Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Non lead Stick Ons?

Boolit Buddy snake river marksman's Avatar

Non lead Stick Ons?

This past weekend I smelted my first batch of Stick On wheel weights. I had been laboring under the impression that ALL stick ons were pure lead. Apparently that isn't the case because I had several that floated to the top and I had to skim them off with the rest of the trash. Now I'm wondering if I really have any pure lead or if some of those that melted down were just regular wheel weight material.
    Any thoughts?

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Some stick-ons are steel and others are the dreaded zinc. By far most of the stick-ons are pure lead.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    Even Wyoming is going the way of the lead wheel weight ban, huh?

There are many different sizes and shapes of zinc and steel stick-on weights. The latest I've seen are steel, square in shape, and nice and shiney like chrome.

Boolit Master
    Even among the lead stick-on weights, not all are pure lead. I hope to take some pictures and post them here in the next day or two of some of the different stick-on weights I am finding.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, I see quite a few zinc stickons in my scavenged stuff, not as many steel, but they're there. They're pretty easy to spot tho. I've taken to going thru the whole bucket and sorting by hand. Takes longer, but I don't want any contamination.

Boolit Buddy
    I just went through a 160lb bucket and came across plenty of steel and zinc stickons. Good thing is, they stand out allot more clearly than the standard zinc WW's.

Boolit Master
    I had my Maxima in for a balance at Costco the other day. They use 'Fe' stick-on wheelweights. I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more of these as high performance FWD cars have alloy wheels that aren't compatible with the old clip on versions, and lead is being phased out.

Boolit Buddy
    I've gotten parinoid enough that I pinch every wheel weight with a pair of side cutters before I drop it in the "melt Bucket".
    Rex

Boolit Buddy
    ~i pinch them too. can never be to careful when you got alloy on the line. also got a magnet on a string round my neck.
    Whoever Smelt it, Delt it -----Greenhorn44

---When Life Gives You Lemons, You Supposed to Make Lemonade, with a 17HMR------Greenhorn44

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    Most of the nonlead stickons are obviously not lead. Anything that doesn't look like tape-weight style stickons gets put to the side. Any of those that do not obviously appear to be Zn or Fe get the pliers test. I've been pleasantly surprised at the ones that turn out to be lead.

There are some 1/4 oz unit stick ons that look identical to the common 1/4 oz lead strip stickons, but they are iron painted silver. Fooled me once.
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    I have not encountered any Zn stick on WW down under, but steel ones are everywhere.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Southern Son,how many you want? Have a zinc ww with "Honda" moulded into the top.

I am the lucky owner of a new MV Agusta motorbike. (v fast v tasty) The stick on WW's are 5 gm and say Sn. Sure would like a bunch of these! Anyone else seen tin stick ons?

Rob

FWIW, here in Finland the stick-on weigths can be anything from steel to almost pure soft lead including tin and zinc...
    I pick the tin and zinc weights off and smelted the rest all together.
    And those Tin ones even crackle when you bend them, like the pure Sn does!
    When comparing the stick-on ingots to ingots that are smelted from indoor airgun range scrap, the stick-on ingots are significantly harder.
    Br,

Jukka

Quote Originally Posted by rollmyown View Post
    I am the lucky owner of a new MV Agusta motorbike. (v fast v tasty) The stick on WW's are 5 gm and say Sn. Sure would like a bunch of these! Anyone else seen tin stick ons?

Rob
    I have a few of these now. I think they are Tin. I posted about them in the lead alloy section, and it was suggested that I check the melting point, but I don't have a thermometer.