RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's up with the attitudes lately?

Boolit Master

Unhappy What's up with the attitudes lately?

Man, it seems like every post that I have read lately has someone or another "at it" or as Mike Venturino called it "got their panties in a wad" over a little bit of nothing.

Name calling, talking down, finger pointing, etc.- it's all being done, or said it's being done. I think its mostly reading more into what has been written than what was intended- semantics, or phraseology, is everything.

What attitudes are being brought to the keyboard, and why? I know they tell you not to bring your work stresses home to your family- leave them at the door or in the car, blah, blah, blah. Should we be doing that here, too? Without body language, and eye to eye contact, it's hard to actually get your point across sometimes, and with the great distances in physical location of the members here, I'd expect some regional differences, but geesh!

I know lots of folks are out of work, and jobs are scarce as hens teeth in most parts (I'm out of work right now), people are stressing on just about everything I guess, but man, "Can't we all just get along?" (Sorry, Rodney, but it is one of those classic quotes now.) This is one of the things that bring a bunch of good people together, freely exchanging information and ideas I might add, and should not be tearing us apart for any reason. That's just what the anti's would love to see.

Let's see how this question goes over.

Whut up wid dat?
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master
    Plus one to that. I come here because I usually get some good "conversation" to listen to... and maybe occasionally chip in. It replaces the local coffee shop and hardware store gatherings that just don't exist most places anymore.

I value the good things I hear.. and can sift out the stuff that just doesn't matter to me. No reason to get "all hatey" about it.
    Paul

Boolit Master

I know I'm a bit stressed lately. Sometimes buttons get pushed.

Plus most here are strong willed individuals and don't much like being pushed.

I don't know, this place really ain't bad compared to other forums out there.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

It takes discipline to maintain a free flow of converstation without offending folks. Some folks don't work at it ( insert political being's name here ).

I'm thankful for the moderation here, that the EXPECTATION of the board is one of civil discourse.
    trk
    aka Cat Whisperer
    Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
    N 37.05224 W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Boolit Buddy

I feel that this is a good forum to relax on. If you want to see stress, you should visit GlockTalk or ARFCOM. Those guys are wound way too tight.
    Will Fly For Boolits

Boolit Master

There are some recent posts that have been so poorly worded and contentious that I have refrained from posting despite having what I feel is sufficient knowledge and practical experience to make a positive contribution to the discussion.

I' m not going to be baited into a phony argument by people unable to frame a question properly and who lack enough basic knowledge of science and applied technology to understand the difference between the two. As soon as I seem a poster start harping on "respect" I go to a different thread.

Life's too short to deal with the overly sensitive types when I don't have to.

I find it difficult to put thoughts and feelings into written words, and I flunked grammar every year in school. Sometimes a persons sense of humor comes off poorly in text, so I don't get offended unless told to"shove it".

Boolit Master
    Agreed..........it comes down to common politeness and communicating with a demeanor that is friendly and considerate. Some people can not simply agree to disagree and instead turn to a means of an ugly fashion.

I speak of my experiences and leave it at that when I reply to a thread and if I have knowledge of something, but don't have real life experience I don't say much as without my own experiences I feel that the knowledge I've read about could actually be interpreted wrong by no other than yours truly. It’s kind of like seeing it to believe it scenario for me. I really don't see much reason in me giving advice on something that I have no personal experience with.

I do really enjoy reading about people thinking of new ideas and then bringing those ideas to light with real life experiences. I wished that people who have no personal experiences with things would simply sit back take a chill pill and enjoy the tread, but instead we have those who decide to give unwavering advice when they have never been there. I am not saying that a person shouldn't respond if they have no personal experience with something, but for such a person sit there and ridicule another who is trying and who has experiences with something just seems awfully wrong in nature.

FWIW
    Last edited by RobS; 04-06-2010 at 11:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Super Moderator

............It's a blip. Considering the phenominal growth this board has experienced and continues to enjoy (approching 14,000 now, with a huge percentage of active posters) those things are a minor annoyance. For sure not wanted and thankfully a very small part of the overall board's activity.

If you see obvious baiting, and especially name calling and/or personal denigration report it to a moderator. Sometimes tempers can flare and my get the best of us but experience in the past has generally proven that the person will themselves recognize they were out of line and delete their own post. At least 99% of the folks that become members here have been around the block enough times to realize that getting into printed jousting in an internet BB is pretty idiotic behavior and of little value to anyone.

Even they will realize that after a bit of thought

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Fear, worry, and disgust, of what is happened to our country & the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QslV5...next=1&index=1
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

In Remembrance
    It's tax preparation week in the Recluse household.

Even the Doberman is hiding from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    It's tax preparation week in the Recluse household.

Even the Doberman is hiding from me.

You're not deducting him?
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If you get discouraged reading some post just search for the Greywolf thread. You will see what this board is all about. You will never get rid of all the bad apples but you will see the character of the majority of members here.

Quote Originally Posted by ETG View Post
    If you get discouraged reading some post just search for the Greywolf thread. You will see what this board is all about. You will never get rid of all the bad apples but you will see the character of the majority of members here.
    A big A-MEN to that, ETG!..And, OOOOOORAH!

I think some of it has to do with the political and economic "cow-pie" we're in and like Greg said, "grammer". I waddn't none too good at thet neither. Besides, we're not seeing facial expressions, intent, pats on the back, etc. like we would have in a face to face conversation, a bit of lea-way has to allowed and words taken with a "grain of salt," or some "cookies and milk" as shdwlkr says.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I've only seen one......

thread where I thought things were getting sour, other than that, everything else seems fine to me. I come here frequently because the folks are great and the knowledge is abundant.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

In Remebrance

When there were 2500 members here we all "knew" each other and things ran smooth. Now we're getting big and things are different. The flavor has changed a bit and some new faces are speaking their minds, often poorly I might add. It's just the natural progression of things and a reflection of our society.

Personally I'm amazed at the growth and the fact this is still one of the few places I go where it doesn't sound like a bunch of 14 year old boys talking about their imaginary romantic conquests.

I hope this may bring to light that we must stick together.As we all come from different back grounds,we all share the same love of tinkering with our boolits.I have met some GREAT people here and in this sport like no other!Sometime what we type is not how it is meant to sound.Wilgen even took the time to call to make sure what I was doing was safe,don't get better than that!
    Jim

Boolit Master

Good perspectives and comments, guys!
    I really feel the same way- it's a good place to "share the wealth" with good, knowledgable people- that will help a fella when they need it, too.

Not everyone has the same level of knowledge, and those more advanced should be patient with the lesser, and vice versa. There are some really intelligent and well educated people on here, and their experience and knowledge is a great resource to draw from.

Not everyone will search and find all the applicable threads before asking questions either, so things will get repeated, too. "Learning the ropes" or protocols for newbies, and adjustment to change from everyone else is part of it.

Stimulating "conversation" appears to be different to every individual and the written word doesn't always "read" like it was intended. If what is written upsets you, then step back and take a break (count to ten)- I prefer to think most offenses are not intentional, and give second chances. Writers whould consider more carefully their choice of wording, too. Derogatory words or remarks are unecessary, and take away from the free "conversation".

It's good, I think, that new members feel free to participate and offer up their experience and questions- even if they are not worded appropriately. They see open discourse is accepted and encouraged, and want to join in and are comfortable doing so. They just need to remain within the same parameters as we do. I try not to step outside those boundaries.
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master

There are a lot of threads I can't post on due to my personal job as a Commissioned Officer and my requirement to stay politically nuetral towards service to the country. But outside of the Political thread, I enjoy being on this forum more than any other net site.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

A while back I may have said something different here, and added a word or two.
    But that old paint is slowly being scraped off. The kind people here have made me go through a life changing experience, and made me look at my fellow man in some ways I never thought possible. I may get in a tiff at times over what might be said-- BUT---
    I couldn't say a bad thing about my casting brothers if I had a mouth full
    Perhaps some can't understand what I am saying, perhaps some will go through it and then understand---I hope not.
    Settle down men ---we are all one in this family--I have seen it and lived it
    Right here in living color.
    So if you get a little Pi$$ed off at someone let it be--life is to short. Try and see it through there perspective and cut a little slack. That same person may be bending over to help you up someday.
    Don't get me wrong, I am not saying to take a bunch of crapolla from anyone, Just think a little before we type--don't leave an open door for a nasty come back.
    Be respectful of the other guys feelings.
    OK men off the soap box--- for me.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast