RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 338 federal for hunting....

Boolit Master

338 federal for hunting....

I have a 4570 love it but recoil his getting to me so I am looking for something with less kik..... I would like to know if anyone of you have experience hunting with the .338 caliber for whitetale and moose.... My shots will be up to 200 yards...the bullet I intend to use would be in the 220 gr range with a 65 to 70 percent meplat.... aloy woud be w.w. speed would be minimun of 1800 fps to has fast has I can shoot them without leadind and good accuracy. Thank you from Canuck (tender shoulder)

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    That would be the 06 case or any case that holds 60 grains of powder max at shoulder? If so, you should be able to get 2100 fps. Try a full case of 860 for starters. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

338 federal

felix that would be the new caliber by federal wich is a 308 neck up to 338

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck4570
    felix that would be the new caliber by federal wich is a 308 neck up to 338
    Canucky,

It all depends on what the twist rate is. If you are willing to go that diameter, then let me recommend something close in the 35 bore. The 35 bore is the cast bullet friendly bore because of the twist rates. Preference of case shape matters little because they all work. It just depends on how much weight you want to sling.

Boolit Master

338 federal for hunting

the twist on the Sako 85 is 1 in 10

Uggg, Canuck! Too much twist for your speed objective. BA is right. If you havn't the gun yet, then don't get it. If you want the gun, find a 308 bolt gun, and rebarrel to 338 at 14 twist. That would be roughly equivalent to the 35's at 16 twist which are very cast friendly. Your 10 twist is like a 358's 12 twist because both work at 1800 fps with a 220. Go on up to a 35 if you are not dead on with your idea. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    I've wanted a 338-08 (338 Federal) , ever since I saw Ken Waters write up a few years ago . No I do not need it , yes there are other things that may be better at specific jobs . But I would like to have a 338-08 period.
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

OK, then, a faster powder in the medium speed range would be best. Need to get 38-40K cup minimum with that 220 grainer. 3031 thru 4895 would be the entire range in burn speed. I would stay around the 3031 speed first, and migrate to slower if need be should accuracy not be sufficient. Psychological recoil is lower with the faster powder, and that might provide the best accuracy anyway. ... felix
    felix

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    We built a .338 Federal at work a couple weeks ago. It is kind of a ho-hum velocity cartridge, with jacketed bullets. Around 2700 fps.
    I would really go with the suggestion of going up to the .358 size( no surprise to anyone who knows my rifle preferences!). With a 1-12 twist, and a 225-280 gr bullet weight range, you can go up to around 2100 fps, in my experience. Plenty for deer and moose. This has performed well on deer, elk, and buffalo for me.
    I have no doubt that the .338 Fed will do the job, with the proper bullet. Use what you are comfortable with
    On another board, we have a discussion about the most useful parent case. .308 is my choice. It will handle pretty much anything you will ever shoot, when either necked up, or down.

Banned
    I can't remember what the rifling twist is on my Steyr M95 Mannlicher carbine in 8x56R, but I bet you it's 1 in 10 or faster. Another thing, my groove mikes out to .331 as does Buckshot's rifle and that's damn close to a 338 which is .338. The original military bullet weight something like 207 grs and I've been shooting cast slugs that are well over that weight. What's my point here? My point is my carbine damn near shoots into a 7/8 inch group with peep sights. So don't tell me the twist is too fast for that new Federal 338-08. Another thing, I've seen alot of animals shot with a 338 Win Mag and that son of a gun is like the hammer of Thor. If you look at what a 338 mag throws a 225 gr bullet at and compare that with a 338-06 you'll see it's on the mags heels, and I'll bet the Federal 338-08 isn't any slouch either. Would I rather see NO new cartridges come along? No, I'd rather see what they are doing. I was very interested in a 338-06 at one time long ago and then something else caught my interest and I never built the rifle. This 338 Federal is very interesting. I won't lie to you, the 358 Win is one neglected cartridge and one of the damn best cartridges ever invented.

Joe

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal
    My point is my carbine damn near shoots into a 7/8 inch group with peep sights. So don't tell me the twist is too fast for that new Federal 338-08. Another thing, I've seen alot of animals shot with a 338 Win Mag and that son of a gun is like the hammer of Thor. Joe

Joe,

There is nothing magical about any bore diameter. There is nothing magical about any case capacity. Pick a bullet weight that you want to use. Find a shape that makes that weight aero dynamic enough to work for you out to the range of interest. Pick a bore diameter that will handle the weight / shape you have selected. Twist it properly to stabilize the highest weight you will use out to that range but no more. Then match a case capacity to a certain barrel length that will develop cast bullet pressures with a wide variety of powders to launch the cast bullet at the velocity you require to obtain the trajectory level and you have it.

If that is a 338-08, then you're home.

Boolit Master

twist for the 338 federal

thank you for all the reply.... what puzzle me is that I read on the site that many shooter have rifle like the 3006 and 308 and other caliber with twist on the 1 in 10 range or near and do shoot around 2000 fps with no problem the only experience that I have with the 35 caliber is that in the 1980 I bought a 350 remington magnum and you are right it shot very well with cast even at 2200 fps range.....

Boolit Master
    I "WILL" get a 338 Federal at some point however I prefer it to be a Remington Model 7 . And not custom , just a factory stainless synthetic or CDL .

Also if I can get one , I have NO intention of shooting cast in it

Nosler makes two BT's in 180 and 200 grain . Along with the 210 grain Partition . Those three will be all I need
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If you buy Remingtons, get on thier asses, and tell them to upgrade thier bottom metal. Cheap ass pot metal stuff, that doesn't belong on a rifle.

Boolit Master

338 federal

I am buying a Sako 85 .... I have complaint about theire safety wich does not lock the bolt.... but I guess they must have very effective ear muff....

Boolit Bub

338 Federal for hunting...

Canuck4570,
    I am constantly amazed by the comments recieved when someone asks a question such as yours.
    You get the good, the bad and sometimes the absurd!

I tend to agree with StarMetal about the twist. Don't sweat the 1 in 10, it'll do just fine.

I am heading off to South Dakota shortly on vacation and will meet a friend there who will bring his 338-08 reamer for me to bring home to put together a 338-08 cast gun for hunting. He has had his 338-08 for several years and has taken three black bears and several whitetail with it in and around his home in Pennsylvania(?).
    He has been using jacked bullets, specificaly the 225 Gr Hornady and the reamer is long throated so that the 225 Gr slug seats to the base of the neck.

Just right for a cast bullet to my way of thinking!!!

I intend to try to hunt mountain lions with it over a call which is legal here in New Mexico.
    The barrel I am going to use is a 1/10 twist as are several other 338 cal rifles I have built for friends and customers.
    I have a 338-06 on the back burner for myself in the Remington 760 pump as a backup elk rifle.

If you go ahead and get the 338-08, I think you will be satisfied with it.

Have fun and good shooting!!

JL
    Coyote John

Banned
    John,

You're friend done it right. That is chambering long so that 225 can be loaded out longer, thus making that 338-08 every bit as effective as the 338-06. I did the same thing with the 260 Rem I build on my Jap Arisaka 38. I throated it out longer to see the 140 gr bullet out where it should be.

Joe

Canuck, if you get a Sako, check for clearance, behind the tang. I see lots of them without relief, and the stock eventually will be cracked in this area. Be sure the bedding is good, where it is supposed to be, and you will be good to go.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John F. Lang
    He has been using jacked bullets, specificaly the 225 Gr Hornady and the reamer is long throated so that the 225 Gr slug seats to the base of the neck.

Just right for a cast bullet to my way of thinking!!!

Mr Lang,

Beautiful example from a cast standpoint.

A 225 grain lead bullet in 338 bore diameter can be stabilized with a 13 twist. A 235 grain in 35 caliber only needs 16 twist for the same stabilization. So if the 10 twist was required for stabilization of a cast bullet, the bullet would need to weigh ..... 300 grains.

But the disadvantage here is that the 338-08 is a short action. Seating depth would be severe for functioning in the action. Clearly, a 10 twist is way beyond normal reason for cast. Cast bullet velocities would need to be held well below trajectory producing levels for cast in this caliber. It would punch a hole, but ranges would be limited by the 10 twist.
    Last edited by Bass Ackward; 07-16-2006 at 08:13 PM.

Banned
    Bass,

Tell that to my 8x56R Steyr, 8x57 Mauser, and 30-06.

Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast