RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: ak47 gas block

Boolit Bub

ak47 gas block

I shoot a ak47 in 3 gun matches and have turned to cast boolits in an effort to reduce costs. the only problem I have is that at 50 or 60 rounds the lead buildup in my gas block hinders reliability. I use scrap lead water dropped with a brinell (spelling?) hardness of about 16. I use lee tumble lube bullets with an aluminum gas check. any ideas on how to clean it quickly or get rid of the leading?

Boolit Master
    My guess is that the bullet is too small and/or underlubed. I haven't had good luck when pushing tumble lube bullets hard, as a match would do. Another possibility is that gas check. If it doesn't fit correctly (as in it is loose) you probably start getting blowby and leading from the get-go.

Do you shoot cast in your matches or just practicing for matches?

Have you slugged barrel? If so what does it measure and do your boolits measure?

Boolit Bub
    I want to shoot them in matches but haven't yet because of the reliability issues. haven't slugged the barrel yet. bullets are sized .312. I am using 14.5 grains of 2400. the only trace of leading is in the gas block haven't found any in the barrel. I tumble lube my bullets then size them in a lee sizer and lube again before loading. I will try the slugging the barrel and see what size it is

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot a conventional lubed gas checked boolit .002" over groove diameter using wheel weights and range scrap and get no barrel leading. Some carbon build up in the gas block after several hundreds of rounds but not enough to affect reliability. 15.2 grains of 2400 behind a 135gr boolit functions real good in my rifle. My barrel slugged to .312. You might need to beagle your mould to up your boolit diameter.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive".

Boolit Buddy
    I use the NOE 310-130 NLG GC and I powder coat, I load mine up with IMR 4198 and go to town but I normally only shoot them in my Ruger ranch rifleS in x39 which they do decent out to 400 yards

I still have around 8K worth of Wolf and tula to burn through with the AKs and the RPKs before I need to worry about that,

But I would definitely look at powder coating and I would DEFINITELY GC those bullets