

Boolit Master
    Good to hear. I have a the same gun cracked stock and all, except I mounted a Weaver K3 on it. I cant get it to shoot cast bullets (havent tried very hard) but it likes a hot rod 110gr Jacket Hollow point. I am inbetween trading it or selling, I like the gun but it is takin up space in my gun cabinet and I have no real need for a bolt 30-30.

My uncle mentioned to me that he might pick up a 30-30 for his daughter to shoot, she is handicapped. But with her handicap she would be hard pressed to shoot a lever action, she was born with only her thumb on her right hand and the hammer on a lever action might cause some grief, so the rifle might go to that way.

DK

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Other than being a little rough around the edges . Those rifles seem to shoot pretty well . I had a 30-30 once and one of my neighbors has one in .222 Remington . Since I'm a lefty , I really prefer the lever but for general blasting fun I like almost all the bolt guns .

Jack

Boolit Master
    HI,
    Some folks here have good things to say about this little gun.
    My niephew Matt even has 1 in 30-30 ackley improved, which he likes alot.
    My dauther Veronica has 1 in 30-30.

340? Beauty is only skin deep?

Yep, I had one at one time. Shot just fine but was kinda hard on the eyes IMO..

(Wish I still had it though....)

Dennis

Super Moderator

................DK, your issues with it may be the bore and groove. Some of them had rather odd combinations that a 'normal' 30 cal cast slug might find a smidge disconcerting

The first time my daughter went deer hunring she used a M340 that belonged to my buddy's brother. Wouldn't shoot fer spit. The I discovered that the crown was a mess. It was like it had been crowned once, then the pilot removed from a crowning tool and hit another lick.

After I got permission to have it fixed it shot extremely well. I even tried to buy it but no sale.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Are they the crappy looking rifle with the magazine that looks like the panelbeater made it? They bob up here every now and then, usually 22Hornets or 222s I think. I may have the wrong rifle, if I had of seen a bolt 30/30 I probably would have bought it. I live in hope of picking up a 788 in 30/30. mick.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Mine shoots pretty good with J-Bullets, I havent really wanted to shoot cast out of it although I have a surplus of .30 cal bullets, I have 4 Ideal .30 cal molds casting from 154-200gr.

It shoots 110gr hollow points into a 2" group off hand at 50 yards. Which is good enough for me.

Im starting to think I dont want it anymore, Im not a 30-30 fan, although a great round its like a bellybutton. Plus Ill have that 243 and 45-70 barrel for deer hunting on my NEF.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Keep it around DK . Even with the new varmint barrel coming , the time will come when you'll want to slither up on the woodchucks down in the brush. Those light weigh hollow points will give you a great deal of entertainment

Jack

Boolit Grand Master

Talking

I picked this one up last Saturday at a local Pawn Shop, Spingfield 840E, bluing is in great shape and the stock still has most of original finish! I think he took me to the cleaners tho, yugo 48, Carcano and the 30/30 200.00-67.00 each. he-he-he
    Just about forgot, for 10.00 more he threw in a set of M17 Binos with the case 7x50's, sure wouldn't want to pack em very far!
    Last edited by swheeler; 08-28-2006 at 10:28 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler
    I picked this one up last Saturday at a local Pawn Shop, Spingfield 840E, bluing is in great shape and the stock still has most of original finish! I think he took me to the cleaners tho, yugo 48, Carcano and the 30/30 200.00-67.00 each. he-he-he
    Just about forgot, for 10.00 more he threw in a set of M17 Binos with the case 7x50's, sure wouldn't want to pack em very far!
    swheeler,

Two questions:
    first could you show a left side pix of the 340's action...like to see how it is D&T'd.

and second; want to sell those heavy bino's for a nice but reasonable profit?
    I'm shufflin' thru the Texas sand..... but my head's in Mississippi

Boolit Grand Master
    S Wheeler--

I'd say you did just fine!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

JumpTrap; I think you can see this picture good enough< if not I will get one to you when the sun is out better. I got the binocs because some ***** stole the bushnells out of the Jeep, I got these in the house for safe keeping, I'll pass but thanks for the offer, if I ever do I'll remember you asked. Bet you know how to use all those hash marks in them, they sure look quality built, diopter on each eye piece and they are clear- but just like packing another rifle.

oh ya , the tape is to prevent cyber theft

Al; I think I did dandy this time, they have been at the same location for years and are finally locking it up for good, hate to see the oldtimers cave in, but gotta eat. Everybody wants to live here because of all the pretty trees and rocks, but they don't taste very good to eat.
    Scot
    Last edited by swheeler; 08-28-2006 at 10:28 AM.

I picked up a Springfield version at the hock shop about two years ago and paid $110.00 for it. I snaged a Lyman peep sights for another $15.00 on Ebay. It shoots cast very well. The chamber does have a very slight egg about half way up the case on one side. You can't see it, but can find it with a micrometer. All it does is make you full length size the cases each time. Oh yes.. it is a 30-30.

Boolit Buddy
    JumpTrap; I think you can see this picture good enough< if not I will get one to you when the sun is out better. I got the binocs because some ***** stole the bushnells out of the Jeep, I got these in the house for safe keeping, I'll pass but thanks for the offer, if I ever do I'll remember you asked. Bet you know how to use all those hash marks in them, they sure look quality built, diopter on each eye piece and they are clear- but just like packing another rifle.

oh ya , the tape is to prevent cyber theft

Al; I think I did dandy this time, they have been at the same location for years and are finally locking it up for good, hate to see the oldtimers cave in, but gotta eat. Everybody wants to live here because of all the pretty trees and rocks, but they don't taste very good to eat.
    Scot
    Scot,

excellent photo, thanks much. My guns are older and are factory D&T'd for a peep but nothing for a scope mount. I was interested in how high the holes were above the woodline. Those old bino's are fine quality and while a PITA to carry, are great for the truck, house or 4 wheeler. I have a set of Steiner 7x50 militarys and they are great glasses..but heavy as lead. I have a hard time keeping the kids away from them...and wouldn't mind finding an old set of navy issue glasses...those hash marks were used by FO's when calling in artillary.....I haven't got a clue how to make proper use of them, but I have a pal that was an FO in Viet Fking Nam in 66-67 and I am sure he would gladly explain the finer points of those hash marks and grid coordinates for me. I missed that party by 11 months.

Boolit Grand Master

JUmp; my mother had a Stevens 30/30 when I was a kid, it had a butterknife bolt handle and a shorter barrel 18 or 20 IIRC, sure would like to know where its at, been 40 years ago last seen, a win 94 also. Yep we were a 30/30 family until the four boys started growing up, they always kept us fed.

Boolit Buddy
    JumpTrap; I think you can see this picture good enough< if not I will get one to you when the sun is out better.
    Scot
    Scot,

I need to know what size the scope mount holes are drilled and tapped to. I have mine ready to do....but have no idea what size drill and tap I need to use.

Anybody know? It is larger than 6-40, I know that.

Boolit Grand Master

Jump; I just pulled one out and am pretty sure it is 8-32, but I don't have anything in that size to try, it measures .160" OS dia. A 6-48 screw will push into the hole easily Scot

Jump; I just pulled one out and am pretty sure it is 8-32, but I don't have anything in that size to try, it measures .160" OS dia. A 6-48 screw will push into the hole easily Scot
    8-40 is far more likely.

Boolit Grand Master

Question

OK, bore brush is 8-32 and it won't thread in, too coarse. I dug out pitch gauge and looks to be 8-36, but danged hard to tell with that tiny screw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast