Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Imr 4831

Imr 4831

I was gifted 3 pounds of this powder, before I dust it on the flower beds has anyone tried it in .303 Brit. or 7.62x54r with a 180 gr. cast boolit?

jim

Should work great.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kenjuudo
    I was gifted 3 pounds of this powder, before I dust it on the flower beds has anyone tried it in .303 Brit. or 7.62x54r with a 180 gr. cast boolit?

jim
    Send it to me and I'll let you know......HAR! Try 40 grains in the 762x54 under a 180-200 grain bullet. should be excellent.

I thought using reduced loads of slow burning powders was believed to (sometimes) cause pressure excursions. I admit to having loaded some cast loads with WC-852 and not have any problems, but just wondering whether it really is safe to reduce a IMR4831 load.

I think the caution about reduced charges of slow burners relates to charges occupying <60% of available case volume. My results with 4831 have been for closer to full power loads with cast where it also performed better than with lower charges.

Good luck!

Sky C.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    The easier it is to ignite a powder, the safer it is for reduced loads. Double base powders typically are harder to ignite than are single base powders. Most stick powders are single base. Keep in mind, though, just because it is a single base powder you should always be leary anyway, because the powder's deterrent might be quite thick and act like a double base powder when it comes to ignition. For example, years ago 4320 was specially coated to come up with 4350 and this latter powder caused all kinds of SEE effects when reduced below a solid ignition point. However, there is no guarantee that 4350 these days will exhibit such a dealie. The advent of various new coatings may have changed the response of that powder. ... felix
    felix

I'll give it a tentative try in a M38 that is akin to a waterpipe with sights. A lack of load info in the manuals at hand was my biggest concern, I'm too new at pushing cast out of a rifle to get off the beaten path, every trip to the shooting bench leads to more questions than are answered.

jim

Boolit Master

Smile Imr 4831

Love it. I load 270 win 8mm Rem Mag 300 Wby 257 Wby Mag have shot as low as 53 grs in 270. Used full house in the mags. Good results.