Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Finally a source....

Boolit Master

Finally a source....

I finally got a source that looks promising for lead. Wheel weights non the less (my favorite). One of the local tire/muffler shops, I stopped into today said they would start saving the ones they cant use anymore for me, they even gave me a coffee can's worth today, which have already been made into .30 caliber bullets for my Springfield 1903.

Now I only have to stop in every few weeks and see if they have more for me.

The other tire shop sells them for $50 a bucket. Not sure how big the bucket is but he said I could try and pick it up, I didnt even bother looking....wonder if it was a 55 gallon drum...that might be worth it.

5 gallons=roughly 100 pounds
    55 gallons= roughly 1100 pounds

Might have to go back and check that out.

DK

Boolit Master
    I have the most luck at shops off the beaten path. The big ones usually have a recycle deal already and if they want cash I keep going. Too many others are happy to give em away. Also noticed more support when I pull a boolit out of my pocket and show em what I'm up to.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Sundog and I don't like to screw around getting WW. Yes, we want them and are willing to pay a good price (to the tire folks) so we can get them once a year without the WW going to the recycle folks. One trip per year saves a bunch of gas, folks. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    Well this shop is about 3 miles from my house and right on the way to "up town," which is the gas stations, food, and lumber yard. I am at the lumber yard sometime more then once a day get materials and pricing for jobs.

Dk

Boolit Master

You better check your math. The full 55 gal. drum at the scrap metal place I go to was weighed at 1700+ lbs.

Beau
    At one with the gun.

glad to here you found some ww dk17hmr
    I have a tire shop that is saving all there ww for me to and I go by about once a month the last two times I have been there they have had a full 5gal bucket for me thats a 5gal bucket a month more than I can shoot
    My idea of gun control is a firm grip

I was very depressed after today's ww scrounging expedition. No one in this area has EVER charged for wheel weights. The shop where I went last fall (and many times before) & I was told they were happy to find someone to haul them away told me that if I had no cash to offer then to get the f*ck out of there. I have (had)been doing business with them for over 20 years and have spent thousands there. Guess they lost a customer, you think? The closest shop to me (whom I have been buying tires at for 30 years) told me I could have what they had on hand (about 2.5gal, which I took happily) but that someone had made them an offer to buy whatever they had on hand every 6 months at $30/5gal bucket. Two of my other regular stops were happy to see me and "won't sell to none of them flatlanders", so I ended up with two 5gal buckets where I usually got four or five. Two more shops just north of here to try, so we'll see. The times they are a changin'.
    Born OK the first time.

Boolit Bub
    Came home the other day to six boxes of brand spankin' new ww's sitting in my driveway. About 250 pounds. Seems the tire distributor my buddy is sales manager for had deleted them from inventory. Trading stock? Or should I make clean shiney ingots?

willwork4ww, I'd trade the 250 lbs of new WW's to a tire shop for 'bout a ton of used ones. Just don't tell your buddy...

Goatlips

Boolit Master
    willwork4ww I read somewhere that the shiney ones are no good you should send that 250 lbs to me and I will recycle them properly.

DK

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4ww
    Came home the other day to six boxes of brand spankin' new ww's sitting in my driveway. About 250 pounds. Seems the tire distributor my buddy is sales manager for had deleted them from inventory. Trading stock? Or should I make clean shiney ingots?
    Wow - that's a good thing to come home to.

I recommend nice, shiney bullets ...

Boolit Master
    Maybe I should give out a map to my driveway so the ww fairy will visit me too.

Today I gave a $10 for 1 1/2 buckets and didn't feel bad about it. Considering how much I save by casting, it's still a bargain.

Yes it is about the same for me. I have been getting them free for years and recently I can't find anyone that will go less than 30 bucks a 5 gallon bucket. I go to the metal shops and they all want 45 cents a pound for there stuff which is used WW. I think what I will do is phone the metal shop posing as a seller of used weights, I will phone from my works garage and that way they will know or at least think that I am a seller and ask them how much a pound they give for used WW. Then at least I will know what the tire shops are getting and I can use that when I show up at the door and they start trying to get more money.

Boolit Mold
    I just walked into the scrapyard office and asked what they give for WW lead. 10 cents a pound. Then I asked how much to buy some. 40 cents a pound. Last place I asked said that they sell 'em to fund their Christmas party. I got no problem with that, but now I know what they can get for 'em and I have a starting point for negotiation. I don't expect to get 'em free, but I won't pay above market price either.
    I weighed a half full bucket and came up with about 80 lbs. So, there you go. A full bucket should go 150 to 160 lbs, and I'll pay no more than $15.

BD
    Last edited by Blackdog; 07-14-2006 at 11:43 PM.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I live in a large metropolitan area. Went to one of the tire shops yesterday and asked about WW. Of course, they told me that they have someone who comes by and picks them up for recycling on a regular basis. I asked, "Yeah, but how much would you charge if I wanted to buy some?" The guy said he didn't know, but that he'd call the home office back east tomorrow (today) and get back to me. He called my cell this morning and told me that the home office said they get $5 credit per box (about a foot cube) when they turn them in. Each box is supposed to hold between 50 and 60 pounds. I asked how much he'd sell them to me for and he said $6/box. $0.10/pound. I certainly don't have a problem with that. I stopped by this afternoon and bought four boxes for $25.93, tax included. If the weight is actually 60 lb/box, that's 240 pounds. Add a little lino and a dab of tin and there's a whole lotta good shootin' there for a pretty paltry sum.

Best regards,

Stew